Hank wants Joba in the rotation NOW.. (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hank wants Joba in the rotation NOW.. (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Hank wants Joba in the rotation NOW.. (Merged)

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:54 am

J.C.Fighter wrote:
Yoda wrote:
J.C.Fighter wrote:Which should be next year .


It defies logic to keep one of your best pitchers in a middle relief role when your rotation is a complete mess.


So he's better than Mariano already?


Huh, where did you get that from my posts? What is your point anyway?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Hank wants Joba in the rotation NOW.. (Merged)

Postby chipper » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:56 am

J.C.Fighter wrote:So he's better than Mariano already?


Yoda wrote:one of your best pitchers

He said one of their best.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1567
Joined: 8 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hank wants Joba in the rotation NOW.. (Merged)

Postby J.C.Fighter » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:59 am


Huh, where did you get that from my posts? What is your point anyway?

Sorry mis-read what you said...
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1620
Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hank wants Joba in the rotation NOW.. (Merged)

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:13 pm

The Cow wrote:
Yoda wrote:
J.C.Fighter wrote:Which should be next year .


It defies logic to keep one of your best pitchers in a middle relief role when your rotation is a complete mess.


No what defies logic is risking injury to your top young arm by panicking and putting him in the rotation. Unless you think it is a good idea for the Yanks to treat Joba as the Cubs treated Prior and Wood. The plan all along for Joba was to limit his IP, by keeping him in MR until June. Makes sense to me. So come June Joba will be in the rotation and this will be put to rest. What the Yanks should have done was sign or trade for a SP in the off-season. Johan would have worked. why the Yanks decided to go with the two youngters with a solid Pettitte an aging Moose and Wang as the ace makes no sense to me. They should have signed or traded for a SP. Because it is likely that one of the youngsters flops and a guy like Moose or Pettitte misses time with injury or in Moose's case diminishing skills. I know Cliff Lee could have been had for a bag of chips in the offseason, but nobody wanted him.

The Cow


They can still limit his IPs if he joins the rotation now and that isn't my point. My point is to find out what he can do as a starter asap, a role that has a far greater impact on the team's overall success than what can do as a dominant set up guy. Especially now that it is clear that the rotation is the weakest link.

If he sticks then you can do a lot of different things later in the year. You can give him longer days of rest , skip his turn or just put him back in the set up role.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Hank wants Joba in the rotation NOW.. (Merged)

Postby J.C.Fighter » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:08 pm

This year the Yankees have won every game when they're winning through the 7th inning..
Joba/ Mo is too good to break up right now..
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1620
Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hank wants Joba in the rotation NOW.. (Merged)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:21 pm

J.C.Fighter wrote:This year the Yankees have won every game when they're winning through the 7th inning..
Joba/ Mo is too good to break up right now..


And there have been plenty of games where the haven't been winning through the 7th inning...that's where Joba can help.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 58)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hank wants Joba in the rotation NOW.. (Merged)

Postby The Cow » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:33 pm

If they move Joba to the rotation now and try to limit his innings by skipping starts, pitch counts or shutting him down early, the Yanks risk either pushing Joba well past his IP limit, which is a bad move long term. The pressure will be high for the Yanks to press Joba past whatever IP limit they have on him should the Yanks make the playoffs or even if they are in a pennant race. I don't see the Yanks shutting Joba down when they are battling for a playoff spot in Aug-Sept. As the playoff pressure continues to mount so will the desire to push Joba past his limits. The best way to limit Joba is to limit him NOW when the pressure is lower. Just wait until June for Joba and enjoy the quality set up work in the mean time.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1754
Joined: 12 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eating refried beans

Re: Hank wants Joba in the rotation NOW.. (Merged)

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:43 pm

The Cow wrote:If they move Joba to the rotation now and try to limit his innings by skipping starts, pitch counts or shutting him down early, the Yanks risk either pushing Joba well past his IP limit, which is a bad move long term. The pressure will be high for the Yanks to press Joba past whatever IP limit they have on him should the Yanks make the playoffs or even if they are in a pennant race. I don't see the Yanks shutting Joba down when they are battling for a playoff spot in Aug-Sept. As the playoff pressure continues to mount so will the desire to push Joba past his limits. The best way to limit Joba is to limit him NOW when the pressure is lower. Just wait until June for Joba and enjoy the quality set up work in the mean time.

The Cow


My counter argument would be that teams do this all the time and pretty successfully (shutting down early, skipping starts, etc).

I think it's better to find out now if he can be a starter and let him take his lumps early in the season. This way, they won't jerk him back and forth if he doesn't work out as a starter mid-season while losing ground in the standings. If they convert him later then they will almost have no choice but to commit to him as a starter for the rest of the season. If they wait too long then they also run the risk of missing out on CC or anyone who might be available by the trade deadline (if they are still contending).

I think both sides of the argument makes sense but in the end, he really needs to be in the rotation this year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Hank wants Joba in the rotation NOW.. (Merged)

Postby J.C.Fighter » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:47 pm

Yoda wrote:
The Cow wrote:If they move Joba to the rotation now and try to limit his innings by skipping starts, pitch counts or shutting him down early, the Yanks risk either pushing Joba well past his IP limit, which is a bad move long term. The pressure will be high for the Yanks to press Joba past whatever IP limit they have on him should the Yanks make the playoffs or even if they are in a pennant race. I don't see the Yanks shutting Joba down when they are battling for a playoff spot in Aug-Sept. As the playoff pressure continues to mount so will the desire to push Joba past his limits. The best way to limit Joba is to limit him NOW when the pressure is lower. Just wait until June for Joba and enjoy the quality set up work in the mean time.

The Cow


My counter argument would be that teams do this all the time and pretty successfully (shutting down early, skipping starts, etc).

I think it's better to find out now if he can be a starter and let him take his lumps early in the season. This way, they won't jerk him back and forth if he doesn't work out as a starter mid-season while losing ground in the standings. If they convert him later then they will almost have no choice but to commit to him as a starter for the rest of the season. If they wait too long then they also run the risk of missing out on CC or anyone who might be available by the trade deadline (if they are still contending).

I think both sides of the argument makes sense but in the end, he really needs to be in the rotation this year.


He loses his aura if he takes his lumps during the season...
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1620
Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hank wants Joba in the rotation NOW.. (Merged)

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:48 pm

J.C.Fighter wrote:
Yoda wrote:
The Cow wrote:If they move Joba to the rotation now and try to limit his innings by skipping starts, pitch counts or shutting him down early, the Yanks risk either pushing Joba well past his IP limit, which is a bad move long term. The pressure will be high for the Yanks to press Joba past whatever IP limit they have on him should the Yanks make the playoffs or even if they are in a pennant race. I don't see the Yanks shutting Joba down when they are battling for a playoff spot in Aug-Sept. As the playoff pressure continues to mount so will the desire to push Joba past his limits. The best way to limit Joba is to limit him NOW when the pressure is lower. Just wait until June for Joba and enjoy the quality set up work in the mean time.

The Cow


My counter argument would be that teams do this all the time and pretty successfully (shutting down early, skipping starts, etc).

I think it's better to find out now if he can be a starter and let him take his lumps early in the season. This way, they won't jerk him back and forth if he doesn't work out as a starter mid-season while losing ground in the standings. If they convert him later then they will almost have no choice but to commit to him as a starter for the rest of the season. If they wait too long then they also run the risk of missing out on CC or anyone who might be available by the trade deadline (if they are still contending).

I think both sides of the argument makes sense but in the end, he really needs to be in the rotation this year.


He loses his aura if he takes his lumps during the season...


OK whatever that means. I'd rather watch him lose his aura than watch the Yanks lose this year because their rotation sucks. I think most Yankee fans would agree.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ensanimal, GiantsFan14, joiingds and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Jul. 24
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Boston at Toronto
(12:37 pm)
Texas at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
San Francisco at Philadelphia
(1:05 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(3:35 pm)
Miami at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
San Diego at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Cleveland at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
NY Mets at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Baltimore at Seattle
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact