W vs QS - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

W vs QS

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: W vs QS

Postby Yoda » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:28 pm

StlSluggers wrote:My bigger complaint with QS isn't the 6 IP/3 ER example... It's the 8 IP/4 ER example. Same ERA, no QS. :-t

The ER aspect of QS actually penalizes a pitcher for going past 6 IP. It should be based on ERA.

Agreed
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:50 pm

Yoda wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:My bigger complaint with QS isn't the 6 IP/3 ER example... It's the 8 IP/4 ER example. Same ERA, no QS. :-t

The ER aspect of QS actually penalizes a pitcher for going past 6 IP. It should be based on ERA.

Agreed

Same here, but the ERA "requirement" should be dropped to below 4.00. 6 innings, 3 runs, for a 4.50 ERA isn't "quality" in my eyes.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:59 pm

Well, you're kinda screwed with the integer nature of baseball. You either get 6 IP/3 ER (4.50 ERA), 7 IP/3 ER (4.29 ERA), 6 IP/2 ER (3.00 ERA), and 7 IP/2 ER (2.57 ERA). I think a 3 or 3-minus ERA isn't quality; it's superior. For the same reason, you can't expect 8 innings out of a pitcher, either.

A 4.50 ERA is certainly not great, but I think it's "quality" in an offensive era like this. I wouldn't complain if it went to 7/3, but no matter what, I think it should be based on ERA. 8/4 is, imo, better than 6/3.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Yoda » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:06 pm

Should be 7 IP. I think going 6 is taxing the bull pen since you are most likely using 3 more pitchers to finish up the game.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:10 pm

I feel a need to emphasize the word "quality," as in the pitcher does enough to put his team in a position to win and not neccessarily pitch a complete game shutout. Any offense should be able to match 3 runs over 6 innings unless they're playing poorly. Anything more than 6 IP/3 ER qualifies as a dominant outing and the pitcher's offense didn't have to do much of anything to win the game.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Yoda » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:13 pm

FWIW, MLB average runs scored in 07 = 777. Divide that by 162 G and you have 4.796 R/G.

So I guess I am ok with a 4.50 ERA. I still think 6 IP is a bit short in terms of a decent outing.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby tmlfan4ever » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:09 pm

Yoda wrote:FWIW, MLB average runs scored in 07 = 777. Divide that by 162 G and you have 4.796 R/G.

So I guess I am ok with a 4.50 ERA. I still think 6 IP is a bit short in terms of a decent outing.

That means you are rewarding an "average", not "decent" outing.
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JTWood » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:30 pm

tmlfan4ever wrote:
Yoda wrote:FWIW, MLB average runs scored in 07 = 777. Divide that by 162 G and you have 4.796 R/G.

That means you are rewarding an "average", not "decent" outing.

So define quality for us then.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby flloyd » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:47 pm

I don't buy the argument that since a pitcher can have a 4.50 ERA in a game an still get a QS it is invalid. First you have to remember that that is the worst case scenario. Second, pitchers get credited with wins when they have significantly worse games. Andy Pettitte for example earned a W while pitching 5 innings with 0 Ks and 8 ERs last September.

In actuality in 2005, the average QS had an ERA of 2.04 and the average non-QS had an average ERA of 7.70. I think despite its faults, Quality Starts as a stat has a lot more value than Wins. I like it particularly as a fantasy stat since only starters can earn them and relief pitchers don't scrape vulture wins that are mostly a result of luck rather than pitching skill.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:12 pm

flloyd wrote:I don't buy the argument that since a pitcher can have a 4.50 ERA in a game an still get a QS it is invalid. First you have to remember that that is the worst case scenario. Second, pitchers get credited with wins when they have significantly worse games. Andy Pettitte for example earned a W while pitching 5 innings with 0 Ks and 8 ERs last September.

In actuality in 2005, the average QS had an ERA of 2.04 and the average non-QS had an average ERA of 7.70. I think despite its faults, Quality Starts as a stat has a lot more value than Wins. I like it particularly as a fantasy stat since only starters can earn them and relief pitchers don't scrape vulture wins that are mostly a result of luck rather than pitching skill.

Nice...
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers