Rickie Weeks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rickie Weeks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rickie Weeks

Postby Just Admit It Pete » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:30 pm

I just signed him late in a keeper league supplemental draft but I have to assign a contract to him. He seems to be the hottest thing prospect wise but should I sign him long term now? I know no prospect is a shoe-in but what are everyones thoughts on this guy?
"Hey, hows your wife and my kids"
Just Admit It Pete
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

weeks

Postby Just Admit It Pete » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:56 pm

Anyone?
Just Admit It Pete
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bronxxbomber » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:58 pm

this guy is worth it. i'd get him long term cause you know he's getting the job this season unless the brewers somehow contend. he reminds me of jose reyes right now with a chance at a better BA.
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bell » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:00 pm

bronxxbomber wrote:this guy is worth it. i'd get him long term cause you know he's getting the job this season unless the brewers somehow contend. he reminds me of jose reyes right now with a chance at a better BA.

Maybe he's getting the job at some point this season. There are a couple of roadblocks in his way at the moment.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

weeks

Postby Just Admit It Pete » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:06 pm

When you say worth it do you mean 5 cat player or just high avg good steals player?
Just Admit It Pete
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Rickie Weeks

Postby swarmee » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:31 pm

Just Admit It Pete wrote:I just signed him late in a keeper league supplemental draft but I have to assign a contract to him. He seems to be the hottest thing prospect wise but should I sign him long term now? I know no prospect is a shoe-in but what are everyones thoughts on this guy?

What kind of a contract are you trying to give him? Without knowing your league rules, it's really hard to answer this question. Does he cost extra money in successive years if you extend him longer? We need guidance to make a real answer. My current feeling is that while he's good, I wouldn't guarantee anyone currently in the minors. But without knowing how your league handles prospects/contracts, we don't know what's best for you.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Totally agree

Postby sst2003 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:41 pm

Swarmee is right...it's tough to make the call on this one without knowing the whole story.

That being said, being in the city where Rickie will eventually call home, I don't think he'll get the job until next season for sure unless he has a monster spring training. Even with that however, I think the Brewers intend to season him more in the minors. Currently, it'll be Overbay, Spivey, Hall and probably Helms across the infield with Counsell and Ginter filling the utility roles.

Weeks is certainly a guy to keep an eye on, but whether he's worth locking up to a long term contract depends on league rules.
"Fight at the bat rack" I'm a Brewer fan, I see that all the time!!!
sst2003
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby baseball genius » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:03 pm

It depends what the contract looks like and how your league handles contract situations. I would consider signing him long term if you have a older or weak second baseman.

Detroit Tigers 2004 World Series Champions
baseball genius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers