Jake Westbrook to DL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Jake Westbrook to DL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jake Westbrook to DL

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:53 pm

per MLB.com

CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland Indians today announced the club has placed RHP JAKE WESTBROOK on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to Sunday, April 20th with a left intercostal strain. To replace Westbrook's spot on the Major League roster the Indians recalled OF BEN FRANCISCO from AAA Buffalo.

That's too bad. He was off to a pretty solid start & the run support was to come hopefully.
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jake Westbrook to DL

Postby Spectrum » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:49 pm

yea that's a tough shot to the indians rotation right now. Hadn't heard this news yet. Hopefully he'll be back soon.

Interesting tho, with Francisco. He can hit, and I've been praying for him to take over the LF job permanently.

Wonder how the starting rotation is going to work now tho. With westbrook to the DL, they're going to have to bring up Sowers or Laffey for a start or two, depending on how long Jake's DL'd.

There's a lot of talk regarding Josh Barfield right now. He's hitting like crazy at AAA, and Cabrera is struggling at the plate. But the whole team is struggling to hit right now.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby gatorgreenwell » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:58 pm

Why not Adam Miller?

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Kansas City, Mo. -- Spring training is finally over for Adam Miller.

Miller, considered to be the top Indians pitching prospect, will start Wednesday night for Class AAA Buffalo against Scranton, Pa. Miller's stay in Winter Haven, Fla., began in mid-February when he reported with the rest of the Tribe's pitchers for big-league camp.
http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/plaindea ... xml&coll=2
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Spectrum » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:21 pm

well i think the biggest reason, is that Laffey/Sowers/Cliff Lee were competing for the 5th starter spot in the spring, and as you well know now with his .40 ERA, 10:1 K/BB, 3-0 record, Lee won that job.

Miller has had blister problems, and if i recall correctly, last season a problem with a tendon in a finger on his throwing hand. He is without a doubt the most talented pitcher we have in the farm system. But the only thing I've heard considered with him in 2008, is the possibility of getting a bullpen job late in the season. That they'd like to get him a season w/o more injuries before asking him to start. And I have a feeling that this has a lot to do with CC potentially leaving in the offseason.

I don't know how either Sowers or Laffey are doing in AAA. Sunday I think, during the indians broadcast, they mentioned Laffey got the W with Barfield going like 3-5 with 2HR.

Ben Francisco did win a AAA batting title in either 2006 or 2007, hitting somewhere around .360. Memory is foggy on the average, but he can sure rake in the offensive cats, and lets be honest, Delucci and Jason Michaels combined make one decent outfielder. Someone needs to tell Wedge that platooning the two, doesnt equate to combining their abilities.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Don G. » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:42 pm

Wow, our league counts ground outs as a stat (therefore adding value to a sinkerballer like Westbrook) but just last week I traded him and Todd Jones for Rickie Weeks & George Sherrill. I'm a freakin genius. I do feel bad though....I like the guy I traded with but he was the one who picked Westbrook. I was trying to hold on to him. Meh, hope he heals up soon.
Don G.
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby West Coast Fan » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:34 pm

WTH is a "left intercostal strain" and how long is he going to be out?
I already got Granderson and Putz on the DL and was hoping for getting everybody healthy for one week. :-P
West Coast Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Spectrum » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:41 pm

muscles in/around the ribs. good news its the left side.

doesn't sound too serious based on the talk on radio/tv here in cleveland. But I believe he missed a month last year with an abdominal strain. Can't say how similar the two would be as far as a pitcher goes. But again, it's his left side. It could be worse.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jswede » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:13 pm

Dammit Westbrook...

The Ben Francisco call-up is interesting -- looks like they'll give him the remainder of the week to beat out Michaels, then likely send Michaels down after Friday's game, as they'll need to call up a SP for the Yankees. Otherwise it'd be CC on 3 days' rest...

Laffey and Sowers have each given up 8 runs on 22 and 23 inn pitched respectively at AAA. Miller is - again - on the 7-day DL. Looking at a toss-up btwn Sowers and Laffey for NYY on Sat.

That's how I see it, then I'm no expert on calling up and sending down
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Spectrum » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:43 pm

I'd guess Laffey will take Westbrooks start this week. Sowers pitched last night. If they bump Byrd and Lee up a start, they could squeeze Sowers in there, but I doubt they think that's necessary.

Wedge said they expect Westbrook to miss "a couple of starts" and that they'll have to see from there. Really no good info from today's pregame presser.

I don't think Francisco is getting called up for 5 days to beat out Michaels. I have to believe they'll keep him up for a while before sending him back down if necessary. Got to believe that Michaels is headed down tho at the end of the week. Mastny's not going back with Borowski sitting on the DL, Marte's out of options.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ataraxia » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:30 am

Rotoworld's prognosis was that he'd be out somewhere between two to four weeks. I picked up Blackburn to hold the fort while Westbrook takes a leave of absence but...

Come on Kershaw, get called up already. :-b
Absolute thanks to soty for the sig.
ataraxia
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates