hank stein-grabber is right - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

hank stein-grabber is right

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

hank stein-grabber is right

Postby ididapoopy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:56 am

I don't know why people are defending cashman and girardi. steingrabber is right.

the nyy go from 1 extreme to the next....signing non stud SP to lengthy deals and not getting much from them, as opossed to delvelop their own

but that was no reason NOT to go for santana when all u have to do is give up melky and kennedy. santana was an immediate impact front line starter that the nyy needed...it wasn't like just getting the best pitcher because he was out there, THEY NEEDED him plenty. how many times are u gonna see this team exposed in the postseason due to not enough impact SP?

when u have hughes, kennedy and mussina in ur rotation all at once ur just asking for trouble. mussina is crap..and the rooks will have plenty bumps in the road until/if they achive top starters....and pettite and wang really aren't #1 guys either. pitching wins games and gets teams to the series...and u ain't gunna do it w/ this rotation as we speak..even w/ circa 2008 murderers row

as for joba...wtf are u people smoking.....keep him in the bullpen.....lol..as the yanks have a dire need for a impact pitcher u want to quite possible keep the best as a set up guy..lol...nevermind let him develop BS..he won't be in the closers role for a couple of years...so wtf......and .the NYY really don't have the luxuary of keeping him in this role..well,..they do if they want to wallow in mediocrity and possibly not making ther playoffs..

all of this joba stuff wouldn't even be a question if the nyy signed santa...instead..they will scramble and wallow and likely not make ther playoffs because of shoddy SP....

then u can keep praising cashman once again when this happens...
ididapoopy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 31
Joined: 22 Feb 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: hank stein-grabber is right

Postby abc11435 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:05 am

I don't quite understand the logic of "Joba is dominating so we should keep him as RP or CL". He was dominating as a SP in minor too. Johan Santana would be a dominating CL if you make him does that mean the Mets should convert him too?

At least let him try to start in the majors and see. It is a lot easier to get a good middle RP then a good SP.
abc11435
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 702
(Past Year: 23)
Joined: 26 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: hank stein-grabber is right

Postby ididapoopy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:11 am

I don't quite understand the logic of "Joba is dominating so we should keep him as RP or CL". He was dominating as a SP in minor too. Johan Santana would be a dominating CL if you make him does that mean the Mets should convert him too?

At least let him try to start in the majors and see. It is a lot easier to get a good middle RP then a good SP.

I don't understand a word of what you say..and most of it doesn't even pertain to hat i said.....getting good middle RP isn't easier then good Starting pitchers..that's because MRP are basically mop up guys that stink,,,,and if they didn't stink they would be in other roles
ididapoopy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 31
Joined: 22 Feb 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: hank stein-grabber is right

Postby djack909 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:52 am

hank is right
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 712
Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: hank stein-grabber is right

Postby northjersey78 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:01 am

ididapoopy wrote:I don't know why people are defending cashman and girardi. steingrabber is right.

the nyy go from 1 extreme to the next....signing non stud SP to lengthy deals and not getting much from them, as opossed to delvelop their own

but that was no reason NOT to go for santana when all u have to do is give up melky and kennedy. santana was an immediate impact front line starter that the nyy needed...it wasn't like just getting the best pitcher because he was out there, THEY NEEDED him plenty. how many times are u gonna see this team exposed in the postseason due to not enough impact SP?

when u have hughes, kennedy and mussina in ur rotation all at once ur just asking for trouble. mussina is crap..and the rooks will have plenty bumps in the road until/if they achive top starters....and pettite and wang really aren't #1 guys either. pitching wins games and gets teams to the series...and u ain't gunna do it w/ this rotation as we speak..even w/ circa 2008 murderers row

as for joba...wtf are u people smoking.....keep him in the bullpen.....lol..as the yanks have a dire need for a impact pitcher u want to quite possible keep the best as a set up guy..lol...nevermind let him develop BS..he won't be in the closers role for a couple of years...so wtf......and .the NYY really don't have the luxuary of keeping him in this role..well,..they do if they want to wallow in mediocrity and possibly not making ther playoffs..

all of this joba stuff wouldn't even be a question if the nyy signed santa...instead..they will scramble and wallow and likely not make ther playoffs because of shoddy SP....

then u can keep praising cashman once again when this happens...


Wow, you are so way off in most of this post...where to begin...

First, the Twins wanted Melky, Kennedy AND Hughes for Johan. So they give up their best 2 pitching prospects (1 of them being the #1 prospect in the entire MLB) and a young, solid centerfielder in Melky. Then they would also need to pay $140 million on top of that for him. So they deplete their prospects and go overboard on an already bloated payroll. They had already been burned with big name pitchers (Randy Johnson, kevin brown, Javier Vazquez...) and have been trying to trim down the payroll and build from within. They would also need to find a replacement centerfielder in this case if they dealt Melky.

Mussina is a serviceable 4th or 5th pitcher. As far Hughes and Kennedy - ITS BEEN 3 WEEKS! I love how everyone is jumping all over them - they are rookies for God's sake and it's 3 weeks into the season. it's still April and cold out - THEY WILL BE FINE.

As far as Joba goes...Steinbrenner is completely wrong. You need him in the bullpen more than ever with rookies in the starting rotation. So assume he goes to the starer role - who gets demoted? And now who pitches the 7th and 8th innings? Farnsworth? Bruney? Joba to Rivera is the best 1-2 combination for bullpen work - probably in the majors. If he goes to the rotation now, they also lose him for a month because he'll need to go to the minors to build arm strength and condition. You think he's going to be able to throw 100 mph if he is pitching 7 innings a game? Nope.

Wang isn't a #1 guy? Wang has more wins than anyone else in baseball the last 2 years. Pettite is as good as any #2 starter in the league. They still have enough offense to get to the post season -they did it last year with essentially the same team.
http://www.newyorksportstown.com

Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Rangers, Devils, Isanders, Knicks, Nets, Rutgers
northjersey78
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 363
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 19 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: North Jersey

Re: hank stein-grabber is right

Postby jnormy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:25 pm

ididapoopy wrote:I don't quite understand the logic of "Joba is dominating so we should keep him as RP or CL". He was dominating as a SP in minor too. Johan Santana would be a dominating CL if you make him does that mean the Mets should convert him too?

At least let him try to start in the majors and see. It is a lot easier to get a good middle RP then a good SP.

I don't understand a word of what you say..and most of it doesn't even pertain to hat i said.....


Um, I think he was agreeing with you. :-S
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1298
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: hank stein-grabber is right

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:11 pm

northjersey78 wrote:
Wow, you are so way off in most of this post...where to begin...

First, the Twins wanted Melky, Kennedy AND Hughes for Johan. So they give up their best 2 pitching prospects (1 of them being the #1 prospect in the entire MLB) and a young, solid centerfielder in Melky. Then they would also need to pay $140 million on top of that for him. So they deplete their prospects and go overboard on an already bloated payroll. They had already been burned with big name pitchers (Randy Johnson, kevin brown, Javier Vazquez...) and have been trying to trim down the payroll and build from within. They would also need to find a replacement centerfielder in this case if they dealt Melky.

Mussina is a serviceable 4th or 5th pitcher. As far Hughes and Kennedy - ITS BEEN 3 WEEKS! I love how everyone is jumping all over them - they are rookies for God's sake and it's 3 weeks into the season. it's still April and cold out - THEY WILL BE FINE.

As far as Joba goes...Steinbrenner is completely wrong. You need him in the bullpen more than ever with rookies in the starting rotation. So assume he goes to the starer role - who gets demoted? And now who pitches the 7th and 8th innings? Farnsworth? Bruney? Joba to Rivera is the best 1-2 combination for bullpen work - probably in the majors. If he goes to the rotation now, they also lose him for a month because he'll need to go to the minors to build arm strength and condition. You think he's going to be able to throw 100 mph if he is pitching 7 innings a game? Nope.

Wang isn't a #1 guy? Wang has more wins than anyone else in baseball the last 2 years. Pettite is as good as any #2 starter in the league. They still have enough offense to get to the post season -they did it last year with essentially the same team.


I was 100% with you until you said Joba should stay in the bullpen. The Yankees would be fools to not give Joba a fair shake in the rotation. If he can translate to the rotation, his value increases tenfold. The Yankees need to at least see what he can do. Obviously, they cannot do it right now. They need to give it time. Hopefully they stick to the plan and stretch him out mid-season and put him in the rotation in the 2nd half of the year.

And Wang definitely isn't an ace starter. Wins don't mean anything, really. Wang is a #3 starter on a good team. Luckily, the Yankees have two guys who could potentially be dominant in the #1 and #2 roles in Hughes and Chamberlain.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: hank stein-grabber is right

Postby WharfRat » Tue May 06, 2008 7:15 am

Joba needs to be starting by the end of the summer. That's really all there is to it.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3056
Joined: 27 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Walking my fish

Re: hank stein-grabber is right

Postby WharfRat » Tue May 06, 2008 7:25 am

WharfRat wrote:And Wang definitely isn't an ace starter. Wins don't mean anything, really. Wang is a #3 starter on a good team.


I think you're being overly harsh. He's been pitching like an ace this year, especially. 6 out of 7 quality starts, climbing K Rate because of his newfound confidence in his secondary pitches, and he's still maintaining his 2-to-1 groundball rate. A guy who strikes out better than 6 per 9 AND induces twice as many groundballs as flyballs (aka Roy Halladay) sounds an awful lot like an "ace" to me.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3056
Joined: 27 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Walking my fish

Re: hank stein-grabber is right

Postby IllumL8ker » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:38 pm

Bring MLB to Vancouver...

"Vancouver Canadians" [just picture it] I can only see success with that combination
2014 Vancouver Canadians 9 - New York Yankees 8 - BlackBerry Stadium, Vancouver
IllumL8ker
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

User avatar

Posts: 5
Joined: 13 Oct 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball


Return to New York Yankees

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Aug. 1
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Seattle at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Texas at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Colorado at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
LA Angels at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
San Francisco at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
NY Yankees at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Minnesota at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Toronto at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Kansas City at Oakland
(9:35 pm)
Pittsburgh at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Chi Cubs at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Atlanta at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact