Hank wants Joba in the rotation NOW.. (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hank wants Joba in the rotation NOW.. (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hank wants Joba in the rotation NOW.. (Merged)

Postby BigTex24 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:54 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/21/sport ... w2rECSDCBQ

"Steinbrenner said the Yankees were working on easing Chamberlain into the rotation, but he would not be specific on a timetable for the move."
BigTex24
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hank wants Joba in the rotation NOW..

Postby freeling_prideful » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:23 pm

Intriguing, but I'm one of those guys who's thinking is that Joba won't be nearly as effective as a starter compared to his dominance as a reliever.

An interesting parallel to Joba is Jon Papelbon, who can light up the gun at 96-98 mph as a closer but as a starter was more in the 92-94 range. I expect Joba to dial down his fastball and to struggle in the third time through lineups when hitters are picking up on his main two pitches (fastball/slider) and his relatively undeveloped changeup isn't going to work that well.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:24 pm

Shouldn't this be Girardi's decision? :-?

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby still-hate-francisco-cabrera » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:38 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Shouldn't this be Girardi's decision? :-?

Well that wouldn't be very Steinbrenner -like, now would it?
still-hate-francisco-cabrera
College Coach
College Coach

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Super Manny » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:04 am

still-hate-francisco-cabrera wrote:

Well that wouldn't be very Steinbrenner -like, now would it?

Great comment...I was thinking the same thing. ;-D

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby kab21 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:16 am

Hank's smrt.

He also said he thought Mike Mussina, who is 39, “just needs to learn how to pitch like Jamie Moyer,” the Phillies’ 45-year-old starter, suggesting that Mussina shouldn’t try to rely on his diminished fastball.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby Field » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:18 am

This is exactly why they got rid of Torre, so that the powers that be could have more control....

Also, most teams manage seem to be managing their pitching staffs at the orgizational level rather than the managerial one especially in their dealings with young pitchers. I'm sure this has been discussed extensively, Hank just likes to hear himself speak and keep the Yankees in the news.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby jfg » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:52 am

I don't think there are many teams that let the manager have the biggest say for call-ups. I can't even think of a team where that isn't a front office decision. Managers have input but ultimately it's the owner and GM who make the call. Girardi's probably on the level of Geren when it comes to managerial input.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Hank Steinbrenner: Make Joba a Starter NOW

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:00 am

New York Times wrote:New Boss Wants to See Chamberlain Start (Now)

By MICHAEL S. SCHMIDT
Published: April 21, 2008

With the Yankees off to a 10-10 start, and with two of their young starters struggling, the Yankees co-chairman Hank Steinbrenner said there was one thing in particular he would like to change: He wants Joba Chamberlain, the Yankees’ hard-throwing setup man, to move into the rotation.
Skip to next paragraph

“I want him as a starter and so does everyone else, including him, and that is what we are working toward and we need him there now,” Steinbrenner said Sunday by telephone. “There is no question about it, you don’t have a guy with a 100-mile-per-hour fastball and keep him as a setup guy. You just don’t do that. You have to be an idiot to do that.”

Steinbrenner said the Yankees were working on easing Chamberlain into the rotation, but he would not be specific on a timetable. The Yankees’ brain trust had wanted to limit Chamberlain’s innings by having him spend at least part of the season in the bullpen. “The mistake was already made last year switching him to the bullpen out of panic or whatever,” Steinbrenner said. “I had no say in it last year and I wouldn’t have allowed it. That was done last year, so now we have to catch up. It has to be done on a schedule so we don’t rush him.”

When Chamberlain, a starter in the minors, was promoted to the Yankees last August, he quickly became an essential part of the bullpen. The Yankees planned to put Chamberlain, 22, in the rotation this spring but chose to begin the season with Phil Hughes, 21, and Ian Kennedy, 23, there. Hughes (0-3) has allowed 16 earned runs in 16 1/3 innings. Kennedy (0-2) has struggled with his control, allowing 15 earned runs in 14 innings.

“I think once Hughes and Kennedy get plenty of starts and get Joba back, and with Wang and Pettitte, we will be fine,” Steinbrenner said, referring to the Yankee starters Chien-Ming Wang and Andy Pettitte.

He also said he thought Mike Mussina, who is 39, “just needs to learn how to pitch like Jamie Moyer,” the Phillies’ 45-year-old starter, suggesting that Mussina shouldn’t try to rely on his diminished fastball to get hitters out.

“The starting rotation is not what I would have chosen at the beginning of the year, but that is not a big news flash to anyone,” Steinbrenner said.

We'll see if anything comes of this.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Re: Hank Steinbrenner: Make Joba a Starter NOW

Postby AsimoV82 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:05 am

I am now salivating.

:-L
AsimoV82
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers