Masterson starting tomorrow - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Masterson starting tomorrow

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Masterson starting tomorrow

Postby YerInUrine » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:26 pm

The Red Sox will call up Justin Masterson to make a spot start Thursday against the Angels.
It'll be the major league debut for Masterson, who has a 0.95 ERA in 19 innings for Double-A Portland. He'll likely head right back to Double-A after the game.

Source: Portland Press Herald

Lets see how he does
YerInUrine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Masterson starting tomorrow

Postby dorje3 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:36 am

can't wait! ;-D
dorje3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby richiro » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:40 am

He'll blow it.
richiro
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lynchman1 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:11 am

Masterson is the real deal.
Lynchman1
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby WyldStallyn » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:23 am

richiro wrote:He'll blow it.

thatt was a very useful post. why do you say that?

I'm excited for his start. he's been very good so far, albeit in AA. he's a sinkerball pitcher with great control who's been striking out over a batter an inning so far. during ST the pitching coach said he could be up by midseason to work out of the pen, so the staff thinks highly of him. one thing im worried about is he hasnt been going deep into games, so i dont think he'll be in past the 5th inning. he should get a lot of groundouts from the free swinging angels
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Marino's Isotoners » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:35 pm

Amalie Benjamin, Globe Staff wrote:A start in the big leagues in April, less than two years after being drafted in the second round out of San Diego State, wasn't quite the plan Justin Masterson had in mind. But he didn't rule out an expeditious arrival while in spring training, saying, "I'm looking to definitely September, possibly have that call-up, but I don't count it out for any time before that."
more stories like this

And that's a good thing, given that Masterson got the call Wednesday night to drive to Boston from Portland, Maine, destined for his major league debut against the Angels yesterday.

It was more than anyone - perhaps even Masterson - could have expected. Not only did he go six innings (more than he had in four starts in Double A), throwing 95 pitches and allowing just two hits, he also left with the Red Sox ahead, 3-1. The bullpen couldn't deliver Masterson his first big-league win, though, faltering over the final three innings in a 7-5 loss.

One of the two hits he allowed was a home run by Mike Napoli over the bullpen in center field, but that was the only damage incurred by the 23-year-old righthander, who didn't have much time to prepare for his matinee appearance.

"I was at home with my wife [Wednesday afternoon], trying to figure out something to do," Masterson said. "My coach called, [Portland pitching coach] Mike Cather, and said, 'Are you ready for your start?' I go, 'Yeah.' He goes, 'Well, good, it's going to be at Fenway.' So then I scrambled to get everything together and drive down here.

"Honestly, I didn't think he was serious. I didn't think he was joking, I thought maybe he misspoke, he meant Pawtucket. I got to the field in about 10 minutes. Everyone was like, 'Congratulations.' I was like, 'I really am going?' "

Yes he was.

The sinkerballer got 11 of his 18 outs on ground balls, including one bunt and one double-play ball. He also had three fly outs and four strikeouts, and walked four.

"When he left spring training, he said he wanted to work on his changeup, and that's exactly what it looks like he did," manager Terry Francona said. "He's got great, tremendous late movement on his two-seamer and as his second pitches come, which they are, he's going to be a complete pitcher."

Especially as he works on that changeup. The Angels' Casey Kotchman sent one a long way foul in the second inning before swinging through another on the next pitch. Masterson didn't expect to use the pitch so often.

"I think I threw more changeups in this outing than I have the whole season so far," Masterson said. "I was real happy with how the changeup looked, mix in some sliders, and used what got me here, the sinker. I was actually real happy with the mix."

Masterson was sent back to Portland after the game, but that hardly dampened the spirits of his entourage outside the clubhouse. About 10 family members, including his wife, parents, brother, and sister, and a couple of friends from home (Ohio), were gathered around the door, his wife Meryl wearing Masterson's Sea Dogs jersey. Mark Masterson learned about his son's good news Wednesday night, and went to tell his wife, who was at work.

"We all screamed," Masterson's mother, Judy, said. "Never thought he would be here so soon. Always thought he would be here, but never thought it would be in April."

Flights were booked quickly, a 4 a.m. departure for the airport, an hour stop in New Jersey, and finally an arrival in Boston.

In the end, Justin Masterson had just one regret.

It wasn't that he didn't get the win. It was that the Red Sox didn't win. That was the goal.

It didn't happen. But even so, if his first start is any indication, Masterson will be getting another chance soon.

Amalie Benjamin can be reached at abenjamin@globe.com

Masterson answers a sick call from Sox
Marino's Isotoners
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Injuries & Player Updates