Kershaw and Price Call up - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Kershaw and Price Call up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Kershaw and Price Call up

Postby Montana168 » Mon May 05, 2008 9:17 am

anyone think kershaw will be called up at all this month?? i have a dynasty league draft for 2 minor league players at the end of the month and i own the 4th pick..highly doubt i will get kershaw, but if he comes up this month i can grab him because we have no waivers. anyone think he will be up in mid-may to be the 5th starter or is there no way he's up unless there is an injury.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MadMobius » Tue May 06, 2008 12:36 am

I'm not so sure that Price will be up at all this season esp since he's already been hurt and hasn't even gotten going yet... besides, Tampa Bay has so many freakin pithers in the minors as well as at the big league level.

Kazmir, Shields, Garza, Jackson, Sonnanstine in the rotation... Howell and Hammell both in the pen who have started before... Then they have Niemann, McGee and Wade Davis who have all pitched at AA or better... oh and Hellickson and Rollins who are pitching quite well also... forget about Price for this season...

Kershaw on the other hand... The Dodgers are flip flopping with the #5 starter position already since neither Kuo or Loaiza seem to care for the spot... Kershaw can reasonably rack up about 150 ip this season (120 last year)... he's at 30+ right now so if they could let him go until the end of the month, that would be ideal... or bring him up and let him work out of the pen to keep the innings down (while he adjusts to mlb hitters) then move him into the rotation... yeah, that sounds like a plan...
---Lincecum---------Gallardo------Santana-----------Peavy---

Props to "The_Show" for my sig...
MadMobius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Wrangor » Thu May 08, 2008 10:30 am

Dodgers just moved Kershaw to the pen in the minor leagues. I think this is significant to him being called up. They need to limit his innings this year anyway, and moving him to the pen for atleast half the year would do that. He pitched one inning of relief last night and gave up no runs, hits, or walks...struck out one. I will make the prediction that we see Kershaw by the end of the month.

Keep an eye on those Waiver Wires...I have the #1 position, and I have been waiting for Kershaw.
Wrangor
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ataraxia » Thu May 08, 2008 2:10 pm

They only moved Kershaw up to the pen because of their rules specifically stating that they need to limit Kershaw to 25IP per month--it doesn't necessarily reflect that they're grooming him to be called up, although the possibility is still there. I'm just saying don't read too much into the move to the bullpen.
Absolute thanks to soty for the sig.
ataraxia
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Montana168 » Fri May 09, 2008 8:57 am

check this out....http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/ ... 3239.story

wow if kershaw comes up may 17...i would go insaaaaane. ;-D
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby J35J » Fri May 09, 2008 2:21 pm

Kershaw is a stud but I'm not so sure he will have awesome success this year if called up. He may throw in a couple of Jon Sanchez type of outings because he can get the strike out but I'm not so sure he has fully gotten his control straightened out just yet and will likely have a decent amount of struggles. Obviously this means nothing in keeper/dynasty leagues but I wouldn't expect a whole lot this year for redraft leagues. By all means go out and get him if you can in any league formate...I know I will try...just don't be too suprised if doesn't go back down at some point after he gets the call up because of inconsistancies.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby Wrangor » Fri May 09, 2008 7:04 pm

I think Kershaw is up before the end of the month. I am very anxious to get him on my keeper league team....
Wrangor
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MadMobius » Fri May 09, 2008 7:48 pm

Even if Kershaw is up before the end of the month, people should temper their expectations for the simple fact that he will probably max at about 150 ip (160 max). Most organizations won't bump a pitcher up by more than roughly 30 innings in a single season (esp one so young). He had 120 ip last season, given their rule of 25 ip per month over a 6 month season, that's 150. Given all of that, people should be hoping that he isn't up this month and esp not in the rotation this early. Even if he pitches great, he will end up being shut down sometime before the end of the season... looks like he could get a call in the next couple of weeks but I wouldn't expect him to be saving people's seasons or being around at the end...
---Lincecum---------Gallardo------Santana-----------Peavy---

Props to "The_Show" for my sig...
MadMobius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stevethumb » Fri May 09, 2008 10:32 pm

keep in mind that kershaw is NOT on the dodgers 40 man roster..in order to bring him up they will have to make a trade or put someone on waivers..those 40 spots are valuable so i wouldnt look for kershaw anytime soon
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby siQ_innovation » Sat May 10, 2008 2:52 am

stevethumb wrote:keep in mind that kershaw is NOT on the dodgers 40 man roster..in order to bring him up they will have to make a trade or put someone on waivers..those 40 spots are valuable so i wouldnt look for kershaw anytime soon

Yeah, agreed. But then again, Kershaw is quite valuable too isn't he? B-)

Props to RyanK for the Sig.
siQ_innovation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball