Hughes: time to bail? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Hughes: time to bail?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hughes: time to bail?

Postby ROC AllStars » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:30 pm

I haven't seen him pitch, but his stats obviously suggest that his is sucking it up big time. He has the ability, he showed that last year. But still, how long can we wait on this guy? I had him projected to be a pretty solid #3 or #4 pitcher on my staff, not WW material. Is it time to bail?
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 2073
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 11 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hughes: time to bail?

Postby Za_German » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:42 pm

I bailed on him in my 10 team mixed keeper. Ive seen him pitch several times and his command just isn't there right now. The velocity is nothing special and he really only has two pitches - although the curve is really nice. I think had it been a 12 team keeper I probably would have waited a few more starts to drop him. If its a yearly league I'd be running not walking to pick someone else up.
Image

Many thanks to Soty for the Sig
Za_German
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 177
Joined: 3 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hughes: time to bail?

Postby YardBirds » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:48 pm

Za_German wrote:I bailed on him in my 10 team mixed keeper. Ive seen him pitch several times and his command just isn't there right now. The velocity is nothing special and he really only has two pitches - although the curve is really nice. I think had it been a 12 team keeper I probably would have waited a few more starts to drop him. If its a yearly league I'd be running not walking to pick someone else up.


Bail in a keeper, please tell me you're joking?
"I never used a corked bat...And if I took it to court I'd win that case." --Albert "Joey" Belle
Image
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1091
Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hughes: time to bail?

Postby Field » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:58 pm

I'm actively trying to acquire Hughes. He hasn't been as bad as his numbers indicate. I think he'll have a very strong second half.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 2549
Joined: 4 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: NH

Re: Hughes: time to bail?

Postby dc928 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:02 pm

I think if you are in a 10-12 team standanrd mix league you can go ahead and bail, but if you are in a keeper league of any kinds it will be crazy to bail now. I mean after all he is a top pitching prospect.
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1247
Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hughes: time to bail?

Postby anti elian » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:03 pm

Unless you're in a shallow re-draft league that has good FA SP options, you bench him and wait it out.
anti elian
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 304
Joined: 4 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hughes: time to bail?

Postby socceryank » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:09 pm

Bail on him 3 weeks into the season? If you drop him, I guarantee you someone else will grab him immediately, and you will be hating yourself in another month or two.
C M. Montero
1B AGonz
2B Uggla
3B Zimmermann
SS Jeter
OF J Upton, McCutcheon, Choo
Util Kendrys Morales
BN Pena
DL Gardner
SP Gallardo, Bumgarner, Latos, Zimmermann, Luebke, Jaime Garcia, Hughes, Burnett
RP League, Marshall, Betancourt
socceryank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 452
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 28 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hughes: time to bail?

Postby Za_German » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:44 pm

YardBirds wrote:
Za_German wrote:I bailed on him in my 10 team mixed keeper. Ive seen him pitch several times and his command just isn't there right now. The velocity is nothing special and he really only has two pitches - although the curve is really nice. I think had it been a 12 team keeper I probably would have waited a few more starts to drop him. If its a yearly league I'd be running not walking to pick someone else up.


Bail in a keeper, please tell me you're joking?



nope not joking - not in a 10 team mixed and young people like Floyd and Cueto are getting it done and available. Obviously it depends on what you're picking up when your dropping him but after seeing him pitch, I don't think hes there yet. He's playing for the Yanks so its not like their going to allow him to continue to get knocked around while shrugging their shoulders. A few more outings like his recent ones and hes heading back down.
Image

Many thanks to Soty for the Sig
Za_German
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 177
Joined: 3 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hughes: time to bail?

Postby socceryank » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:55 pm

Za_German wrote:
YardBirds wrote:
Za_German wrote:I bailed on him in my 10 team mixed keeper. Ive seen him pitch several times and his command just isn't there right now. The velocity is nothing special and he really only has two pitches - although the curve is really nice. I think had it been a 12 team keeper I probably would have waited a few more starts to drop him. If its a yearly league I'd be running not walking to pick someone else up.


Bail in a keeper, please tell me you're joking?



nope not joking - not in a 10 team mixed and young people like Floyd and Cueto are getting it done and available. Obviously it depends on what you're picking up when your dropping him but after seeing him pitch, I don't think hes there yet. He's playing for the Yanks so its not like their going to allow him to continue to get knocked around while shrugging their shoulders. A few more outings like his recent ones and hes heading back down.

Cueto is available in your league? Wow. He was gone the day he became activated in most of our leagues. Your philosophy is more of a reflection on the quality of your league than the potential of Hughes. I know in my leagues there is nothing worth dropping him for.

As for the Yanks stance, what other options do they have? He's not going anywhere anytime soon.
C M. Montero
1B AGonz
2B Uggla
3B Zimmermann
SS Jeter
OF J Upton, McCutcheon, Choo
Util Kendrys Morales
BN Pena
DL Gardner
SP Gallardo, Bumgarner, Latos, Zimmermann, Luebke, Jaime Garcia, Hughes, Burnett
RP League, Marshall, Betancourt
socceryank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 452
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 28 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hughes: time to bail?

Postby Za_German » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:14 pm

Bail in a keeper, please tell me you're joking?[/quote]


nope not joking - not in a 10 team mixed and young people like Floyd and Cueto are getting it done and available. Obviously it depends on what you're picking up when your dropping him but after seeing him pitch, I don't think hes there yet. He's playing for the Yanks so its not like their going to allow him to continue to get knocked around while shrugging their shoulders. A few more outings like his recent ones and hes heading back down.[/quote]
Cueto is available in your league? Wow. He was gone the day he became activated in most of our leagues. Your philosophy is more of a reflection on the quality of your league than the potential of Hughes. I know in my leagues there is nothing worth dropping him for.

As for the Yanks stance, what other options do they have? He's not going anywhere anytime soon.[/quote]

Yeah Cueto was gone off the waiver in my league as soon as he was activated as well, I dropped Kennedy for Cueto and Hughes for Santana if you want specifics, and I don't think either was a bad move. My whole point is that there is plenty of young talent in the league right now. Its not like you drop Hughes for someone like Lilly, all I'm saying is there is plenty of young talent with just as much upside in the league right now and if you hold on to someone like Hughes - who has looked awful - simply because he was a top pitching prospect on all the "top prospect" preaseason lists - you're going to miss out on the other young talent out on the wire. Andrew Miller was a top pitching prospect in 07', if you held on to him blindly you would have missed out on youngsters like Shields and Gorzellany who were monsters in '07 and were waiver wire material in the first few weeks of the season. Its a gamble either way, but I don't think its unreasonable to drop him at this point - depending on what you get.
Image

Many thanks to Soty for the Sig
Za_German
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 177
Joined: 3 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 16
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Miami at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Cincinnati at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Cleveland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
LA Dodgers at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
San Francisco at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Seattle at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Philadelphia at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact