Weekly lineup changes..what's the appeal? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Weekly lineup changes..what's the appeal?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Weekly lineup changes..what's the appeal?

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:31 am

I don't know but I like making daily lineup changes. I like knowing that I have a hand in the outcome of each game even though this couldn't be further from the truth. :-D

The two H2H leagues are money leagues so people don't stream players. Also, starts limit per week for pitchers takes manipulation completely out of the equation.

But different strokes for different folks. I never did weekly changes so I can't tell you my opinion but I imagine it is pretty boring with less activity.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Torr » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:32 am

Ender wrote:I don't see the appeal of daily lineups. Your players aren't doing as good as the other team so you pick up a bunch of guys off the waiver wire to help you win or you bench all your hitters on Sunday to win average or all your pitchers to win ERA etc, that is just lame. The team with the best players should win each week, not the guy that manipulates the system the best.

The example of sitting players on a Sunday is strategy. Evaluating talent on your team is important, but it's not the only thing in fantasy baseball. If all you want to do is pick up players and let them play, you might as well just have a draft and let some computer program adjust your roster all year, and come back at the end to see if you've won. Some people don't have time to make daily moves and that's cool if they want to play in weekly leagues, but to be fair the league is being slightly "simplified" because of thier lack of time. I'm not saying weekly lineups are easy, just that they are a little easier to deal with throughout the course of the season. It's certainly possible to slow or negate streaming in a daily transactions league (in our league we do it by making you pay for moves)... so I don't see that as a great reason for weekly lineups.

If a team sits some batters on Sunday to win say strikeouts, or batting average (depending on your league categories), it's most likely because they have a team that's fairly dominant in other categories. If they get out to such a lead in runs/HRs/RBIs that they can afford to sit players, then they have earned that luxury by building a good team. It is up to the other team to make it competitive enough that they can't do that. Same with pitching... if I blow a team out in the 4 starting pitching categories but saves are tied, strategy demands that I should try to start an extra reliever to win saves. Adjusting to the week's results actually rewards teams with better rosters rather then hinders them.

I have nothing at all against weekly lineups if you're into it and enjoy it, but to say adjusting your roster during the week is lame and "manipulating the system" doesn't make much sense to me at all.
Torr
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:10 pm

I enjoy playing fantasy baseball, so I play leagues with weekly and daily changes. I enjoy both. Both have different strategies, but both are still a blast to play. If I had my choice of a league to play though, I would choose 23 man old school roto with weekly lineup changes.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ender » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:18 pm

i like daily for roto btw, this is just a H2H question to me.

We will have to agree to disagree then. Last night I was winning AVG by .001 and I had 1 hitter to go and he had 0. To me going out and being able to bench that guy before the game to assure myself a win is a lame strategy, things like that are exactly why I disliked H2H daily.

I think the decisions are also a lot harder to make in weekly which is more fun to me. I agonize every sunday over which of my pitchers to start etc, with daily transactions it was almost always a no brainer which players to stick in and which not to.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:22 pm

Ender wrote:We will have to agree to disagree then. Last night I was winning AVG by .001 and I had 1 hitter to go and he had 0. To me going out and being able to bench that guy before the game to assure myself a win is a lame strategy, things like that are exactly why I disliked H2H daily.

Yeah I like the option of benching players and pitchers based on match up. That seems more realistic and gives me the power to control the outcome of the match up.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby great gretzky » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:26 pm

Pardon me if this has already been said, but I think weekly lineup changes are kind of dumb. But if you could set it to where you can only say/add drop one day of the week, but otherwise adjust your roster to either start and sit, now that would be pretty fun.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:37 pm

great gretzky wrote:Pardon me if this has already been said, but I think weekly lineup changes are kind of dumb. But if you could set it to where you can only say/add drop one day of the week, but otherwise adjust your roster to either start and sit, now that would be pretty fun.

My 20 team league is like this. It's a really tough league since adds are based on waiver rankings. So everyone puts in a claim during the week, the commish reviews and adds players on Sunday. If two owners put in a claim for the same player then the waiver order determines who gets him. It's not based on first come first serve so your options are very limited since it is a deeper league to begin with. Very challenging.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby noseeum » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:44 pm

I think weekly leagues are great. You can still do daily add/drops, so there's still constant competition for free agents. I play both, but I much prefer weekly. The weight of each lineup decision is fun pressure to deal with. There's nothing like that in a daily. "oh well, I missed that game. I'll throw him in tomorrow."

I much prefer having to fret about whether I made the right calls or not.

In weeklies, you're forced to only pickup guys you think have a chance of becoming permanent members of your team. You're never really picking up a spot starter. If he bombs, you might drop him, but you're always a little more stringent with your requirements to pick a guy up. I like that too.

Besides that, from a pure enjoyment standpoint, it does level things in terms of effort. If someone in a daily league is online constantly, that's a distinct advantage. Given that many of us have lives and jobs, I don't see any point to increasing the weight of that advantage through a daily league. Weeklies level the playing field in some respects, so people who work and can't be online all day can compete with people who are online all day.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby J35J » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:46 pm

Just curious if those of you that say weekly is dumb has ever played in a competitive weekly league before? I know 1 or 2 of you mentioned you had but I'm curious if everyone else has. I was in the same boat just assuming it would be pretty dumb but actually turned out to like it just as much as daily leagues. I like both...just sayin...
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby great gretzky » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:02 pm

Yoda wrote:
great gretzky wrote:Pardon me if this has already been said, but I think weekly lineup changes are kind of dumb. But if you could set it to where you can only say/add drop one day of the week, but otherwise adjust your roster to either start and sit, now that would be pretty fun.

My 20 team league is like this. It's a really tough league since adds are based on waiver rankings. So everyone puts in a claim during the week, the commish reviews and adds players on Sunday. If two owners put in a claim for the same player then the waiver order determines who gets him. It's not based on first come first serve so your options are very limited since it is a deeper league to begin with. Very challenging.

yea, if you must do weekly, I like that. similar to my football league.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers