Pujols at 2B? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pujols at 2B?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Pujols at 2B?

Postby Slow Pitch » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:11 pm

Whisp wrote:it's ridiculous to say hornsby is better than pujols. if pujols could face the pitchers from the 1920's he'd probably hit .700 and knock in 300 HR. while if hornsby faced the hurlers of today, he'd hit about .150 with no stats.

Glad to see the knowledgeable crowd weighing in on Yoda's side. '

Ok Yoda you get Whisp & I get SABR & TSN. ;-D
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Howie » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:24 pm

Slow Pitch wrote:
Whisp wrote:it's ridiculous to say hornsby is better than pujols. if pujols could face the pitchers from the 1920's he'd probably hit .700 and knock in 300 HR. while if hornsby faced the hurlers of today, he'd hit about .150 with no stats.

Glad to see the knowledgeable crowd weighing in on Yoda's side. '

Ok Yoda you get Whisp & I get SABR & TSN. ;-D

lol.
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 7)

Postby knapplc » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:27 pm

There is no way Rogers Hornsby of 1922 is the same guy if he played in the modern era. He would have better conditioning, a better diet, a raft of personal trainers, his own coaches and a zillion people in the background doing everything from carrying his bags to turn-down service. The machine surrounding Pujols since he entered the majors simply dwarfs what Hornsby had, plain and simple.

The 1920s, as fantastic of a time as it was, pales in comparison to the modern era. The "perks" Hornsby and the players he played with wouldn't amount to what today's AA players get today, and that was for the stars, not the regular players. The food was different, the travel was different, the whole culture of "fitness" was far, far different.

You put a man with the raw natural ability like Rogers Hornsby in today's game, let him come up through the system like Albert Pujols did, and you'll have a hitter that will terrorize modern pitching like Barry Bonds in his prime.

When making the comparison between Hornsby and Pujols, you have to first level the playing field. If you're just going to take each player within their own era, modern players will always look better, simply because we've had 80+ years to improve on the system. Take them equally, and they look very much alike.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:30 pm

Slow Pitch wrote:
Yoda wrote:

You know what's laughable? That you actually believe Hornsby is even near top 10 all time .Neither Pujols nor Hornsby are there. Off the top of my head: Bonds, Ruth, Aaron, Musian, Williams, Grove, Mantle, Gherig, Johnson, Wagner, Cobb, Mays, Foxx, Matthews were all better than Hornsby. Hell I'd probably put even Arod over Hornsby.

Sorry you are way off here. First off I said position players, hence not including pitchers.

Here is some expert testimony:

The Society for American Baseball Research, or SABR for short, is the most widely recognized authority on baseball history. Their research in every field of baseball has lead to more books and information found in books than any other group in history. Members of Society for American Baseball Research voted in 1999 on five different lists and these are the results of the 100 Greatest Baseball Players.

10. Honus Wagner
9. Rogers Hornsby
8. Willie Mays
7. Ty Cobb
6. Joe D
5. Musial
4. Aaron
3. Williams
2. Gehrig
1. Ruth.

I think I will agree with them, rather than your comical list where Hornsby wouldnt crack the top 30. Yet I am the one who is voicing the laughable opinion huh? I guess your knowledge base is far superior to theirs & that they are laughable as well? Is that the case oh wise one?
;-)

First of all these things are subjective. Comparing players from two completely different eras is a futile exercise at best. But I'm glad to know that you can copy and paste someone else's opinion and use it as your own. That takes a lot of brains.

Second of all you take yourself way too seriously. I posted a joke saying 'Pujols is the best 2B ever'. Obviously anyone with an IQ over 100 knows that this isn't true since Pujols is not even a 2B. So get off your high horse. No one gives a crap about Hornsby. This is a thread about Pujols paying 2B and people wondering what it would like if he actually gained eligibility there.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Montana » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:37 pm

Slow Pitch wrote:
Yoda wrote:

You know what's laughable? That you actually believe Hornsby is even near top 10 all time .Neither Pujols nor Hornsby are there. Off the top of my head: Bonds, Ruth, Aaron, Musian, Williams, Grove, Mantle, Gherig, Johnson, Wagner, Cobb, Mays, Foxx, Matthews were all better than Hornsby. Hell I'd probably put even Arod over Hornsby.

Sorry you are way off here. First off I said position players, hence not including pitchers.

Here is some expert testimony:

The Society for American Baseball Research, or SABR for short, is the most widely recognized authority on baseball history. Their research in every field of baseball has lead to more books and information found in books than any other group in history. Members of Society for American Baseball Research voted in 1999 on five different lists and these are the results of the 100 Greatest Baseball Players.

10. Honus Wagner
9. Rogers Hornsby
8. Willie Mays
7. Ty Cobb
6. Joe D
5. Musial
4. Aaron
3. Williams
2. Gehrig
1. Ruth.

I think I will agree with them, rather than your comical list where Hornsby wouldnt crack the top 30. Yet I am the one who is voicing the laughable opinion huh? I guess your knowledge base is far superior to theirs & that they are laughable as well? Is that the case oh wise one?
;-)

If memory serves correctly, that list was put together in 1999.

Fact still remains, that Hornsby was the best secondbaseman ever.
Montana
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Montana » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:39 pm

I posted a joke saying 'Pujols is the best 2B ever'.

Which should have been picked up by nearly everyone.
Montana
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:40 pm

Montana wrote:

Apparently not and then I get attacked by some troll.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:44 pm

Yoda wrote:
Montana wrote:

Apparently not and then I get attacked by some troll.

Come on now. He's doing exactly what you do quite frequently. You're just seeing what its like to be on the other end. I have no idea who this guy is, but what he's doing is far from trolling.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:46 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Come on now. He's doing exactly what you do quite frequently. You're just seeing what its like to be on the other end. I have no idea who this guy is, but what he's doing is far from trolling.

Look who's talking.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:47 pm

Another spastic move by La Russa.
Put your best hitter who has documented elbow problems into 2B.

I think him and Dusty both sat Awesome Managing 101.

#1. Weasel your way onto a good team.
#2. Have one of the greatest players ever.
#3. Get "your guys" onto the roster.
#4. Have a costume-y gimmick. (Trendy sunglasses/toothpick)
#5. Look serious. If you look serious, people will think you know what you're doing.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers