Pujols at 2B? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pujols at 2B?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Pujols at 2B?

Postby Slow Pitch » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:54 am

J35J wrote:
Slow Pitch wrote:I think the 'knowledable' members are being re-defined. :-?

Why? Because we are having a debate over something that can't be proven one way or another? This topic is just opinion and will always just be opinion. This is why I rarely even get involved in these debates its fun to talk about at times but really silly at the same time because there isn't anything that can be done to prove one way or another if a guy in 1920 is better or worse than a guy in 2010. Its funny that this topic alone redefines who's knowledgable or not.... :-?

That was Yoda who made that defination, not I. I was simply defined as a troll.
Last edited by Slow Pitch on Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:56 am

Hey,

Did you guys see that Pujols played 2B yesterday? That's pretty cool if your league counts that.

And Larue played 1B! Wow!!! :-)
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby AtlDynasty25 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:12 pm

I'm still waiting to hear from someone who actually gained 2B eligibility from Pujols moving over there for an inning.
AtlDynasty25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:35 pm

What shocks me is that people actually believe that they 'proved' someone wrong over something totally subjective like "who is the best player ever".

Anyway, I'm glad that some of you feel like you accomplished something significant by making yourself feel more superior than me. You 'beat' me. Now I am just going to go crawl up and die. ;-7
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:46 pm

Yoda wrote: You 'beat' me. Now I am just going to go crawl up and die. ;-7

About time :-D

So Pujols played a game at 2B, only 9 more to go till he qualifies............(not that I have him).
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby jnormy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:36 pm

AussieDodger wrote:Another spastic move by La Russa.
Put your best hitter who has documented elbow problems into 2B.

I think him and Dusty both sat Awesome Managing 101.

#1. Weasel your way onto a good team.
#2. Have one of the greatest players ever.
#3. Get "your guys" onto the roster.
#4. Have a costume-y gimmick. (Trendy sunglasses/toothpick)
#5. Look serious. If you look serious, people will think you know what you're doing.

Hey, sounds just like Phil Jackson's Zen Coaching 101! Oh wait, except for the missing #6: Sleep with the owner's daughter. :-D

(But that's a discussion better left for the Fantasy Basketball Cafe.)
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Whisp » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:28 pm

Slow Pitch wrote:I am doing no such thing. A formula known as a Log5 allows one to rather accurately tell stats very accurately over any era. For example: Hornsby's 1924 season where he hit .424 is according to the Log5 dropped to a .411. Tony Gwynn's 1994 .394 is dropped to a .391 because these were both season's offense dominated.

Now 1908 is considered to be the best year ever for pitching. In that year the best hitter was Honus Wagner who batted a .354 his Log5 jumps his average to an actual .368.

If you think stats are so skewed back then towards offense why is 1994 the 3nd best year in the history of baseball for hitters? (1894 is #1, 1930 is #2)

The 1930's were the most offensive based decade in baseball...The 2nd...1990's.

You are also forgetting the talent pool was not so diluted back then as well. There weren't 30 teams with 15 pitchers each. Only the best of the best made it back then in the days of 3 man rotations w/ barely any Rps.

!994-2005 was a time that greatly favored hitters.

You really need to enlighten yourself to some baseball history, you are missing out on some good stuff. ;-D

The pitching was worse. where do you get your stats about pitching speed? i highly doubt not only that pitchers were as fast back then but i also doubt whatever mechanism they used to clock the speeds. I have read articles stating that pitching speeds averaged in the 70mph range during the first half of last century.

The defense was worse. even if you have rumors of some center fielder who was fast, doesn't matter, i still know that athletes are much much more athletic now than they were back then, based on simple running and power stats like in the olympics.

Larger fields dont reduce batting average and if anything the wide variance of field distances back then would make me not trust any player to player comparisons from way back when.

Smaller paycheck doesn't lead to trying harder. i'd guess they didn't try as hard as players today. they just had fun playing a game and getting their tiny paychecks. fact is, we don't know how motivated they were.

Being better than your peers doesn't translate to being better than any other era i was at the top of my 5th grade class. doesn't mean i was smarter than college graduates.

if there was some way to test who is a better athlete, i'd put down every penny i own on pujols. i'd even say the vast majority of today's players are better than anything the 1920's had to offer. if i'm facing johan santana, give me ryan theriot over rogers hornsby any day of the week.
C-MMontero/Iannetta 1B-Hosmer 2B-Kendrick 3B-MiCabrera/Rolen SS-Rollins
CI-IDavis MI-RRoberts OF-Bruce/Crisp/Hunter/Cain/Rios
SP-Sabathia/ClLee/Wainwright/Pineda/Hellickson/JSantana
RP-Putz/Santiago/Rodney/Lidge/Clippard
Whisp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:34 pm

Whisp wrote:if i'm facing johan santana, give me ryan theriot over rogers hornsby any day of the week.

X-I :-X
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 387)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:36 pm

J35J wrote:
Whisp wrote:if i'm facing johan santana, give me ryan theriot over rogers hornsby any day of the week.

X-I :-X

:-b

I'm outta here. B-)
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Slow Pitch » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:08 pm

Whisp wrote:
if there was some way to test who is a better athlete, i'd put down every penny i own on pujols. i'd even say the vast majority of today's players are better than anything the 1920's had to offer. if i'm facing johan santana, give me ryan theriot over rogers hornsby any day of the week.

Whatever. :-X
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers