Which Flavors of the week do you buy into? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which Flavors of the week do you buy into?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Which Flavors of the week do you buy into?

Postby foeplay » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:53 am

YerInUrine wrote:What about Justin Upton? He isnt hitting everything that comes near him out of the park anymore, but he is still maintaining a high avg. He didnt respond well to moving higher in the order, but that was only for only for a few games if I recall correctly.

He's a flavor of the week? :-S
foeplay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brock middlebrook » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:39 am

McLouth's run has been nice, and I think he's a good player - worthy of a roster spot in most formats. My league is pretty shallow (there are probably about 40-45 OFs rostered), and I think he's borderline there.

R - playing in Pitt is going to limit his potential here. Who's going to knock him in? Once Nady cools off, there really isn't much there. I'm not sure what happened to Bay, but he hasn't bounced back.

Avg. He's a (small sample) career .250 hitter. We've seen progression in this area, but he'll regress from where he's at in 2008. I can see him finishing in the .280-.285 range which is a 24-29 point jump from last year

RBI - he has gotten his share, but being a leadoff in Pitt, I can't see this continuing

SB - These will come, but the CS's aren't encouraging

HR - I think he hits anywhere from 18-23. Nice pop.

He's more of a guy in the Victorino '07 mode with less SB, R, RBI and more HR's maybe more average.

I'd place more value on him if I believed in his supporting cast.
brock middlebrook
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Doughhead » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:54 pm

Does Ellsbury qualify as a flavour of the week?
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:33 pm

CC Sabathia :-)
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:59 pm

Which Flavors of the week do you buy into?

The vast majority here at the Cafe should just answer, "all".
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

Postby horatio » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:17 pm

How about Mike Jacobs and/vs Kasey Kotchman?
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby markj11 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:41 pm

brock middlebrook wrote:Avg. He's a (small sample) career .250 hitter. We've seen progression in this area, but he'll regress from where he's at in 2008. I can see him finishing in the .280-.285 range which is a 24-29 point jump from last year

SB - These will come, but the CS's aren't encouraging

So you think he will hit around .265 for the remainder of year? I know he is not a .360 hitter but I think he will hit higher than .265 for the rest of the year. Also, he was picked off twice and the other CS was BS. The last 2 years in the majors he was 32SB/2CS(.941). I guess we should know soon since he had his first 0'fer of the year.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cwrtlm » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:48 pm

Right now Conor Jackson is starting over Konerko till Pauly gets it goin. I am trying to sell Santana for an upgrade at OF. Our rosters are so small that it is tough to consider dropping Jim Thome for Billy Butler or Randy Johnson for Carlos Silva or Billingsley. With Weekly Lineups you typically only start your studs and rarely bench them unless they are ice cold or hurt. Lot easier to jump on the hot prospects in a daily league!
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
OF- Bay, Hart, Pagan, Smith, Francisco, Ankiel
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
P- Carpent, Billings, Volquez, Marcum, Norris, J. Vazquez, Westbrook, Wolf, E Rogers
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby duckbillgates » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:37 pm

foeplay wrote:
YerInUrine wrote:What about Justin Upton? He isnt hitting everything that comes near him out of the park anymore, but he is still maintaining a high avg. He didnt respond well to moving higher in the order, but that was only for only for a few games if I recall correctly.

Yes, he is, based on the fact that he went from being drafted around the 200-plus pick mark to a surefire superstar in the matter of two weeks.

Not saying his isn't an elite prospect, but I think expectations got out of hand pretty quickly.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:58 pm

duckbillgates wrote:
foeplay wrote:

Yes, he is, based on the fact that he went from being drafted around the 200-plus pick mark to a surefire superstar in the matter of two weeks.

Not saying his isn't an elite prospect, but I think expectations got out of hand pretty quickly.

Doesn't matter where Upton was drafted. Imagine that players who could've otherwise been considered "flavors of the week" last year like Granderson, Carlos Pena, and B.J. Upton were more than just that. Upton won't hit for the gaudy average as he's doing right now, but he's polished for his age and I think he posts a .290 BA, 25 HR, 15 SB year, at essentially the same kind of expectations Matt Kemp was labeled with this Spring. Not a flavor of the week player.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 660)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers