Rule Changes AFTER season starts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Rule Changes AFTER season starts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rule Changes AFTER season starts

Postby Matthias » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:36 am

Oh yah, and if you wanna get all positivist, if there's a league rule that the Commissioner possesses the power to fix any exploitable F-ups during the course of the season, then you should also figure that into your draft strategy. It's in the rules, right?
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby noseeum » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:01 am

Matthias wrote:
MTUCache wrote:Ditto... if this is a "competitive" league, where people are going to try their hardest to win, they're going to exploit so-called "loopholes" like this. If everyone knows about the rules ahead of time, this isn't angle-shooting, it's strategy. Plain and simple, it's completely within the rules of the league (as they were set up), and it's a valid plan.

Look, man, I'm a lawyer in real life. I don't want to play one in fantasy baseball. Yes, the league should be set up properly from the get-go. Yes, I put a lot of thought into how I set up my league and how I structure the rules. Yes, in my league I've already kobosh'ed streaming with 60 move limits. But... I'm not perfect. You're not perfect. Noone's perfect. Any system of rules is going to have the possibility of unintended consequences. And not for streaming per se but for something else, possibly... if I realized there was a loophole that went against the spirit of the league, made it no fun, and stopped rewarding quality players in favor of a loophole, I would put the kobosh on it then rather than letting the year play out and ruining the purpose of the enterprise.

You guys really need to pick up some Ayn Rand; I think you'd really dig.

Ayn Rand? She'd be a huge fan of streaming. The 9 other collectivist whiners who didn't think of it in the first place and want to put a stop to it would catch her wrath. :-D
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CruiseJD » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:08 am

Matthias wrote:Oh yah, and if you wanna get all positivist, if there's a league rule that the Commissioner possesses the power to fix any exploitable F-ups during the course of the season, then you should also figure that into your draft strategy. It's in the rules, right?

Ha! Now that would be a cool rule as a Commish. A rule that allows the Commish to essentially trump any rule if the rule is determined to be exploitable (in the sole discretion of the Commish :-D ). I couldn't enter into a league with that rule because it gives too much discretion to the Commish - I might consider it if certain rules were deemed fundamental and not subject to "fixing" by the Commish.

I am a strict " legal positivist" when it comes to games. For better or for worse, I fall on the side of letting the exploitable rule continue in season unless unanimous agreement is reached.
CruiseJD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BigMusky » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:12 am

you can not change rules after a season starts....streaming is legit strategy and not BS in any way shape or form. If you ban it then I better not see anyone subbing in batters during there regular guys day off because it is the same thing. There are lots of ways to combat a streaming strategy on a one week basis and streaming all but guarantees you will not win regular season title as you are forfeiting two CATS each week.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:59 am

Im agreeing with everyone else. Streaming is crap, but if the league rules allow it then so be it. If you want to prevent it then you fix the rules in the off season. Either by tweaking the scoring cats to reward good pitchers or adding an inning limit.

Going to weekly also helps (I prefer it), but then you see a different type of streaming. Someone can pick up every FA 2-start pitcher. Im dealing with this now in my points league and a lot of people are annoyed with it because even a couple of crappy starts can outscore a decent one in our set up.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Oatsdad » Tue May 06, 2008 11:33 am

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:Im agreeing with everyone else. Streaming is crap, but if the league rules allow it then so be it. If you want to prevent it then you fix the rules in the off season. Either by tweaking the scoring cats to reward good pitchers or adding an inning limit.

Whether one likes streaming or not, it's a well-known strategy. If you don't want it, you have to prevent it BEFORE the season starts.

I can see some accidental loophole needing correction - with approval of the owners, not just commish's choice - but streaming is too common to count in this category. If you don't stop it pre-draft, then it stands. No legit commish can argue they don't know about it in advance. Don't like it? Halt it PRE-draft, not later...
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby shawngee03 » Tue May 06, 2008 1:24 pm

if i drafted for the intention of streaming, then the rules changed post draft to not allow me to stream, thus killing my team....i would quit immediately and if it was a money league i would demand my money back.

and thsi is the main reason i feel it should not be done post-draft. sure many people in the league might be upset, but they are still going to play. and there is no way teh streamer runs away with the title, so everyone will still stay competitive. but if you change the rules, i see a very good chance you completely lose at least one team. that to me is teh worst thing that can happen to a league

edit: i guess i should say if you drafted for any strategy and it got squashed, not just streaming
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner