Lowrie to stay up at SS? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Lowrie to stay up at SS?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lowrie to stay up at SS?

Postby Matthias » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:14 am

Per the NJ Star-Ledger (why they're interested, I have no idea) if Julio Logo doesn't improve, the Sox may consider replacing him with Lowrie.

I don't see how that makes much sense as Lugo hasn't been that bad and is generally pretty solid defensively, but there it is. Something to think about in deeper leagues.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Lowrie to stay up at SS?

Postby quitesanemax » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:48 am

Wow Lowrie may be the future SS for the Red Sox, they have a lot of money invested in Lugo, and as you mention, he really isn't doing that bad. He had an excellent game yesterday. It probably isn't Lowrie's time yet, although I love the way the guy plays.

Isn't it interesting that when Manny was ejected, according to the box score at Yahoo anyway, they put Lugo out in left field... I didn't notice that when I was watching the game. But I started watching after Manny was ejected. Wonder if thats a mistake by Yahoo.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby quitesanemax » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:54 am

I see. When Pedroia pinch hit for Thurston, Lugo went to left field... so he played there for 1 inning. I remember Lugo made the catch to end the game in shallow left, and I was confused because it seemed like he was coming in from left field. Lol.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kab21 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:00 am

quitesanemax wrote:Wow Lowrie may be the future SS for the Red Sox, they have a lot of money invested in Lugo, and as you mention, he really isn't doing that bad. He had an excellent game yesterday. It probably isn't Lowrie's time yet, although I love the way the guy plays.

Isn't it interesting that when Manny was ejected, according to the box score at Yahoo anyway, they put Lugo out in left field... I didn't notice that when I was watching the game. But I started watching after Manny was ejected. Wonder if thats a mistake by Yahoo.

It was late in the game when Lugo went to LF. Pedroia PH for Thurston (Manny's replacement) and went to 2B. Lowrie slid from 2B to SS and Lugo went to LF. Not sure how much you can read into that since they might have used every position player at that point except the backup catcher.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby prateem » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:13 am

if lowrie did get the job. do you think he worth rostering? do you think he could make an impact?
prateem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby WyldStallyn » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:31 pm

prateem wrote:if lowrie did get the job. do you think he worth rostering? do you think he could make an impact?

i dont think he has the power or speed upside to allow him to have much of a fantasy impact, at least not for a few years. he is similar to pedroia and might develop more power later on (he was expected to when drafted, but i dont see it coming anytime soon). he reminds me a lot of bill mueller, but with a little more speed. his sb% has been pretty bad in the minors so far, though

but the sox have too much invested in lugo to give lowrie the job this year, especially since lowries played less than 50 games in AAA. theyll give him more time
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby dweenmachine » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:11 pm

I think Lowrie is supposed to go back down to AAA once Lowell comes back from the DL. As many others have already said, Lugo is being paid too much money to be replaced with a prospect at this point. Besides, it's not like Lugo is doing absolutely horrible, so I'd be surprised to see his playing time threatened or even diminished by Lowrie.
dweenmachine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Matthias » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:17 pm

If Lowrie was to stay up (which, again, I don't think makes much sense) I would say he would be fantasy relevant in leagues that count OBP or use a MI. The Red Sox have emphasized pitch selection in their minors and Lowrie has shown a good patience at the plate. He won't contribute much in HRs or SBs but I'd guess would do around 70-80 Runs & RBIs if he played over the full season.

At this point, I would roster him in an AL-only league and not much else, but he's worth keeping an eye on in deep leagues to see how it plays out.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates