New to Fantasy Baseball--Help with team? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

New to Fantasy Baseball--Help with team?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New to Fantasy Baseball--Help with team?

Postby xenophile » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:19 pm

I’m new to fantasy baseball. Actually, new to baseball in general. I am so into fantasy football that they thought I would like fantasy baseball. I’m a big fan, but I find myself trying to catch up with all the numbers, statistics, and strategies. I just wanted to get any advice I can about my current team, who I should drop to make roster space for breakout players, which pitchers I should get rid of (should I trade corpas and punt saves), which stats I should look for, and any other advice you can give me. I am in a 14 team yahoo, 6x6 league with QS instead of wins. I have been told that this league is VERY well informed and one of the most difficult most of these veteran players have been in.

C Russell Martin LAD
1B D Lee CHC
C. Kotchman LAA
J. Loney LAD
2B Orlando Hudson Ari
Brandon Phillips Cin
3B Ryan Zimmerman WAS
Hank Blalock TEX
SS Jimmy Rollins PHI
Erick Aybar WAS
OF Garrett Anderson LAA
Carlos Gomez MIN
Austin Kearns WAS
Hunter Pence HOU
Util Jim Thome CWS

SP
Joe Saunders LAA
Jose Contreras CWS
Javier Vazquez CWS
Chad Billingsley LAD
Kyle Lohse CIN
Jered Weaver LAA
John Smoltz ATL

RP
Manny Corpas CO

I promise to do my best to respond to posts on the forum as I become more knowledgeable in fantasy baseball, which I will definitely become as I am addicted. I have commented a lot on the fantasy football forum, but then again, I am very familiar with football. Again, thanks for any help anyone can give me.
xenophile
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Football

Re: New to Fantasy Baseball--Help with team?

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:58 pm

Well first off welcome to fantasy baseball! :-)

For a 14 person league especially (H2H or roto by the way?), you have a fantastic offense. Your OF is a little weak with Kearns and Gomez (Who I'm guessing you slotted in for SBs), but other than that great... but then that pitching.

You probably know this from standings in your league, but your pitching is extremely weak. Smoltz is a clear #1, but the rest of the staff doesn't cut it. Vazquez helps with K's, and Billingsly will probably turn it around some, but overall a poor staff. In addition, your only closer has been doing poorly and may lose his job shortly..

As with fantasy football, trade from your strengths to shore up your weaknesses. Look to move Zimmerman or Blalock for a middle tier closer or middle starter. Watch the Who to Start/Bench thread and spot start pitchers for good matchups. See what you can get for Russel Martin (Stealing much less this year) pitching wise, if anyone is selling low on Sabathia, Verlander, Oswalt go get them.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: New to Fantasy Baseball--Help with team?

Postby Siddo4ty4 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:30 pm

Nice team!

1. Get rid of one 1B
2. Add the 1st baseman and some outfielders for a good pitcher
3. Trade a 1b for a mid-level reliable reliever (you need one bad) - Since corpas is out
4. get better pitching - pick up olsen, wolf, gallardo if available.

Good hitting team but a weak pitching team. Sell high on kotchman. You are also weak on OF but its okay since you have a strong hitting IF.

Goodluck!

- Sid
Siddo4ty4
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team