What's the deal with James Shields? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's the deal with James Shields?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's the deal with James Shields?

Postby urbanbreez » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:51 pm

Looks like he's getting rocked -- again, today. I traded Cueto for him in a cute-little-sell-high, buy-low-move, that I immediatly had regrets about.

Is he going to come around and put up solid numbers at some point or do I get to cry about this all year? :~(

Thoughts?
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What's the deal with James Shields?

Postby urbanbreez » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:55 pm

Ewwww, nevermind. Looks like Stat Tracker was wrong and those 2 runs were unearned. They just adjusted it. Phew. :-D
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:06 pm

He's getting killed with UNearned runs this year which extends innings and increases pitch counts. With that said he hasn't gotten "rocked" once this year. He hasn't been stellar but he's been solid for sure.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby jealousblues » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:10 pm

im glad someone posted this and saved me the trouble of starting a new thread for a dumb question.

Ive never really thought much about the guy but he hit waivers in my league so i figured Id ask:

was he a highly touted guy prior to last year or was he just kind of out of nowhere?
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby YardBirds » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:16 pm

Why were those 2 runs unearned? He walked the first two batters, error allows one to score, and second was scored on a fielders choice (the first recorded out), then retired the next two batters. I would think regardless of the error, those two runners still score.
"I never used a corked bat...And if I took it to court I'd win that case." --Albert "Joey" Belle
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby J35J » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:21 pm

jealousblues wrote:im glad someone posted this and saved me the trouble of starting a new thread for a dumb question.

Ive never really thought much about the guy but he hit waivers in my league so i figured Id ask:

was he a highly touted guy prior to last year or was he just kind of out of nowhere?

He wasn't "highly" because people don't highly tout guys unless they have amazing stuff. Shields doesn't have amazing stuff, he does have very good stuff with very good control....that equals a good pitcher...and that is what he is.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Sea Dog Fan » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:23 pm

Shields has a great change up though.
Sea Dog Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:29 pm

J35J wrote:
jealousblues wrote:im glad someone posted this and saved me the trouble of starting a new thread for a dumb question.

He wasn't "highly" because people don't highly tout guys unless they have amazing stuff. Shields doesn't have amazing stuff, he does have very good stuff with very good control....that equals a good pitcher...and that is what he is.

Very well said

Shields does look a little different tonight though, His velocity is a bit down tonight and he looks to have maybe some "dead arm" issues.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:30 am

I love these Seinfeld-y sounding thread titles.

Shields will be good this year. 3.70 - 4.00 ERA with a 7.5ish K/9. Not too shabby.
TB will get him his fair share of wins too ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Yoda » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:59 am

J35J wrote:

I don't know his change up is awfully good. I would call it a near amazing pitch. If he can develop his other pitches then watch out.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers