Rule Changes AFTER season starts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Rule Changes AFTER season starts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rule Changes AFTER season starts

Postby CruiseJD » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:15 am

Next year. I wouldn't make a major change like that in season unless it was unanimous.
CruiseJD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:22 am

Oatsdad wrote:I think it's BS to make a change like this, especially because it targets one or two specific players. Is streaming a cheap tactic? Maybe yes, maybe no, but if you don't make it illegal BEFORE the season starts - and put rules in effect to prevent it - then tough luck.

Again, wrong.

What if there's no specific rules at all other than lineup requirements? And then two guys decide to make one uber-team? It's within the commissioner's discretion to say that something is happening that is not on the up-and-up and it's going to stop.

Oatsdad wrote:Putting a cap on moves after the fact is a cry-baby move, IMO...

This isn't some masculinity contest. This is about making something that is fun and enjoyable for 10-12 people. Ultimately, this is a game.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Torr » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:39 am

I don't have a problem with teams adjusting their rules in theory, though I find it a bit unfair if teams had a draft strategy specifically tailored to the league's settings. Good drafters take a league's settings into consideration when they draft, and you have to be careful about making substantial rule changes if you want to be considered a decent and fair commissioner.
Torr
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby noseeum » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:52 am

Matthias wrote:
Oatsdad wrote:I think it's BS to make a change like this, especially because it targets one or two specific players. Is streaming a cheap tactic? Maybe yes, maybe no, but if you don't make it illegal BEFORE the season starts - and put rules in effect to prevent it - then tough luck.

Again, wrong.

What if there's no specific rules at all other than lineup requirements? And then two guys decide to make one uber-team? It's within the commissioner's discretion to say that something is happening that is not on the up-and-up and it's going to stop.

Well I think the rule against collusion applies in every league. If two owners agree to make one good team, that's the clearest case of collusion you can have. If you're running your league on any of the major websites, collusion is prohibited. That's out and out cheating. That's one team making himself worse in order to make another better.

Streaming is not cheating. It's just annoying to a lot of people.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:42 pm

In the leagues I run, off-season rule changes are subject to majority approval and in-season rule changes are subject to UNANIMOUS approval. If even one manager objects, the rule should not be change in-season. So the only rule changes that would realistically happen are silly oversights and really obvious issues. Other than that, you already drafted, it's too late, it wouldn't be fair. Learn from your mistakes, live with it for this year, and vote on the changes before next season.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BTOWNHESS » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:49 pm

I run a 10 team league and I have a strict 70% league vote needed to make a change in-season. If something isnt working right, its addressed to the league and 7 out of 10 guys agree it should change, I change it.

If I see a couple managers not taking a single pitcher until the 20th round and its obvious they plan to stream throughout the year and in the first week of the season a manager proposed to cap the # of moves, I would say no. Thats chicken****.

As Commish you need to make sound and reasonable decisions for the integrity of the league you have set up while at the same time keeping arguments to a minimum and letting everyone have a chance to have a good time.

A Commish who see's a couple managers streaming and figures that is bad for him and his team and just decides to cap moves the next day shouldnt be a Commish and Ill bet it sucks to play in that league.
BTOWNHESS
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CowabugnaDude » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:15 pm

Thank you so much for all of your opinions. Just to clarify, I may have overstated STREAMING. Out of 8 SP, 6 are permanent so we aren't really being shady in my opinion. AND we are co-owners, we share one team, there is no collusion going on.

We actually have at least half the league taking our side but who knows if that will be enough for the dudes in charge.

This place is great, thanks guys.
C R.Martin
1B Swisher
2B Utley
3B A.Rodríguez
SS M.Tejada
OF J.Bay
OF M.Ordóñez
OF N.Markakis
Util M.Bradley
T.Buchholz
D.Brocail
K.Wood
B.Wilson
J.Rauch
Gallagher
Kazmir
D.Eveland
M.Cain
C.Kershaw
J.Lannan
J.Sánchez
Arroyo
Ol.Pérez
A.Miller
C.Kershaw
CowabugnaDude
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mak1277 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:02 am

Oatsdad wrote:I think it's BS to make a change like this, especially because it targets one or two specific players. Is streaming a cheap tactic? Maybe yes, maybe no, but if you don't make it illegal BEFORE the season starts - and put rules in effect to prevent it - then tough luck. Putting a cap on moves after the fact is a cry-baby move, IMO...

I completely agree...if you aren't thinking enough to put rules in place to prevent streaming BEFORE the draft...then tough luck, you're stuck for the year. I would leave any league that changed rules in mid-stream on me...it's unacceptable.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Whisp » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:41 am

Matthias wrote:
Whisp wrote:shouldn't be any changes unless every single person wants the change

Wrong.

please continue to let me know when i'm wrong. do you have the answer key to everyone's questions?
C-MMontero/Iannetta 1B-Hosmer 2B-Kendrick 3B-MiCabrera/Rolen SS-Rollins
CI-IDavis MI-RRoberts OF-Bruce/Crisp/Hunter/Cain/Rios
SP-Sabathia/ClLee/Wainwright/Pineda/Hellickson/JSantana
RP-Putz/Santiago/Rodney/Lidge/Clippard
Whisp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Oatsdad » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:55 am

Matthias wrote:What if there's no specific rules at all other than lineup requirements? And then two guys decide to make one uber-team? It's within the commissioner's discretion to say that something is happening that is not on the up-and-up and it's going to stop.

As others have stated, collusion is explicitly against the rules at all fantasy sites. Streaming and making lots of roster moves aren't. If you want a limit, you do that BEFORE the season starts - you don't change rules midway and seriously muck with someone's strategy just because you don't like that strategy...
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Commissioner's Corner