Rule Changes AFTER season starts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Rule Changes AFTER season starts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rule Changes AFTER season starts

Postby CowabugnaDude » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:10 pm

What are your opinions on changing league rules after the season starts?

I co-own a team in this league that I thought was a good one. We were streaming pitchers and had racked up over 40 moves. We like to tinker what can I say.. Anyway, the commissioner JUST decided to put a cap on moves allowed. At first he made it 60 moves max and no reset on previous moves. After complaining our ass' off, he ended up reseting previous moves to zero but put the cap at 20!

Now we like to talk a lot of crap (which in my opinion is half the fun) and this move was obviously targeted towards us.

I am under the opinion that this kind of thing shouldn't happen?? In general, there should be no major rule changes after the season starts, am I right??
C R.Martin
1B Swisher
2B Utley
3B A.Rodríguez
SS M.Tejada
OF J.Bay
OF M.Ordóñez
OF N.Markakis
Util M.Bradley
T.Buchholz
D.Brocail
K.Wood
B.Wilson
J.Rauch
Gallagher
Kazmir
D.Eveland
M.Cain
C.Kershaw
J.Lannan
J.Sánchez
Arroyo
Ol.Pérez
A.Miller
C.Kershaw
CowabugnaDude
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rule Changes AFTER season starts

Postby Matthias » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:03 am

Generally, yes. But limiting the number of moves if the league as a whole decides streaming is a problem is legit. The reason you don't change rules after the fact is that people drafted based upon certain ideas. And I'm guessing you didn't draft upon based upon the idea of streaming so you're not that damaged.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Whisp » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:50 am

shouldn't be any changes unless every single person wants the change
C-MMontero/Iannetta 1B-Hosmer 2B-Kendrick 3B-MiCabrera/Rolen SS-Rollins
CI-IDavis MI-RRoberts OF-Bruce/Crisp/Hunter/Cain/Rios
SP-Sabathia/ClLee/Wainwright/Pineda/Hellickson/JSantana
RP-Putz/Santiago/Rodney/Lidge/Clippard
Whisp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MadMobius » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:08 am

streaming pitchers is one of those borderline, dirty tactics type things that make people upset. Honestly, if you think you can live by that method, I say good luck and can't wait to play you head to head. If there is an overabundance of pitching categories that can be won by exploiting the streaming tactic, then perhaps they should have considered a better set up (like era, whip, baa, k/9).

However, if I fear a situation might be exploited, I tell owners up front before the league even starts that if you "think" you have found a loophole and don't bring it to my attention so the league can address it, then I will close it up. I let the guys know ahead of time that I won't tolerate any crap that will "screw up" the league.

I say you try to get him to open up the cap and that you will drop the crazy add/drop thing. That can't possibly be helping you win can it? 3 weeks in with 40+ moves.... that's a bit excessive. But 20 moves is way to little for a complete season...
---Lincecum---------Gallardo------Santana-----------Peavy---

Props to "The_Show" for my sig...
MadMobius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:14 am

Whisp wrote:shouldn't be any changes unless every single person wants the change

Wrong.

As MadMobious pointed out, just because it didn't occur to someone to specifically disallow, doesn't mean that it's permitted.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby noseeum » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:49 am

Matthias wrote:
Whisp wrote:shouldn't be any changes unless every single person wants the change

Wrong.

As MadMobious pointed out, just because it didn't occur to someone to specifically disallow, doesn't mean that it's permitted.

I don't know about this Matthias. If an owner approaches the draft saying, "This is a daily league with unlimited transactions and a lot of counting pitching categories. I'm not going to bother drafting top starting pitchers because I can always find SPs on the wire," then all of a sudden two weeks into the league the commish says, "no way, you can't do that," I think the owner has a legitimate beef.

I don't think it's fair to retroactively kill a strategy post draft. This guy is screwed if he has no good pitchers and is unable to stream. If it was raised as an issue before the draft then sure. But if it was never discussed, the commish is overstepping his bounds by changing the settings.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:42 am

I don't think it's fair to retroactively kill a strategy post draft. This guy is screwed if he has no good pitchers and is unable to stream. If it was raised as an issue before the draft then sure. But if it was never discussed, the commish is overstepping his bounds by changing the settings.

I agree. Lets put it this way. I'm in a 5x5 head to head league that requires a certain numbers of pitchers, but doesnt specify starters or relievers. I opted to draft a lineup with a handful of lower tier closers and premier middle relievers to capture three categories each week (Saves, ERA, WHIP). If the commish suddenly requires a certain number of the pitching slots be starters I would be boned, and have a legit complaint about how the league was run.

That said, streaming is bullshit. Im also in a weekly roster points league (where high ERA/WHIP doesnt hurt). We have a guy who immediately after submitting his roster every monday morning cuts most of his starters and grabs the 2 start free agents for the following week. Its aggravating as hell and violates the spirit of the league
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:34 am

noseeum wrote:I don't know about this Matthias. If an owner approaches the draft saying, "This is a daily league with unlimited transactions and a lot of counting pitching categories. I'm not going to bother drafting top starting pitchers because I can always find SPs on the wire," then all of a sudden two weeks into the league the commish says, "no way, you can't do that," I think the owner has a legitimate beef.

That's kind of what I said in my first post in the thread. But I was just disputing Whisp's general statement that any change after the season starts is only allowable if everyone agrees which isn't right. There can be something that is obviously wrong and it's wrong whether or not the league thought to create a rule about it before the season started.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MadMobius » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:52 am

Matthias wrote:
noseeum wrote:I don't know about this Matthias. If an owner approaches the draft saying, "This is a daily league with unlimited transactions and a lot of counting pitching categories. I'm not going to bother drafting top starting pitchers because I can always find SPs on the wire," then all of a sudden two weeks into the league the commish says, "no way, you can't do that," I think the owner has a legitimate beef.

That's kind of what I said in my first post in the thread. But I was just disputing Whisp's general statement that any change after the season starts is only allowable if everyone agrees which isn't right. There can be something that is obviously wrong and it's wrong whether or not the league thought to create a rule about it before the season started.

And that's exactly why I told the owners in the league "IF you think you see a loophole of any kind and try to use that as a 'strategy' before bringing it to my attention, then chances are, you will be cut off". Now with that said, I did write some pretty extensive rules for my keeper league last season and all the managers joked that they had never see a league with more 'written' rules just to play. It was our first year of a keeper league and I didn't want it getting jacked up by some squirrely business going on and then people crying or threatening to leave.... it was our smoothest season ever.

oh and I made the inning limit 45... therefore the streamers would have to hit a really large number and couldn't compete with the teams that went 4 or 5 aces deep...
---Lincecum---------Gallardo------Santana-----------Peavy---

Props to "The_Show" for my sig...
MadMobius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Oatsdad » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:55 am

I think it's BS to make a change like this, especially because it targets one or two specific players. Is streaming a cheap tactic? Maybe yes, maybe no, but if you don't make it illegal BEFORE the season starts - and put rules in effect to prevent it - then tough luck. Putting a cap on moves after the fact is a cry-baby move, IMO...
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner