Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tim Lincecum??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Tim Lincecum??

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:45 pm

Guzman24 wrote:Timmy's a stud.

Top 5 SP by year end IMO.

;-D

He certainly has the talent but I doubt that happens this year. I think he will easily be a top 20 pitcher and anything better than that is gravy.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:47 pm

Yoda wrote:

;-D

He certainly has the talent but I doubt that happens this year. I think he will easily be a top 20 pitcher and anything better than that is gravy.

He was a top 20 pitcher heading into the season. Top 10 is a solid goal but that won't be easy in SF.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:00 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
Yoda wrote:

;-D

He was a top 20 pitcher heading into the season. Top 10 is a solid goal but that won't be easy in SF.

Not sure if he was top 20 coming in. I think he was more in the 25-30 range. Rookies and Cream's MDP has him at 26:
Johan Santana
Jake Peavy
Brandon Webb
Josh Beckett
Erik Bedard
C.C. Sabathia
Justin Verlander
Cole Hamels
Dan Haren
John Lackey
Carlos Zambrano
Aaron Harang
Roy Oswalt
Scott Kazmir
John Smoltz
Roy Halladay
Felix Hernandez
Chris Young
Daisuke Matsuzaka
Fausto Carmona
Javier Vazquez
Ben Sheets
Francisco Liriano
Brett Myers
James Shields
Tim Lincecum

Anyway, I think he still needs to sharpen up his control or he will have some ugly outings from time to time against patient and good hitting teams. In order for him to be top 10 that is regardless of how good his team is.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:05 pm

I figured he would be in the 18-22 range so Lincecum in the top 20 didn't sound like much of an improvement compared to top 15 and top 10 if he ended up being superb. The FBC compiled rankings ended up having him 21st.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:08 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:I figured he would be in the 18-22 range so Lincecum in the top 20 didn't sound like much of an improvement compared to top 15 and top 10 if he ended up being superb. The FBC compiled rankings ended up having him 21st.

That is why I said 'easily' in top 20. I don't go out on a limb too often :-D
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:25 pm

My points league is pretty K heavy so he's a great pickup in that league
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Russell James » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:34 pm

Been very impressed with this guy. I knew he was a K machine, but so is Billingsley and he can't keep teams from scoring 5 runs on him.

I don't want to jump onto the hype wagon too quick so I will wait this one out, but he has looked dominant.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby vlat89 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:22 pm

;-D

I definitely agree with this. He is so dominating that he can pitch his way out of most jams with the K. That's the sign of a true stud. He should lead the league in K's this year, that's right I said it, barring health. Probably not wins though since he's on the Giants.
vlat89
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby tuff_gong » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:23 pm

Yoda wrote:

;-D

Agreed. I think he'll be rated 15-20 at the end of the year. Until he can get that WHIP down, he won't be able to break the top 10, imo.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:25 pm

Yoda wrote:
Ender wrote:I dunno, anyone who faces the padres a lot is going to put up good stats. I think Lincecum is good but lets see him face some real teams(no the Cardinals dont' really count either) before we start handing him a Cy Young or anything.

I don't think anyone is handing him the Cy although with his current W pace he is well headed towards that way.

You never gave Lincecum any credit and you continue to diss him. He will have control issues from time to time but overall, excellent starts will outweigh poor starts.

What do you mean I never gave him any credit? I've never said a bad thing about him as far as I know. I just like Gallardo more than him for this year(and for last). The only young pitcher I have dissed is Bailey who I think is going to be a bust.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers