Max Scherzer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Max Scherzer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Max Scherzer

Postby shoelessjoetara » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:03 am

Does he have a chance to be called up within the next month? Will he have the same impact that Lincecum had last year when he was called up ?
Last edited by shoelessjoetara on Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
shoelessjoetara Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Max Sherzer

Postby B-Chad » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:00 pm

I'll bump this because I was going to ask about him. I know he's a upper tier prospect, and his numbers are jaw dropping to open the season. I remember reading at one point that he was a darkhorse to close if the other options faultered. Considering he's starting right now, what is the outlook for him this season? September callup? Earlier? Is he the first option to replace someone like the Big Unit if he suffers an injury again this year?
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Birds05 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:05 pm

I'm no expert but my thoughts on this situation are pretty simple: this guy is simply BLOWING AWAY the competition in AAA -- you can't keep someone this dominant from the show for long. If he's not up in some capacity by June I'd be suprised.

Also, don't listen to official word out of the front office. I remember when the Phils said they'd take their time with Hamels and he was up the next week. I'd grab Sherzer today, if available. I already missed out in a deep 14-team league.
Birds05
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The_Natural » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:57 pm

I wish he was in yahoo.
The_Natural
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hoya1982 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:23 pm

ERA 0.00 IP 17.0 Hits 7 Runs 1 ER 0 HR 0 HBP 1 BB 3 SO 29 WHIP 0.59

Holy Shnikes! Forget Kershaw, I'm using my waiver priority on this guy.
hoya1982
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby 5 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:14 pm

Good thread...I've heard about Scherzer. Note the spelling in case anyone wants to check him out.

The latest Sportsline news shows this...(from last week) if anyone's interested:

The Arizona Republic reports that D-Backs pitching prospect Max Scherzer struck out 11 batters with no walks, allowing just three hits and one unearned run Satureday at Triple-A Tucson. He has now thrown 12 innings, allowing five hits, zero runs, two walks and 18 strikeouts in two starts.
(Updated 04/14/2008).
Fantasy Analysis
Scherzer has a mean fastball and his secondary pitches are reportedly improving also. Scherzer will get plenty of innings at Triple-A Tucson this season as he prepares for his major league career. He was a first-round draft pick from 2006, and the team continues to look at him as a starter until he proves he can't handle that role. He pitched well as a reliever in the Arizona Fall League, however. It wouldn't shock anyone to see him join the D-Backs sometime this summer, which makes him a nice reserve pick in NL-only leagues.

Since that time, he had one more start - another 11K outing....hoya gave us the updated stat line above this post.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Max%20Scherzer&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=453286
General Manager
General Manager

Postby shoelessjoetara » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:16 am

Thanks for the advice. I just picked him up before anyone else did. Does he have a chance to be this years Tim Lincecum or Yovani Gallardo ? I hope it wasn't to early to pick him up though.
shoelessjoetara Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hoya1982 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:09 am

shoelessjoetara wrote:Thanks for the advice. I just picked him up before anyone else did. Does he have a chance to be this years Tim Lincecum or Yovani Gallardo ? I hope it wasn't to early to pick him up though.

Yeh, depends on how deep your bench is. I don't know much about the situation, but I don't think he is a lock to be up by June.
hoya1982
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby 5 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:43 am

General Manager
General Manager

Postby colt4523 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:39 pm

Somebody already drafted him in my 16 team league :-/ I drafted Price instead, so hopefully he will be just as good.
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates