Is Hank Steinbrenner an idiot? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

Is Hank Steinbrenner an idiot?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Is Hank Steinbrenner an idiot?

Postby Russell James » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:27 pm

Most of this was tongue and cheek, especially the ugly comment...although it is true. I probably should have not typed those things since I don't want this to turn into a Red Sox/Yankees flame war. I really don't want to be one of those guys.

My Beef with Hank is that I don't think he is thankful for Brian Cashman.

I have tremendous respect for Brian Cashman and what he has been able to do. I wish Hank would just let the man do his job. He knows more about baseball then Hank does and under his guidance he has rebuilt that farm system in a short amount of time.

Hank then comes out and basically calls Cashman and Girardi an idiot because Joba is not a starting pitcher. Girardi was manager of the year 2 years ago and everyone in baseball knows how good Brian Cashman is, yet there is Hank bellowing out these ridiculous comments.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby redstorm41 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:31 pm

Let me give Hank a piece of advice; coming from a Yankee fan, I would be able to fairly criticize him.

Hank, I got two words for you: Mark Prior. Great arm, great talent, got abused with overuse by members of the Cubs organization that didn't know better. There is a reason why Joba has a set pitch count and a role that will be better suited for his development, it is because he is still a kid and you got to give him time to increase his endurance on the mound and be able to know how to pitch in tough situations. A talent like his is very difficult to find and to throw it all away because of your impatience is not going to help matters. Where he is now is perfect for him until he is able to pitch in the rotation for 2009. Let him develop!
redstorm41
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dc928 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:40 pm

I don't think he is an idiot he is just not much of a baseball guy, I mean anyone can see that Joba is get the talent but with a special arm like this, they need to pertect it and let it develop. I think MIn has it right the way they develop Santana, maybe Yanks can take some note. With that say, I do see Joba starting in midseason or so.
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:21 pm

redjake wrote:So, what's the deal w/ Steinbrenner saying that Joba is going to start "now" and that only "an idiot" would keep him in the pen - and Cashman coming out saying that's not going to happen "in the near future".

Is this some sort of power struggle? Or was it just time for the next dramatic episode in NY?

For now, I'll call it a tantrum and this Joba thing IMO is a red herring given that this was an organizational decision(he went along as well) to place Joba in the bullpen.Hank wanted to trade for Johan,Cashman(did not want to give up young players) and Hal Steinbrenner (for money reasons) did not.I'm sure Hank sees Johan putting up 2 wins,28ks in 28 innings,3.25ERA under 1 WHIP and sees Hughes and Kennedy with ERAs of 8.82 & 9.64 and over 2 WHIP and IMO this is his way to make his point.

I actually think he's dead on with his Mussina quote in that same NY Times article.
He also said he thought Mike Mussina, who is 39, “just needs to learn how to pitch like Jamie Moyer,” the Phillies’ 45-year-old starter, suggesting that Mussina shouldn’t try to rely on his diminished fastball to get hitters out.

“The starting rotation is not what I would have chosen at the beginning of the year, but that is not a big news flash to anyone,” Steinbrenner said.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Philliebuster » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:10 pm

What we are seeing with Hank is akin to a teenager getting the reigns to a MLB team. I don't think the man has any baseball knowledge, he is a real detriment to the organization. He has no filter between his brain and his mouth. For all non-yankee observers grab the popcorn, sit back and enjoy.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:05 pm

Philliebuster wrote:What we are seeing with Hank is akin to a teenager getting the reigns to a MLB team. I don't think the man has any baseball knowledge, he is a real detriment to the organization. He has no filter between his brain and his mouth. For all non-yankee observers grab the popcorn, sit back and enjoy.

You really think he's all that different from his father? George was a detriment at times, but George got us 6 rings.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Leiter Fan » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:29 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Philliebuster wrote:What we are seeing with Hank is akin to a teenager getting the reigns to a MLB team. I don't think the man has any baseball knowledge, he is a real detriment to the organization. He has no filter between his brain and his mouth. For all non-yankee observers grab the popcorn, sit back and enjoy.

You really think he's all that different from his father? George was a detriment at times, but George got us 6 rings.

The Yankees got their rings DESPITE George, not because of him. Don't forgt that the nucleus of the 1990's dynasty was formed when Steinbrenner was banned from baseball for the second time.

Here's a good summary of his "contributions" to the team:

http://everything2.com/e2node/George%2520Steinbrenner
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:56 am

Leiter Fan wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:

The Yankees got their rings DESPITE George, not because of him. Don't forgt that the nucleus of the 1990's dynasty was formed when Steinbrenner was banned from baseball for the second time.

Here's a good summary of his "contributions" to the team:

http://everything2.com/e2node/George%2520Steinbrenner

The fact that George was so driven to win that he'd go out and spend that much money put the Yankees in a position to win. Did he take the team through some dark ages? Certainly. But the Yankees have been the most dominant team in baseball under his tenure. Sure Hank will have his moments. But if he puts the Yankees in a position to win like his father did, I'm a happy Yankee fan.

And while Hank runs his mouth a lot, he made some initial statements that suggest he has a clue. Before the Yankees hired Girardi, he said that it's impossible to win the World Series every year, and that the Yankees can't operate like that. George never would have said something like that. George sacrificed the future to win immediately. Hank can flap his gums all he wants, but as long as he holds his trust in Cashman and Girardi, this team will continue to head in the right direction.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:38 pm

Until something happens as a result of Hank running his mouth, he can say whatever he wants as far as I'm concerned. :-b
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WharfRat » Tue May 06, 2008 7:13 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:The fact that George was so driven to win that he'd go out and spend that much money put the Yankees in a position to win. Did he take the team through some dark ages? Certainly. But the Yankees have been the most dominant team in baseball under his tenure. Sure Hank will have his moments. But if he puts the Yankees in a position to win like his father did, I'm a happy Yankee fan.

And while Hank runs his mouth a lot, he made some initial statements that suggest he has a clue. Before the Yankees hired Girardi, he said that it's impossible to win the World Series every year, and that the Yankees can't operate like that. George never would have said something like that. George sacrificed the future to win immediately. Hank can flap his gums all he wants, but as long as he holds his trust in Cashman and Girardi, this team will continue to head in the right direction.

Pretty much says it all; while I won't be able to forgive Steinbrenner's meddling, which I do believe may have cost us a few more rings (pre-dynasty), every Yankee fan who's had a pulse for the past 15 years has to thank the heavens we didn't end up with a David Glass, Carl Pohlad or Jeffrey Loria *shudder*. Few owners pour resources into their teams the way the Steinbrenners do.

Hank strikes me as just like his father, only with the same bark but less bite. Don't forget that Hank and Hal make all decisions together, which should help moderate any "excessive" behavior, and they do seem to be listening to the baseball people for the most part. So let him run his mouth, it's entertaining.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to New York Yankees