Break out season - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Break out season

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Break out season

Postby cadets1 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:21 pm

Danks, Olsen, Jurrjens and Baker all of these guys look pretty good early on Do you think any of them can have a break out year?
cadets1
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Break out season

Postby pangbones » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:31 pm

I really like Baker and Jurrjens. Baker has given up a lot of HR's, but he's not walking guys, so it hasnt' hurt him yet. Jurrjens has excellent stuff, and I think he's the best of the 4 you listed. I'm not sold on Olsen yet. He was pretty good in 2006, but struggled with off-field issues last year. He's been solid so far, but he hasn't been striking guys out like he did in 2006. He has a sick slider, and should be able to rack up K's.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby J35J » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:38 pm

Jurrjens
Olsen
Danks
Baker

thats the order I like them in...
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

Postby Field » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:39 pm

pangbones wrote:I really like Baker and Jurrjens. Baker has given up a lot of HR's, but he's not walking guys, so it hasnt' hurt him yet. Jurrjens has excellent stuff, and I think he's the best of the 4 you listed. I'm not sold on Olsen yet. He was pretty good in 2006, but struggled with off-field issues last year. He's been solid so far, but he hasn't been striking guys out like he did in 2006. He has a sick slider, and should be able to rack up K's.

I'm actually at the complete opposite end of the spectrum here, I actually like Jurrjens and Baker the least.....

Ranking them based on pure breakout upside I have them:

Danks

Olsen
Baker

Jurrjens
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby anti elian » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:46 pm

I think for this year you have to assume that Jurrjens and Baker will struggle later in the season as the league has a chance to see them more and they deal with the increased workload. So I like Danks and Olsen a little more than them. I think most people would prefer Danks because of the Ks, and justifiably so, but I'm encouraged by the emphasis on control that Olsen has made. Something can be said for young pitchers trusting their stuff and being willing to pitch to contact and I think the Ks will start coming. Also, when in doubt, NL pitchers over AL ones and the better pitcher's park.

Olsen
Danks (but very close)

Jurrjens
Baker
anti elian
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:48 pm

Flip a coin. I have the least confidence in Jurjjens though. I think he will get lit up from time to time especially in that division.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers