Why not move Soriano back to 2B? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why not move Soriano back to 2B?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why not move Soriano back to 2B?

Postby jnormy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:47 pm

OK, I'll admit, I have my selfish reasons for this, as I'm a Soriano owner and Weeks has been a disappointment so far. But hear me out...

Soriano has now had a succession of leg injuries, so maybe to keep his bat in the lineup the Cubs should considering moving him to a position where, at least on defense, he doesn't have to do nearly as much all-out running. DeRosa's been playing LF in Fonzie's absence anyway, so he could stay in the lineup. I'm just not sure why you'd have one of your best bats continue to risk injury sprinting around in the OF when his original position is much easier on the legs and is right there for the taking -- it's not like Utley's standing in the way or anything.

Make the move, Sweet Lou!
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 15)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Why not move Soriano back to 2B?

Postby mkultra » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:51 pm

He was not a good defensive 2B in NY...
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 50)

Postby pangbones » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:58 pm

Because as the previous poster referred to, he was terrible at 2B. Too many errors.

I'm just curious as to what you were expecting from Weeks to say that he's been a disappointment thus far? :-? He's among the league leaders in runs scored, has 3 HR's and 4 SB's. His avg stinks, but you shouldn't have been expecting much there anyways.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:03 pm

You don't move your liabilities from LF to 2B. 2B is too valuable defensively to get compromised by a guy who was horrible there. His injury back in August was also while running the basepaths, not playing the field, so I'm not sure if he's injured himself enough to warrant a move from the outfield. If he needs that, it can't be with the Cubs because he's not playing first base and there's no DH but with his contract, he's going nowhere.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby jnormy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:11 pm

pangbones wrote:Because as the previous poster referred to, he was terrible at 2B. Too many errors.

I'm just curious as to what you were expecting from Weeks to say that he's been a disappointment thus far? :-? He's among the league leaders in runs scored, has 3 HR's and 4 SB's. His avg stinks, but you shouldn't have been expecting much there anyways.

Well, ok, I guess that's why not. lol

As for Weeks, I play in a points league and so far he's netted me all of 11 points. I didn't expect a .300 hitter, but when a player is fairly well south of the Mendoza line, I tend to get a wee bit disappointed. Hmm...come to think of it, Soriano was hitting a buck seventy-five when he got hurt. Oh, never mind, I'll just stay the course for now, it's early! :-°
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jnormy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:58 pm

I should publicly express disappointment in my players more often. Weeks so far today: 2 for 3 including a triple, 1 BB, 2 R, 3 RBI, and 1 SB, all adding up to 12 points in my league, more than doubling his season total for me! Rickie don't lose that number... ;-D
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:33 pm

He has been pretty good in the OF. I know in Washington 2 years ago he was near the top if not the league leader in OF assists (albeit in large part because everyone tried to run on him). But anyway, he was an awful fielding 2B, and also Fontenot isn't that bad. He deserves to have a continued opportunity.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 135)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby number9 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:25 am

the defensive spectrum..
■■■■■■■■■■■□□□ NOW LOADING

Japanese and Asian hockey, baseball, and whatever else:
http://jhockey.wordpress.com/
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:30 am

jnormy wrote:I should publicly express disappointment in my players more often. Weeks so far today: 2 for 3 including a triple, 1 BB, 2 R, 3 RBI, and 1 SB, all adding up to 12 points in my league, more than doubling his season total for me! Rickie don't lose that number... ;-D

Weeks also almost cost the game by throwing a double play ball in the dirt. He really needs a position change.

As to your original post, Soriano was a butcher at 2B. His defense was downgrading his value as a player.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers