Pitching criteria - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Pitching criteria

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pitching criteria

Postby Cards5 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:37 pm

I am trying to find a way to close a loop hole in our rules when it comes to player position (mainly pitchers) below is the text of our rules regarding position eligibility

1.A player may be assigned (On draft day) to any position at which he appeared in 20 or more games in the preceding season. If a player did not appear in 20 games at a single position, he may be drafted only at the position in which he appeared the most. The 20 games/appeared most measure is used ONLY to determine the positions at which a player may be drafted.
2.Once the season is under way, a player becomes eligible for assignment to any position at which he appears at least 5 times. If a player did not appear in 5 games at a single position, he may be eligible only at the position in which he appeared the most.

We require 5 SP and 5 RP in our league. Now there may be no way around this where a "pitcher" for example, Miguel Batista in the 1st week appeared in 2 games one as a starter and one a reliever. So in accordance to our rules, he would of been eligible to be picked up as either a starter or reliever for that week.

I am trying to see if there is some way to combat this? Knowing in this example Batista was going to be a Starter in 2008. There isn't much I can due with Brett Myers since he appeared as a reliever the most in 2007 and was drafted as a reliever.

Any thoughts??
Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it
Cards5
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pitching criteria

Postby CruiseJD » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:10 pm

Why not assign undrafted players according to Rule #1? For example, Batista comes in as a SP and doesn't gain RP eligibility unless he has 5 or more appearances as a RP.

I guess I'm not clear on why undrafted players are not assigned according to Rule #1. I can understand Rule #2 for assigning an initial position for players who had no appearances in the prior season, but not for assigning an initial position for players who did have appearances in the prior season.
Last edited by CruiseJD on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CruiseJD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:30 pm

Cards5 wrote:I am trying to find a way to close a loop hole in our rules when it comes to player position (mainly pitchers) below is the text of our rules regarding position eligibility

1.A player may be assigned (On draft day) to any position at which he appeared in 20 or more games in the preceding season. If a player did not appear in 20 games at a single position, he may be drafted only at the position in which he appeared the most. The 20 games/appeared most measure is used ONLY to determine the positions at which a player may be drafted.
2.Once the season is under way, a player becomes eligible for assignment to any position at which he appears at least 5 times. If a player did not appear in 5 games at a single position, he may be eligible only at the position in which he appeared the most.

3. Notwithstanding the above, pitchers may only be used in the capacity that they pitch in that day.

Or you can abolish the SP/RP distinction and let people use whatever mix of starters/relievers/fake starters they want.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cards5 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:40 pm

CruiseJD wrote:Why not assign undrafted players according to Rule #1? For example, Batista comes in as a SP and doesn't gain RP eligibility unless he has 5 or more appearances as a RP.

hmmm... interesting idea. So what you are saying is that following the 1st week of games, every pitcher who is undrafted to go off of last years stats? Wouldn't we need to do the same with position players.

CruiseJD wrote:I guess I'm not clear on why undrafted players are not assigned according to Rule #1. I can understand Rule #2 for assigning an initial position for players who had no appearances in the prior season, but not for assigning an initial position for players who did have appearances in the prior season.

Once the season is underway, it is a new season. an owner shouldn't benefit from putting a player in a position that he has yet to play this year but he did play there last year.
Cards5
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Cards5 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:45 pm

Matthias wrote:
Cards5 wrote:I am trying to find a way to close a loop hole in our rules when it comes to player position (mainly pitchers) below is the text of our rules regarding position eligibility

3. Notwithstanding the above, pitchers may only be used in the capacity that they pitch in that day.

Or you can abolish the SP/RP distinction and let people use whatever mix of starters/relievers/fake starters they want.

Would declaring option #3 require "Daily transactions"? If so we are a weekly based transactions.

The purpose of the SP/RP is that for the nr of teams we have (10) owners would need to rely on setup and/or log relievers since there are only 30 closers (in theory).
Cards5
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby CruiseJD » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:57 pm

Cards5 wrote:hmmm... interesting idea. So what you are saying is that following the 1st week of games, every pitcher who is undrafted to go off of last years stats? Wouldn't we need to do the same with position players.

Yep. Initial eligibility for all players should be determined using Rule #1 until the player has 5 or more appearances at a position. In effect, you would be putting a minimum of 5 appearances on every player who played the prior year in order to gain new eligibility. For players who had no appearances the prior year, you would still use the "appeared the most" rule.

Cards5 wrote:Once the season is underway, it is a new season. an owner shouldn't benefit from putting a player in a position that he has yet to play this year but he did play there last year.

I understand, but don't you already do this for drafted players? For example, if Papelbon is made a SP over the off-season, would he not have RP eligibility if drafted? Am I missing something? How is eligibility for the first games of the season determined for drafted players?
CruiseJD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cards5 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:24 pm

CruiseJD wrote:
Cards5 wrote:hmmm... interesting idea. So what you are saying is that following the 1st week of games, every pitcher who is undrafted to go off of last years stats? Wouldn't we need to do the same with position players.

Yep. Initial eligibility for all players should be determined using Rule #1 until the player has 5 or more appearances at a position. In effect, you would be putting a minimum of 5 appearances on every player who played the prior year in order to gain new eligibility. For players who had no appearances the prior year, you would still use the "appeared the most" rule.

Cards5 wrote:Once the season is underway, it is a new season. an owner shouldn't benefit from putting a player in a position that he has yet to play this year but he did play there last year.

I understand, but don't you already do this for drafted players? For example, if Papelbon is made a SP over the off-season, would he not have RP eligibility if drafted? Am I missing something? How is eligibility for the first games of the season determined for drafted players?

So using Papelbon as the example for drafting players, I'll throw out 2 scenarios for you
a) after the 2008 season pitching in 85 G (all in relief), it is announced that Papelbon (in Mid January) will be in the Starting rotation.
So owner "X" picks up Papelbon in the 2009 draft. In accordance to our rules (#1) Since he pitched all of his games in relief, he would only be eligible as a RP.
b) in the beginning of June after appearing in 23 games in relief, he gets converted to a starter and makes 23 games as a Starter for the rest of the season. So in the 2009 draft owner "Y" picks up Papelbon. In this scenario, the owner could place him at either SP or RP since he appeared in 20+ games as a starter and as a reliever.
Cards5
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Matthias » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:41 pm

Cards5 wrote:
Matthias wrote:3. Notwithstanding the above, pitchers may only be used in the capacity that they pitch in that day.

Would declaring option #3 require "Daily transactions"? If so we are a weekly based transactions.

The purpose of the SP/RP is that for the nr of teams we have (10) owners would need to rely on setup and/or log relievers since there are only 30 closers (in theory).

No; you can do it for weekly transactions; just say pitchers have to be pitch in the capacity that they're slotted.

There's no need to worry about shortage of pitchers. There's plenty of pitchers to go around and people will draft/trade to get what they need.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cards5 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:06 am

Matthias wrote:
Cards5 wrote:
Matthias wrote:3. Notwithstanding the above, pitchers may only be used in the capacity that they pitch in that day.

No; you can do it for weekly transactions; just say pitchers have to be pitch in the capacity that they're slotted.

There's no need to worry about shortage of pitchers. There's plenty of pitchers to go around and people will draft/trade to get what they need.

So how does a website service (i.e. CBSSportsline, fanball, etc.) makes this distinction?
Cards5
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Matthias » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:55 am

Cards5 wrote:So how does a website service (i.e. CBSSportsline, fanball, etc.) makes this distinction?

The website can't; you just have to define it as a rule for your league to follow.

Although if you just got rid of the SP/RP and just used P's that the website can do really easily.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner