Tim Lincecum?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tim Lincecum??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Tim Lincecum??

Postby northjersey78 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:28 am

I hope this kid blows up this year - I was high on him out of the minors last year, and I targeted him in both my money leagues this year. If I get 10-12 wins to go with a sub 3.70 ERA and 200 K's, I'll be happy.
http://www.newyorksportstown.com

Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Rangers, Devils, Isanders, Knicks, Nets, Rutgers
northjersey78
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:34 am

Also his WHIP is screwy because he pitched out of the pen against the Dodgers and Bochy made him go out there again after a long rain delay.

It's utterly ridiculous to try and analyze a pitcher's stats over 3 games. Also, so what if he faced STL twice? They saw him back to back and still only scored two runs against him. That means more to me than his BABIP or WHIP at this stage of the season. He'll be a top pitcher this year regardless of support from his team.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby J35J » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:50 am

Yoda wrote:Also his WHIP is screwy because he pitched out of the pen against the Dodgers and Bochy made him go out there again after a long rain delay.

It's utterly ridiculous to try and analyze a pitcher's stats over 3 games. Also, so what if he faced STL twice? They saw him back to back and still only scored two runs against him. That means more to me than his BABIP or WHIP at this stage of the season. He'll be a top pitcher this year regardless of support from his team.

Agreed on all points.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Guzman24 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:20 pm

Yoda wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:He's faced the Cardinals twice who besides Pujols are awful. He's faced the Padres once who besdies no one are offensively anemic and he's pitched against the Dodgers who haven't shown much yet either.
His Whip after pitching those 4 games is 1.39 with a BAA .271 :-t He has been very lucky that his ERA is not much higher.

I'm not a believer at all in second year pitchers. I know this guy does have great natural ability and I've witnessed this in the 4-5 games I've seen him pitch in. He will have a great k/9 but I wouldn't expect any improvment on his ERA and Whip ratios from 2007.

You are a funny guy NZ Eff. You definitely should get a jester mask. :-D

I second that notion.

Everything that comes out of NZ's mouth is friggin hilarious.
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 1)

Postby rjforlife » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:42 am

Faces the Pads for the second time and they still cant manage a run. He strikes out 9 despite a pretty tight strike zone and less than stellar control. People just cannot hit his fastball, no matter where he throws it. Its been a while since I can remember a guy with a fastball like his where he can throw it down the middle three times and strike a guy out......anyone who thinks this kid isnt the real deal is kidding, and dont throw any fancy stats at me, just watch him pitch. The only thing that can hold this kid back is an injury, and besides that the future is certainly bright.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby Ender » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:50 am

I dunno, anyone who faces the padres a lot is going to put up good stats. I think Lincecum is good but lets see him face some real teams(no the Cardinals dont' really count either) before we start handing him a Cy Young or anything.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:53 am

I honestly don't see how any batter could hit him the way he's been throwing lately. He's got absolutely ridiculous stuff.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:55 am

Ender wrote:I dunno, anyone who faces the padres a lot is going to put up good stats. I think Lincecum is good but lets see him face some real teams(no the Cardinals dont' really count either) before we start handing him a Cy Young or anything.

I don't think anyone is handing him the Cy although with his current W pace he is well headed towards that way.

You never gave Lincecum any credit and you continue to diss him. He will have control issues from time to time but overall, excellent starts will outweigh poor starts.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby rjforlife » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:57 am

Plus, HE PITCHES IN THE NL WEST. Hes going to get to face the Padres plenty.....thats hardly something to hold against him....and who are these great NL hitting teams hes supposed to blow against? The Padres and Cardinals arent stellar but im hardly afraid of:

Florida
Washington
Pittsburgh
Cincy
Dodgers

The only real powers in the NL are the Cubs, Phillies, and Arizona. Everyone else is pretty mediocre, ready for Tim to feast on......
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby Guzman24 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:34 pm

Timmy's a stud.

Top 5 SP by year end IMO.

;-D