Edwin Encarnacion - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Edwin Encarnacion

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Edwin Encarnacion

Postby AmazinYanks1990 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:53 am

Now that he's recently been on a tear, his name seems to be coming up more. What's everyone's thoughts on him?
AmazinYanks1990
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Edwin Encarnacion

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:15 am

I think he was a great forgotten sleeper coming into the year, and he is proving his mettle so far. As long as he can keep his wits about him and play decently enough in the field to stay in games, I think he is in line for a breakout year. If he is available for any reason, I would recommend you grab him ;-D
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:19 am

Edwin has a consistency problem. He has legit Top 5 3rd talent but lacks focus. His easy fielding blunders also weigh against him because he seems to carry them to his ABs and Dusty Baker hates mental mistakes (I know an oxymoron). A sign of change: Edwin 2 costly plays on sunday which amounted for 2 runners coming around to score. He then hit 2 homers in the game (one a big 1 in the 9th). We'll see but he has a lot of talent.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 118)

Postby T-Bone Costanza » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:33 am

Havok1517 wrote:Edwin has a consistency problem.

Yep. I think it was twice last year that I bought into EE's hot-streaks only to have him take a dump as soon as he was in my lineup. He certainly is tempting me again right now though.
T-Bone Costanza
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Nihil » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:23 pm

I drafted Edwin late hoping he would start strong. I dropped him hoping no one would be keeping on eye on him while I WAS keeping an eye on him. I picked him back up a few days ago.

From what I understand he is a slow starter at the plate. It takes time for him to find his rhythm. Once he was up for good last year, he was fairly consistent and produced well (other than having a bad July).

I watch/listen to as many Reds games as possible and I think Edwin makes as many brilliant plays at third as he does boner plays (kicking the ball and killing a double play was hard to watch).

Right now, I think Baker is more worried about his starting rotation than he is about the mental lapses Encarnacion is making at third. They are costing the team WAY more runs than he is. I think Edwin has some time to work things out at third without worrying about getting benched or being sent back down to AAA. Hopefully, that helps with the errors.
Nihil
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:23 pm

Nihil wrote:Right now, I think Baker is more worried about his starting rotation than he is about the mental lapses Encarnacion is making at third. They are costing the team WAY more runs than he is. I think Edwin has some time to work things out at third without worrying about getting benched or being sent back down to AAA. Hopefully, that helps with the errors.

No, I wouldn't say is that Baker is worried about his starting rotation aside from the 5th starter (which just got changed to Belisle and wille ventually be Bailey very soon). The starting staff, I believe, is 5th in the NL in ERA. Baker is more worried about scoring runs, winning games, and not leaving RISP as the Reds have been leading the world in. Also, what to do with Keppinger when Alex Gonzalez gets back has to be weighed some.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 118)

Postby Nihil » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:41 pm

Let's not leave Arroyo out of the picture. He has been pretty bad too. Belisle was embarrassing last night. Hopefully we will be seeing Bailey soon.

I wonder about Keppinger too. But, with Edwin starting to hit, I don't think he'll be losing his job. I could be wrong, though. He does make some truly awfuly errors. And, with the games being close more often than not, those errors could be costly. Hitting home runs to make up for it can't hurt though, right? :-D
Nihil
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Russell James » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:52 pm

I have him as a backup to Youk in a couple leagues. He has been rotting on my bench all season and then this hot streak happened and yahoo had an article about it. I am giving him a start in hoped that I can get in on some of his hot streak.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:55 pm

Russell James wrote:I have him as a backup to Youk in a couple leagues. He has been rotting on my bench all season and then this hot streak happened and yahoo had an article about it. I am giving him a start in hoped that I can get in on some of his hot streak.

I grabbed him late to back up Gordon thinking that one of them will at least have a good year. So far I am happy with Gordon and have used EE in my UTIL slot this past week while he is on fire and Loney has struggled
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 36)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Secret Avatar » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:53 pm

I've had my eye on EE for some time now as a potential 3B sleeper. He seems to have torrid streaks followed by 2-15s. If he can pull it together, he's a good bet for 290-25-90 but I'm not holding my breath. I've seen the hot streaks before and then the weeks-long slumps. I did pick him up today, though. 3B is a huge hole for me this year (as it has always been) so I've been trying to get someone with a hot hand in there.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers