Andruw Jones affected by "allergies" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Andruw Jones affected by "allergies"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Andruw Jones affected by "allergies"

Postby slomo007 » Thu May 01, 2008 8:34 am

I found this quite humorous:

Yahoo! wrote:Apr 30 CF Andruw Jones went 0-for-3 with two walks, causing his average to plummet further to .159. But Jones made his three outs to center field, right field and the right side of the infield, a clear sign he isn't as pull-happy as he was earlier in the season and that he might be on the verge of finally breaking out of his season-long doldrums.

Doesn't it sound like they're reaching a bit for any possible sign of hope from Fat Andruw?

The fact that he is now late on fastballs and flying out to right-center instead of pulling to left is really that much of a positive to think that he's about to break out? I understand what they're saying, but I definitely picture this being written by some Y! Sports guy who happens to have Jones on his team and is looking to dump him to an optimistic manager. Anyone who has watched a single Dodgers game this year realizes just how terrible he has become.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kaiser » Thu May 01, 2008 9:55 am

In all truthfulness, that should be "TWO-season-long duldrums." He was awful his last year here in Atlanta, and at best inconsistant for several seasons before that. We miss his glove in CF, but that is all that Braves fans miss. The guy never, ever learned how to be a smart hitter. He could have been one of the greats, if he had had and good sense at all.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 307)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu May 01, 2008 12:15 pm

slomo007 wrote:I found this quite humorous:

Yahoo! wrote:Apr 30 CF Andruw Jones went 0-for-3 with two walks, causing his average to plummet further to .159. But Jones made his three outs to center field, right field and the right side of the infield, a clear sign he isn't as pull-happy as he was earlier in the season and that he might be on the verge of finally breaking out of his season-long doldrums.

Doesn't it sound like they're reaching a bit for any possible sign of hope from Fat Andruw?

The fact that he is now late on fastballs and flying out to right-center instead of pulling to left is really that much of a positive to think that he's about to break out? I understand what they're saying, but I definitely picture this being written by some Y! Sports guy who happens to have Jones on his team and is looking to dump him to an optimistic manager. Anyone who has watched a single Dodgers game this year realizes just how terrible he has become.

Yahoo tends to see the glass half-full in all of their blurbs even on the potential bust players.

Andruw hasn't looked as horrible earlier in the year and by horrible, I mean dirtbag, but he's improved some and even then, it's still pretty bad. Joe's doing the right thing in having him hit in the bottom third of the order when he's getting good production out of Furcal, Martin, Ethier, and now Kemp.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers