Hank wants Joba in the rotation NOW.. (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hank wants Joba in the rotation NOW.. (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Hank wants Joba in the rotation NOW.. (Merged)

Postby Yoda » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:23 pm

The money Boston spent for DiceK is top 10 pitcher money at the time they inked him.

Let's just pretend that DiceK's career mirrors Nomo's. Below is Nomo's career stats:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/n/nomohi01.shtml

If we cherry pick Nomo's best seasons, then yes, DiceK may have been worth it. But I think that is a big if that DiceK has even that kind of success.

Given the choice, I would much rather sign CC for whatever he will command this off season than what it cost to sign DiceK.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:33 pm

Basically, it's Jason Schmidt money and is less than Pettite; you have to compare contemporaneous free agent contracts in order to be equivalent. I would say that I'd rather have Daisuke rather than either one of those guys (although Matsuzaka does have the 6-year commitment risk).

For Sabathia, you have to realize he'll have a salary functionally $4MM - $5MM more per year than Matsuaka; he'll be two years older than Daisuke was when the Sox signed Daisuke; the deal will probably be 6 years if not 7; the signing team will have to give up their first round draft pick; and Sabathia has weight issues. Maybe the weight won't a big deal; Wells pitched alright enough until he was 41 or so, but it's a concern. There are worse pitchers to take a gamble on, but all in all, Matsuzaka's contract could look good in comparison.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:37 pm

Matthias wrote:Basically, it's Jason Schmidt money and is less than Pettite; you have to compare contemporaneous free agent contracts in order to be equivalent. I would say that I'd rather have Daisuke rather than either one of those guys (although Matsuzaka does have the 6-year commitment risk).

For Sabathia, you have to realize he'll have a salary functionally $4MM - $5MM more per year than Matsuaka; he'll be two years older than Daisuke was when the Sox signed Daisuke; the deal will probably be 6 years if not 7; the signing team will have to give up their first round draft pick; and Sabathia has weight issues. Maybe the weight won't a big deal; Wells pitched alright enough until he was 41 or so, but it's a concern. There are worse pitchers to take a gamble on, but all in all, Matsuzaka's contract could look good in comparison.

I agree for the most part. Up until today he hasn't been worth the money they paid for him. If he improves then yes but not yet.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AtlDynasty25 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:32 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
You mean just like they threw money around last offseason? Oh wait...

Well they didn't free up 80 mill last off-season. I'm saying that I fully expect them to take that 80 saved and divvy most of it out.
AtlDynasty25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:44 pm

AtlDynasty25 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
You mean just like they threw money around last offseason? Oh wait...

Well they didn't free up 80 mill last off-season. I'm saying that I fully expect them to take that 80 saved and divvy most of it out.

I thought they had infinite money though according to your previous posts. The only possible big signings would be Sabathia and Teixeira and that would be around $40M a year if they got both of them.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:45 pm

AtlDynasty25 wrote:I'm saying that I fully expect them to take that 80 saved and divvy most of it out.

That's fine. Even if they do, it doesn't mean that they are an "absolute joke" or "haven't accomplished anything" which are the two statements that I initially called you out on.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)

Postby dorje3 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:45 am

Joba's a complete mystery to me. I can't remember a player who made a faster transition from the NCAA to the Majors at such a young age (less than a year, age 20-21). His numbers were awfully good in the minors (in less tha 90 innings beween A+, AA, & AAA, mind you), but why were they so quick to promote him? Obviously he's hasn't dissapointed in the least, but I'm still baffled. With 32 INN logged in the NY pen, Joba is fast aproaching the 40 INN mark, the highest nuber of innings he has registered at any level in professional baseball. He's already in the Majors, so what are the Yankees to do with their regularly scheduled promotion? Only pure, metaphysical fantasy could offer a perch for Joba's next leap.
Maybe it'll be a call to the rotation.

Stepping stones:
AGE 21 A+ 2.03ERA 40INN 51K
AGE 21 AA 3.35ERA 40.1INN 66k
AGE 21 AAA 0.00ERA 8.0INN 18K
21/22 MLB ~0.50ERA 32INN 43K
W H A T ' S N E X T ?
dorje3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:46 am

AtlDynasty25 wrote:I would be willing to bet that the yankees finish sub .500 this season barring some huge deadline trade.

Call it a 3-month sig bet? Loser wears a sig of the winner's choosing? Deal?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:14 am

dorje3 wrote:Joba's a complete mystery to me. I can't remember a player who made a faster transition from the NCAA to the Majors at such a young age (less than a year, age 20-21). His numbers were awfully good in the minors (in less tha 90 innings beween A+, AA, & AAA, mind you), but why were they so quick to promote him? Obviously he's hasn't dissapointed in the least, but I'm still baffled. With 32 INN logged in the NY pen, Joba is fast aproaching the 40 INN mark, the highest nuber of innings he has registered at any level in professional baseball. He's already in the Majors, so what are the Yankees to do with their regularly scheduled promotion? Only pure, metaphysical fantasy could offer a perch for Joba's next leap.
Maybe it'll be a call to the rotation.

Stepping stones:
AGE 21 A+ 2.03ERA 40INN 51K
AGE 21 AA 3.35ERA 40.1INN 66k
AGE 21 AAA 0.00ERA 8.0INN 18K
21/22 MLB ~0.50ERA 32INN 43K
W H A T ' S N E X T ?

They promoted him aggressively because he was absolutely dominating hitters in the minors. Also because their pitching was absolute crap.

I think it still remains to be seen how he does as a starter. He's got excellent stuff and command but pitching in the rotation is a completely different.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J.C.Fighter » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:18 am

Well it looks like Joba will not be in the rotation at all this year. Bruney was suppose to be Joba's replacement in the setup role , but he's out for the season....
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers