Hank wants Joba in the rotation NOW.. (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hank wants Joba in the rotation NOW.. (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Hank wants Joba in the rotation NOW.. (Merged)

Postby The Cow » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:00 pm

Yoda wrote:
The Cow wrote:If they move Joba to the rotation now and try to limit his innings by skipping starts, pitch counts or shutting him down early, the Yanks risk either pushing Joba well past his IP limit, which is a bad move long term. The pressure will be high for the Yanks to press Joba past whatever IP limit they have on him should the Yanks make the playoffs or even if they are in a pennant race. I don't see the Yanks shutting Joba down when they are battling for a playoff spot in Aug-Sept. As the playoff pressure continues to mount so will the desire to push Joba past his limits. The best way to limit Joba is to limit him NOW when the pressure is lower. Just wait until June for Joba and enjoy the quality set up work in the mean time.

The Cow

My counter argument would be that teams do this all the time and pretty successfully (shutting down early, skipping starts, etc).

I think it's better to find out now if he can be a starter and let him take his lumps early in the season. This way, they won't jerk him back and forth if he doesn't work out as a starter mid-season while losing ground in the standings. If they convert him later then they will almost have no choice but to commit to him as a starter for the rest of the season. If they wait too long then they also run the risk of missing out on CC or anyone who might be available by the trade deadline (if they are still contending).

I think both sides of the argument makes sense but in the end, he really needs to be in the rotation this year.

A contending team cannot shut down a top SP early if they are trying to contend. They could limit Joba via pitch count and skipping starts, but come Aug-Sept the Yanks will do everything in their power to win and skipping Joba or shutting him down would not be an option. As a Joba owner I would love it if he were starting, but its in his best interests to spend April and May in the pen. Its only another 4 weeks or so until Joba time, so relax. The Yanks come July will have seen Joba in the rotation for a month so they will have a good idea what they have in Joba as a starter. That will not limit them in trying to deal for a C.C., who could very well be available because the Tribe offense is offensive.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J.C.Fighter » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:06 pm

OK whatever that means. I'd rather watch him lose his aura than watch the Yanks lose this year because their rotation sucks. I think most Yankee fans would agree.

He loses his mystique ...
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BillyMafia » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:09 pm

I heard the best time to let him prepare for starter innings without losing him in bullpen right now is around the all-star break. Makes sense to me.
BillyMafia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:13 pm

The Cow wrote:
Yoda wrote:
The Cow wrote:If they move Joba to the rotation now and try to limit his innings by skipping starts, pitch counts or shutting him down early, the Yanks risk either pushing Joba well past his IP limit, which is a bad move long term. The pressure will be high for the Yanks to press Joba past whatever IP limit they have on him should the Yanks make the playoffs or even if they are in a pennant race. I don't see the Yanks shutting Joba down when they are battling for a playoff spot in Aug-Sept. As the playoff pressure continues to mount so will the desire to push Joba past his limits. The best way to limit Joba is to limit him NOW when the pressure is lower. Just wait until June for Joba and enjoy the quality set up work in the mean time.

The Cow

My counter argument would be that teams do this all the time and pretty successfully (shutting down early, skipping starts, etc).

I think it's better to find out now if he can be a starter and let him take his lumps early in the season. This way, they won't jerk him back and forth if he doesn't work out as a starter mid-season while losing ground in the standings. If they convert him later then they will almost have no choice but to commit to him as a starter for the rest of the season. If they wait too long then they also run the risk of missing out on CC or anyone who might be available by the trade deadline (if they are still contending).

I think both sides of the argument makes sense but in the end, he really needs to be in the rotation this year.

A contending team cannot shut down a top SP early if they are trying to contend. They could limit Joba via pitch count and skipping starts, but come Aug-Sept the Yanks will do everything in their power to win and skipping Joba or shutting him down would not be an option. As a Joba owner I would love it if he were starting, but its in his best interests to spend April and May in the pen. Its only another 4 weeks or so until Joba time, so relax. The Yanks come July will have seen Joba in the rotation for a month so they will have a good idea what they have in Joba as a starter. That will not limit them in trying to deal for a C.C., who could very well be available because the Tribe offense is offensive.

The Cow

A month is not even close to enough time to get a good idea on how a young pitcher will do as a starter. For instance, look at what his teammates Hughes and Kennedy have done so far in April. Their performance is not indicative of what they will do for the rest of the season. If the Joba in the rotation experiment fails in mid July then it could be too late for them to make the necessary trades in order to compete this year.

In any case, I'll agree to disagree. I'd rather him not waste his bullets in the pen if he is perfectly capable of helping out the rotation.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:20 pm

J.C.Fighter wrote:

OK whatever that means. I'd rather watch him lose his aura than watch the Yanks lose this year because their rotation sucks. I think most Yankee fans would agree.

What?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 58)

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:49 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
J.C.Fighter wrote:

What?

Mystique and aura are both worth about 2 wins apiece.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby j24jags » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:39 am

With Bruney out there's really no chance Joba moves now...
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby colt4523 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:10 am

j24jags wrote:With Bruney out there's really no chance Joba moves now...

With Hughes inability to pitch 4 innings, I believe there is a big chance now. Switch Hughes and Joba or do something. The yankees rotation is pathetic right now and the way Kennedy and Hughes are pitching they are going to burn out the bullpen.
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 84)

Postby J.C.Fighter » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:23 am

The Yankees will most likey call up Igawa soon..
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BJSFAN123 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:37 am

J.C.Fighter wrote:The Yankees will most likey call up Igawa soon..

That will last for like 3 games max until they realize he is still terrible.

Hughes should be in the minors right now working on his pitches..
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers