Weekly lineup changes..what's the appeal? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Weekly lineup changes..what's the appeal?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Weekly lineup changes..what's the appeal?

Postby jnormy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:22 pm

Wharton93 wrote:Weekly = Strategy
Daily = Tactical

It's that simple, but please---stop saying daily takes 'more strategy' and stop saying "I never played Weekly but Daily is better." .........

To each his own, but please come down off the pedestal with the Daily = ownage.

Amen brother. I've played both, and while it certainly takes more consistent time commitment playing daily, it's MUCH easier figuring out what you need to do in a daily league. Yeah, you have to stay diligent and keep paying attention, but where are the tough decisions that make this great "strategy"? Your pitcher is pitching that night? You play him. Your position player is getting the day off? You bench him. Just visit rotoworld and the Cafe every day and your decisions are made for you. It's all reactionary, not a lot of deep thinking there. Weekly league planning is far more in-depth and challenging.

I'm not putting down daily leagues by any means; they certainly have that more immediate, day-to-day excitement that isn't characteristic of weekly lineup leagues; plenty of folks prefer that, and more power to 'em. But there's simply more planning and more gut-wrenching strategic decisions that have to be made in a weekly league. (The rule re. injured players could use some refining, that much I agree with.)

And for those who feel the need to use words like "stupid" and "dumb" to describe something so many people in this thread obviously enjoy... way to respect the opinions of others in the true spirit of the Cafe. :-t
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Trojan Pony » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:17 am

Just to play devil's advocate, the last few posts have made daily rosters sound mind-numbingly simple. Such as suggesting that winning stolen bases is as simple as plugging in Juan Pierre on Sunday or that whether or not to bench your pitchers at the end of the week is a black-and-white decision, just to pick a couple examples. As far as I know, Juan Pierre isn't even guaranteed to start every night, much less steal one or more bases, so I don't see how it's that simple. And as far as benching pitchers, sure it might protect your lead in ERA and WHIP but maybe it might mean you lose K's or wins or something. There are A LOT of variables, as I'm sure there are with weekly lineups. But I think in your noble defense of your preference for weekly lineups, you're putting down daily leagues much in the same way. My point is, it's not as simple as it's being made out to be, just like I'm sure weekly isn't as simple as it's being made out to be either.

To be honest, I think to be a successful manager in a weekly league you need to do a lot of research on Sunday afternoons, while to be a successful manager in a daily league you need to do some research each day for seven days. I bet if you added it up, the two would be about the same in the end. I really don't think either is more "strategic" or "challenging" than the other, I'm just so used to daily changes that I think not being able to touch my team for 6 days would drive me bonkers.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jfg » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:17 am

I suck at daily leagues because I've played for 10+ years in weekly so I obviously have a bias. I don't want to say daily leagues are more simple, but I don't think it requires as much knowledge of the game, it's more being able to put in the time. Weekly leagues are won at the draft and with great FA pickups while daily leagues are won with perseverance and stamina. I also like weekly leagues better because it rewards good MLB players rather than whoever has the hot hand. Two-start pitching sucks in weekly play but there are things you can do to avoid aces being devalued. For hitting, you can't beat weekly.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby jnormy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:36 am

Trojan Pony wrote:But I think in your noble defense of your preference for weekly lineups, you're putting down daily leagues much in the same way. My point is, it's not as simple as it's being made out to be, just like I'm sure weekly isn't as simple as it's being made out to be either.

I still maintain it's easier setting rosters in day-to-day; figuring out when Juan Pierre is playing from one day to the next is basically a function of checking the Internet on a regular basis and deciding if he's worth the play; it doesn't require the same level of thought process as a decision that impacts the entire week. That's not a put-down, just my opinion after having played it both ways. You are right that I'm letting my bias show, and I guess I did oversimplify daily league play to some extent. But that's a lot different than calling it "dumb."
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby ayebatter » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:54 am

I play both daily & weekly leagues, and the thing that makes weekly more difficult is the fact that you only have 26 chances to right a wrong move.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1280)

Postby The Cow » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:15 am

In weekly all you really do is shuffle your fringe players, your best players, studs if you will play every week. In daily sure you play your studs the bulk of the time, but daily allows you to bench your studs when they face a Johan. I have found that in daily leagues everyone rides the pine at some point or another, even my best player Hanley. In weekly no way does Hanley sit for a week, unless he is hurt. So basically in daily leagues as far as bats go its just your weakest bats that you shuffle. I think both types of leagues look at matchups for their pitchers. Unless you have a Johan or Peavy type.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers