Weekly lineup changes..what's the appeal? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Weekly lineup changes..what's the appeal?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Weekly lineup changes..what's the appeal?

Postby Ender » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:25 am

I don't see the appeal of daily lineups. Your players aren't doing as good as the other team so you pick up a bunch of guys off the waiver wire to help you win or you bench all your hitters on Sunday to win average or all your pitchers to win ERA etc, that is just lame. The team with the best players should win each week, not the guy that manipulates the system the best.

The only way weekly lineups are worse than daily is with injuries but even that adds some strategy, I took a chance and started Rollins last week and got burned but I knew the risks going in.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J.C.Fighter » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:42 am

Ender wrote:I don't see the appeal of daily lineups. Your players aren't doing as good as the other team so you pick up a bunch of guys off the waiver wire to help you win or you bench all your hitters on Sunday to win average or all your pitchers to win ERA etc, that is just lame. The team with the best players should win each week, not the guy that manipulates the system the best.

The only way weekly lineups are worse than daily is with injuries but even that adds some strategy, I took a chance and started Rollins last week and got burned but I knew the risks going in.

Not all daily leagues are like that ,man. I don't know how benching all your pitchers on Sunday when you're winning in era/whip is lame...that's more of a good strategy if you ask me. Weekly is stupid because a lot of people forget to set their lineups on Sunday. That almost guarantees you a loss that week..
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby J35J » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:49 am

Ender wrote:I don't see the appeal of daily lineups. Your players aren't doing as good as the other team so you pick up a bunch of guys off the waiver wire to help you win or you bench all your hitters on Sunday to win average or all your pitchers to win ERA etc, that is just lame. The team with the best players should win each week, not the guy that manipulates the system the best.

Yup, I agree. I just think your player evaluation needs to be better in weekly leagues because you are "stuck" with who you put out there for a week at a time. You can't just drop a guy for the next hot thing.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

Postby Matthias » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:56 am

Weekly leagues are for sissies. In the olden days, we would play in leagues where you could only adjust your lineup every 3 years.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby northjersey78 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:08 am

jcook3127 wrote:I really don't get these leagues where everybody scrambles to fill their rosters in on Sunday...just seems so unlike what fantasy baseball should be about..

1. You have absolutely no adaption to the weeks events...if a guy gets injured, you're stuck with him. If a bencher is dominating, you can't play him. If wins is tied going into the Sunday Nighter and you had a guy like Eaton benched, you cannot play him...

I just don't understand the reasoning behind this...part of the fun of fantasy is being able to battle it out with somebody else...if you start out performing awful you can try to battle back and salvage the week with some Waiver Wire WOrk

Are they simply in place to prevent teams from streaming pitchers and benching players? I've never had a problem with either...I'm of the opinion that whatever you are allowed to do legally under the rules of the game, you can do...

Does anybody want to defend their weekly line-up leagues? Where's the advantage? Where's the fun?

I'm with you - I think the weekly lineup thing is stupid. God forbid you forget to do it by Monday morning and you're screwed. I joined a a points based roto league that does lineups weekly - it blows. H2H is way better in my opinion.
http://www.newyorksportstown.com

Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Rangers, Devils, Isanders, Knicks, Nets, Rutgers
northjersey78
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby J35J » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:24 am

northjersey78 wrote:I joined a a points based

Well there is your issue....not weekly lineups. ;-7

I'm not sure why everyone is worried about forgetting to set your lineups in these leagues? You can set your lineup every day if you want....it just doesn't go into effect until the end of the week...or whenever your deadline is. Also, why would you forget, don't you check your teams every day regardless? :-?
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

Postby rookies and cream » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:36 am

J35J wrote:
northjersey78 wrote:I joined a a points based

Well there is your issue....not weekly lineups. ;-7

I'm not sure why everyone is worried about forgetting to set your lineups in these leagues? You can set your lineup every day if you want....it just doesn't go into effect until the end of the week...or whenever your deadline is. Also, why would you forget, don't you check your teams every day regardless? :-?

I play in 4 leagues - 2 weekly and 2 daily - and enjoy them both equally. I have NEVER forgotten to set my line-up in a weekly league. I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten to set my line-up in my daily leagues though.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby The Cow » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:51 am

Yeah Ender just take all the strategy out of it, thats what weekly leagues do. What you call manipulating the system I call strategy. There is nothing better than beating a superior team because you outsmarted the opposing GM. Weekly leagues require very little skill or attention to ones team. Daily leagues require one to stay on top of what is going on with their team on a daily basis. You cannot do a Saturday night cram session to figure out what you should do in a daily league, you can get away with this in weekly leagues though. If you want to take it easy and make changes once a week then do the weekly leagues. If you prefer the more hands on approach do the daily leagues.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:21 am

The Cow wrote:

Yeah Ender just take all the strategy out of it, thats what weekly leagues do. What you call manipulating the system I call strategy. There is nothing better than beating a superior team because you outsmarted the opposing GM. Weekly leagues require very little skill or attention to ones team. Daily leagues require one to stay on top of what is going on with their team on a daily basis. You cannot do a Saturday night cram session to figure out what you should do in a daily league, you can get away with this in weekly leagues though. If you want to take it easy and make changes once a week then do the weekly leagues. If you prefer the more hands on approach do the daily leagues.

The Cow

I wouldn't say Weekly leagues require little skill. Since you can't manipulate your team as you could with a Daily league, a Weekly league is more reliant on how you draft. There is nothing wrong IMO with needing to have a strong draft.

If players have the time to adjust their lineups every day then yeah Daily leagues is probably better for them because they can put that extra effort in. But if someone has to spend a lot of time for school/family/work/whatever, they shouldn't be at a disadvantage because they have to live their life too; Weekly leagues would be their best bet.

I'm only in a Daily league but I wouldn't have a problem being in a Weekly league, and like others have said, you don't have to wait until Sunday to set your lineup, you can do it during the week.
JasonSeahorn Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby 5 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:29 am

J35J wrote:

Yup, I agree. I just think your player evaluation needs to be better in weekly leagues because you are "stuck" with who you put out there for a week at a time. You can't just drop a guy for the next hot thing.

Same here....

weekly > daily
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers