Weekly lineup changes..what's the appeal? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Weekly lineup changes..what's the appeal?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Weekly lineup changes..what's the appeal?

Postby jcook3127 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:02 am

I really don't get these leagues where everybody scrambles to fill their rosters in on Sunday...just seems so unlike what fantasy baseball should be about..

1. You have absolutely no adaption to the weeks events...if a guy gets injured, you're stuck with him. If a bencher is dominating, you can't play him. If wins is tied going into the Sunday Nighter and you had a guy like Eaton benched, you cannot play him...

I just don't understand the reasoning behind this...part of the fun of fantasy is being able to battle it out with somebody else...if you start out performing awful you can try to battle back and salvage the week with some Waiver Wire WOrk

Are they simply in place to prevent teams from streaming pitchers and benching players? I've never had a problem with either...I'm of the opinion that whatever you are allowed to do legally under the rules of the game, you can do...

Does anybody want to defend their weekly line-up leagues? Where's the advantage? Where's the fun?
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Weekly lineup changes..what's the appeal?

Postby Sea Dog Fan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:13 am

I don't like weekly leagues either. You can prevent streaming with max roster moves, but no one in my league streams so we don't have any max moves.
Sea Dog Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fezzik » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:34 am

jcook3127 wrote:I really don't get these leagues where everybody scrambles to fill their rosters in on Sunday...just seems so unlike what fantasy baseball should be about..

1. You have absolutely no adaption to the weeks events...if a guy gets injured, you're stuck with him. If a bencher is dominating, you can't play him. If wins is tied going into the Sunday Nighter and you had a guy like Eaton benched, you cannot play him...

I just don't understand the reasoning behind this...part of the fun of fantasy is being able to battle it out with somebody else...if you start out performing awful you can try to battle back and salvage the week with some Waiver Wire WOrk

Are they simply in place to prevent teams from streaming pitchers and benching players? I've never had a problem with either...I'm of the opinion that whatever you are allowed to do legally under the rules of the game, you can do...

Does anybody want to defend their weekly line-up leagues? Where's the advantage? Where's the fun?

I'm in one weekly lineup league each year and I enjoy it...I'm also in one or two daily leagues. It's different and it's fun...it certainly doesn't need defending IMO, but I'll address some points you brought up.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you want to avoid streaming pitchers (or even spot starting them), then it's a good thing. If you're in a league with friends who enjoy baseball, but don't have the time to check their teams every night...it's a good thing if you want to avoid giving someone a competitive advantage.

That is the only thing that I've found that frustrates me...if a guy goes down during the week you can't replace him...it's the same for everyone though, so it's still fair.

If a bencher is dominating, then you guessed wrong...that's part of the fun in this format. You pay for your mistakes...there is just as much strategy involved in weekly lineup changes, it's just different...you really have to analyze matchups...is Tulo playing the majority of games at home or away? Who are your 4th and 5th starters pitching against? How may closers does your opponent have? How do you best matchup your pitching with his probable pitching lineup? Do you have any two-start pitchers? Are they aces or boarderline starters? If boarderline do the matchups warrant the risk of plugging them in your lineup? If wins is tied on Sunday, he can't start his Meche either...it's fair.

I don't think fantasy baseball is about that at all...if you have the best team, you shouldn't need to hit the wire...you shouldn't have to stream pitchers to salvage K's and W's. I think weekly lineup changes is a better reflection of who has the best overall team. One reason to use weekly changes is to avoid streamers, which you say you've never had a problem with...but I know many people (including the majority of managers I've ever played with) who think the strategy is weak and should be against the rules...but it's not so one alternative is setting weekly lineup changes. If you like to micromanage your team, another would be keeping it daily changes but altering the pitching cats to include more ratio-oriented cats...or add L's as a cat...or set a limit on roster moves during the week.

I think of weekly change leagues like a H2H version of roto, because it rewards the team with the best overall balance...and best overall starting team. It does lessen the importance of depth to an extent, although if someone on your team goes down it's nice to have a capable backup to start the next week. That being said I enjoy both formats of H2H and generally play in more daily roster change leagues which just tweak the categories to avoid the advantages of streaming pitchers...because I think it takes a lot of the fun out the game...but to each their own. Trust me though...weekly lineup change leagues are fun! ;-D
Last edited by fezzik on Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby J.C.Fighter » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:37 am

Yahoo should just take out weekly lineup changes already..
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Old_Style » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:13 am

J.C.Fighter wrote:Yahoo should just take out weekly lineup changes already..

Why? :-?
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:17 am

I'm in a few weekly lineup leagues thru rototimes. I like em, though I wouldn't want to play them exclusively -- all my other leagues are daily.

The main benefit to them is that they require much less maintenance. And any disadvantages to not being adapt are shared by all players in the league equally, so no biggie.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Slow Pitch » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:48 am

I like weekly line up leagues. ;-D
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby J35J » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:36 am

I enjoy weekly leagues as well. I thought I wouldn't ever play in one but I did for the first time last year and I really enjoy it. It puts more importance on the draft, which I like. And also puts more importance on your player evaluations because you gotta go with the guy you put in there...you can't change your lineup 65 times during the week. I like to have a great draft...make sound roster decisions and just let me boys play.

With that said, I play in both daily and weekly leagues and I enjoy both....don't knock the weekly leagues without trying them first...they may suprise you! ;-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby duckbillgates » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:56 am

I'm in one of each, and they both have their appeals.

Probably the main reason our one league has weekly roster changes is to level the playing field for guys who don't hover online as much.

You would be surprised how much strategy goes into to setting weekly rosters. Not just two-start pitchers but deciding whether to bench or start a guy based on hit home-away splits for the week. It also does place more emphasis on the draft. You can't address a weakness with a platoon.

I like them both.
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dclark0699 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:18 am

I'm playing in one this year and I don't like it. On top of not feeling like I have total control of my team - I always forget to adjust my lineup on Saturday night.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers