Thoughts on Phil Hughes, Yankees Fans? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Phil Hughes, Yankees Fans?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on Phil Hughes, Yankees Fans?

Postby kcs261 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:45 pm

Is he just having a bad April or is he not as good as advertised? I'm curious to get opinions from those seeing him.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thoughts on Phil Hughes, Yankees Fans?

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:47 pm

It's way to early to say he's not as good as advertised. The kid was the top prospect in the game just a couple years ago. That said, it should be expected that he'd have some bumps in the road. This is his first full year in the bigs, so he's still learning the ropes. I would expect that he'll get better as the weather gets warmer.

For fantasy purposes, he's still definitely worth hanging onto. But again, you shouldn't have drafted him without expecting some rough patches.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:51 pm

He'll be fine. It looks like it will take some time to get him going but I would keep him on the bench for now until he turns it around. I think he will have an ERA around 4 with a solid K rate and plenty of Ws. Health is key though.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:54 pm

I'd say he's just having a bad start to the season. It's going to be an up and down all season, he has flashed brilliance this year at different points. He just hasn't put it together consistently, and I'm not sure he'll ever reach a point of consistency this year to the point that you can always be confident to start him fantasy-wise. The biggest thing that he has had trouble with this year is walking people and he never had this problem in the minors so I think it will clear itself up. His poor performance thus far this year hasn't tarnished his future at all in my eyes, I still think he will become a front end of the rotation starter.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:40 am

generally the rookie pitchers come out and are lights out right away, while it takes the league a few go rounds to get acclimated. i targetted both hughes and buchholtz late in my drafts and neither are panning out. :-P glad i also targetted zack greinke as well though ;-D

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby neoforce » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:57 am

Snakes Gould wrote:generally the rookie pitchers come out and are lights out right away, while it takes the league a few go rounds to get acclimated. ....

I think it is hard to generalize rookie pitchers. Some do indeed start well until the league catches up with them. Others start poorly or up and down.

Check out Cole Hamels Game log in his first starts of his career at http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/gl ... &year=2006
IP H ER BB SO
5 1 0 5 7
6.1 5 4 4 5
5.2 3 1 2 2
5 6 4 2 8
3.2 7 6 5 1 3
7 6 2 3 6
5 9 7 3 4

He started very up and down, but who wouldn't want him now?
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Amazinz » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:41 pm

I think we've been spoiled the last couple of years. There have been quite a few rookie pitchers that have excelled immediately and made a fantasy impact. This is not par for the course and I believe that there is a misconception here at the Cafe because of it. TINSTAAPP! Just my $.02.

I'm not suggesting Hughes won't make it. I own him in Mookie's keeper and plan to ride it out. However, I don't think it's a terrible surprise he's struggling. It's an awfully tough division to pitch in and it's apparent to me that his mental skills are not there yet. He should be in the minors. I think the Mets made a mistake forcing Pelfrey to learn game management and develop his secondary pitches in the pressure cooker. I think the Yankees are making the same mistake.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:53 pm

Amazinz wrote:TINSTAAPP!

There Is No Such Thing As A Perfect Pitcher?
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:54 pm

Matthias wrote:
Amazinz wrote:TINSTAAPP!

There Is No Such Thing As A Perfect Pitcher?

Proven Prospect I think. :-?
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:57 pm

Amazinz wrote:I think we've been spoiled the last couple of years. There have been quite a few rookie pitchers that have excelled immediately and made a fantasy impact. This is not par for the course and I believe that there is a misconception here at the Cafe because of it. TINSTAAPP! Just my $.02.

I'm not suggesting Hughes won't make it. I own him in Mookie's keeper and plan to ride it out. However, I don't think it's a terrible surprise he's struggling. It's an awfully tough division to pitch in and it's apparent to me that his mental skills are not there yet. He should be in the minors. I think the Mets made a mistake forcing Pelfrey to learn game management and develop his secondary pitches in the pressure cooker. I think the Yankees are making the same mistake.

His biggest asset was his nearly impeccable command and he doesn't have it right now so a Minor League tune up might be a good thing for Hughes. At least get his confidence back to trust his stuff so he isn't nibbling as much.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers