Hank wants Joba in the rotation NOW.. (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hank wants Joba in the rotation NOW.. (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Hank Steinbrenner: Make Joba a Starter NOW

Postby 5 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:30 am

Cranky Hanky knows his rotation sucks...pick your poison though. Relief's gonna suck w/o Joba.
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:33 am

5 wrote:Cranky Hanky knows his rotation sucks...pick your poison though. Relief's gonna suck w/o Joba.

Middle relief is so easy to replace. They can probalby bring up some kids and see if they'll stick. Also, why not send Kennedy to the pen and let him figure it out there? Worked wonders for Billingsley as well as many other young pitchers.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Cow » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:35 am

Hughes could take over Joba's role. The Yanks should have stepped up their offer for Johan. Looking like a big blunder there.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:41 am

The Cow wrote:Hughes could take over Joba's role. The Yanks should have stepped up their offer for Johan. Looking like a big blunder there.

The Cow

Hughes should be fine. He still has great stuff.

I disagree with you on Johan.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Russell James » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:59 am

Time will tell on the Johan trade. I wasn't to thrilled when the Red Sox refused to trade Buchholz for him. In 5 years Buchholz better be lights out with all the hype around this kid. The Red Sox and Yankees both have the resources to find another Buchholz and Hughes so I didn't understand the hesitation. Santana is going to be very good for another 5 or 6 years and the others are wild cards.

With that said,

I guess everyone expects these young pitchers to come out and shut down opponents every game. It will probably take half of the season for Hughes, Kennedy and Chamberlain to find their rhythm. Chamberlain has been great out of the bullpen, but he has not started yet. It will be interesting to see how he does when hitters have seen him 3 times in a game. It is normal for these young guys to struggle and in about 3 years, if Hank can be patient, they will have a very good staff and a rebuilt farm system.

However, I don't think the Yankees will make the playoffs this year. Young pitchers take time to develop and Yankee fans and ownership are not known for their patience. If the Yankees fall out of the race early this year (which I think is unlikely), then I wouldn't be surprised to see Hank clean house after the season is over. Especially if the Red Sox win another Series.

So, just deal with it this year Yankee fans. If you make the playoffs, then consider yourself lucky. But Cashman has this team setup to be dominant in 3 years.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:10 pm

Russell James wrote:Time will tell on the Johan trade. I wasn't to thrilled when the Red Sox refused to trade Buchholz for him. In 5 years Buchholz better be lights out with all the hype around this kid. The Red Sox and Yankees both have the resources to find another Buchholz and Hughes so I didn't understand the hesitation. Santana is going to be very good for another 5 or 6 years and the others are wild cards.

With that said,

I guess everyone expects these young pitchers to come out and shut down opponents every game. It will probably take half of the season for Hughes, Kennedy and Chamberlain to find their rhythm. Chamberlain has been great out of the bullpen, but he has not started yet. It will be interesting to see how he does when hitters have seen him 3 times in a game. It is normal for these young guys to struggle and in about 3 years, if Hank can be patient, they will have a very good staff and a rebuilt farm system.

However, I don't think the Yankees will make the playoffs this year. Young pitchers take time to develop and Yankee fans and ownership are not known for their patience. If the Yankees fall out of the race early this year (which I think is unlikely), then I wouldn't be surprised to see Hank clean house after the season is over. Especially if the Red Sox win another Series.

So, just deal with it this year Yankee fans. If you make the playoffs, then consider yourself lucky. But Cashman has this team setup to be dominant in 3 years.

The conversion from the bullpen to the rotation works very well. We've seen many successful and dominant starters thrive under this system: Santana, Liriano, Billingsley... Not saying that it will definitely work with Joba but it certainly doesn't hurt to try and find out.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby chipper » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:16 pm

AsimoV82 wrote:I am now salivating.

:-L

Fantasy wise, I'd rather have him in the bullpen. At least on my team.

Russell James wrote:However, I don't think the Yankees will make the playoffs this year.

Agreed.

How long do you guys think it would take him to get stretched out for the rotation.
Would they send him down for a few weeks?
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hot4tx » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:30 pm

They could just start him on a rotation but severely limit his pitch count for a little bit. He'd be getting 3IP as a starter like the A's tried doing with everyone that one year back in the early 90s. No reason to waste good innings with him in the minors. Just have another SP scheduled to pick up in the 3rd/4th inning on days when he starts.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 138)

Postby Russell James » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:37 pm

Yoda wrote:
Russell James wrote:Time will tell on the Johan trade. I wasn't to thrilled when the Red Sox refused to trade Buchholz for him. In 5 years Buchholz better be lights out with all the hype around this kid. The Red Sox and Yankees both have the resources to find another Buchholz and Hughes so I didn't understand the hesitation. Santana is going to be very good for another 5 or 6 years and the others are wild cards.

With that said,

The conversion from the bullpen to the rotation works very well. We've seen many successful and dominant starters thrive under this system: Santana, Liriano, Billingsley... Not saying that it will definitely work with Joba but it certainly doesn't hurt to try and find out.

Sure, I would agree with that. You could throw Dempster in there as well.

Joba has electric stuff, but I think he will have his share of lumps and I don't think he will be as dominant as Liriano or Santana. Plus the Twins were very careful with Liriano in '06. He didn't start until June or July so they did not rush him in.

I just don't know. I think Joba will be a great pitcher and the Yankees need starting pitching, but he is going to take his lumps...all young pitchers do. I do not believe that he will post the 9-0 record that Liriano posted in '06.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:44 pm

I am pretty clear on saying that he won't pitch like Santana or Liriano. Pointing out that starters converted to relievers back to starting seem to have a positive effect. I think he will be similar to how Billingsley was. Struggle with his command from time to time but overall post a good ERA with a solid K rate.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers