Weekly lineup changes..what's the appeal? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Weekly lineup changes..what's the appeal?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Weekly lineup changes..what's the appeal?

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:09 pm

I have no experience with weekly lineups but it seems like to me they would be popular with one of two types of people:

1. Fantasy football converts and/or more casual players who are unable or don't want to update their team every day.

2. Old school fantasy baseball players who grew up with pencil and paper and newspaper box scores.

I fall under neither category so weekly changes doesn't really appeal to me. I just think daily changes makes a league more active and more interesting, and therefore more fun. Watching a locked roster rack up stats for 7 days just doesn't sound like fun to me.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby noseeum » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:15 pm

Trojan Pony wrote:I have no experience with weekly lineups but it seems like to me they would be popular with one of two types of people:

1. Fantasy football converts and/or more casual players who are unable or don't want to update their team every day.

2. Old school fantasy baseball players who grew up with pencil and paper and newspaper box scores.

I fall under neither category so weekly changes doesn't really appeal to me. I just think daily changes makes a league more active and more interesting, and therefore more fun. Watching a locked roster rack up stats for 7 days just doesn't sound like fun to me.

You should try it then. By far my most active and engaged league is the weekly I'm in. Constant commentary about who screwed up their lineups. One guy posts an article every tuesday about bonehead lineup choices by all of us. It's great.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Cow » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:22 pm

J35J wrote:Just curious if those of you that say weekly is dumb has ever played in a competitive weekly league before? I know 1 or 2 of you mentioned you had but I'm curious if everyone else has. I was in the same boat just assuming it would be pretty dumb but actually turned out to like it just as much as daily leagues. I like both...just sayin...

I have done the weekly and I have found that my weekly lineup outside of my SPs is generally the same every week. Unless I have a struggling player. Whereas in daily I can look at how each batter matches up against the opposing pitchers and make changes daily. For instance in weekly I may start say Grady Sizemore every week a no brainer, but if he were to face Johan Santana in a daily I bench him that day, but I would not bench Sizemore for a week because he faces Johan once that week. Weekly you roll with the 2 start pitchers and typically your best pitchers, you do look at matchups with the pitchers, but no so much with the bats. Daily I will bench anyone if they are facing a tough pitcher and my starters I start them as I see fit, bench them versus the Bostons of the world etc. I commished a weekly league back when it was paper and pencils it just pales in comparison to daily leagues.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Slow Pitch » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:25 pm

raiders_umpire wrote: If I had my choice of a league to play though, I would choose 23 man old school roto with weekly lineup changes.

;-D ;-D ;-D

I AGREE 100%
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby J35J » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:22 pm

I guess I should point out that my daily leagues are H2H while my weekly leagues are ROTO.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby mak1277 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:33 pm

noseeum wrote:I think weekly leagues are great. You can still do daily add/drops, so there's still constant competition for free agents. I play both, but I much prefer weekly. The weight of each lineup decision is fun pressure to deal with. There's nothing like that in a daily. "oh well, I missed that game. I'll throw him in tomorrow."

I much prefer having to fret about whether I made the right calls or not.

In weeklies, you're forced to only pickup guys you think have a chance of becoming permanent members of your team. You're never really picking up a spot starter. If he bombs, you might drop him, but you're always a little more stringent with your requirements to pick a guy up. I like that too.

Besides that, from a pure enjoyment standpoint, it does level things in terms of effort. If someone in a daily league is online constantly, that's a distinct advantage. Given that many of us have lives and jobs, I don't see any point to increasing the weight of that advantage through a daily league. Weeklies level the playing field in some respects, so people who work and can't be online all day can compete with people who are online all day.

All this is good stuff, to be sure. I play in 2 weekly leagues and I enjoy the planning that goes into my decisions each week. Do I start the guy that only has 6 games over the guy that has 7, even though the first is a little better? Do I start the mediocre pitcher with 2 starts or the better pitcher with only one.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby fezzik » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:43 pm

Ender wrote:i like daily for roto btw, this is just a H2H question to me.

We will have to agree to disagree then. Last night I was winning AVG by .001 and I had 1 hitter to go and he had 0. To me going out and being able to bench that guy before the game to assure myself a win is a lame strategy, things like that are exactly why I disliked H2H daily.

I think the decisions are also a lot harder to make in weekly which is more fun to me. I agonize every sunday over which of my pitchers to start etc, with daily transactions it was almost always a no brainer which players to stick in and which not to.

I agree with this...

I think another good format for H2H would be to freeze the rosters every Sunday/Monday, but allow for daily changes using only the guys who were on your roster the day of the freeze...any adds/drops/trades wouldn't be reflected until the following freeze...so you could still adjust for an injury, and still have control over your entire bench. It would still favor the best overall team (including depth)...but unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your perspective ;-) )it would allow for the scenario you mentioned above taking place (benching a hitter when you have a tenous lead in avg). It would be a fun alternative though.

Because I can't seem to find a really good 6th pitching cat to restrict streamers in daily H2H (it seems like every attempted adjustment over-values RP's), I end up enjoying the weekly change leagues for H2H more. I should really play more roto though...if anyone has an opening in a solid roto league, let me know. ;-D
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Sid Bream's Slide » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:26 pm

Trojan Pony wrote:I have no experience with weekly lineups but it seems like to me they would be popular with one of two types of people:

3. People who are fans of DUMB and STUPID things, according to this thread.

I much prefer weekly because I don't have time to check and adjust lineups every night.

There is also a lot of matchup strategy involved - you've gotta consider your opponent's strengths and weaknesses a lot closer than you do with daily leagues.

For example, you can't just sub in a Gomez or Pierre on Sunday to catch up on steals - you have think about whether it's worth abandoning the category if you're going up against someone with Reyes, Soriano, and Roberts. I've had many weeks when I've had to decide between a mediocre 2 start guy and a better 1 start guy. If I'm going up against someone with Nathan and Papelbon, I might try to put in a couple of RP eligible starters.

And thus and such.
Sid Bream's Slide
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby 5 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:16 pm

I qualify for #2

Maybe it's for people that remember Dale Murphy.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Wharton93 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:50 pm

Weekly = Strategy
Daily = Tactical

It's that simple, but please---stop saying daily takes 'more strategy' and stop saying "I never played Weekly but Daily is better."

A strategy is a big picture plan, made up many small tactical moves. With a weekly lineup, you need to look at the entire week and assess matchups over the course of the week. You need to figure out who might be a good 2x starter, which of your pitchers might be pitching in Colorado (6 days from now), which of your pitchers get to face the AAA Giants, which hitters have 2 off days this week, or have to play 6 games in pitchers parks against good pitchers. You have to do risk assessment on injured players---will Duchsherer pitch for Oakland on Saturday? (only if his minor league start tonight goes OK). What's up with Chipper or AROD quad injuries? There's a lot of planning for a weekly strategy.

The easy way, imo, is just to do Daily---you can avoid due diligence and just come to the cafe and post "is Chipper playing tonight?!?!?!? WHIR WHIR WHIR please WHIR WHIR" Besides, if you are ahead in all pitching categores going into Sunday, just how much "strategy" (???) does it take to bench your final pitcher? The answer is rather mechanical---bench the pitcher---which isn't a "strategy" either.

There's also a different tolerance for free time---Daily requres a daily (duh) sitting on lineup postings to see if so-and-so (insert backup catcher here) is in the lineup or not---other people may have travel, work or family obligations precluding them from using "strategy"(????) to decide whether to bench a guy or not based upon whether he's in the lineup or not. Daily takes a heckuva lot of time---no question about it.

To each his own, but please come down off the pedestal with the Daily = ownage.
Wharton93
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers