The New & Improved Richie Weeks Watch - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The New & Improved Richie Weeks Watch

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The New & Improved Richie Weeks Watch

Postby Snacks » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:24 pm

I say he's sent down to the minors by June 1st. Granted he's a much better "Real life" baseball player than a fantasy one at this point - especially if you're in leagues with more offensive stat categories than just 5 x 5. I understand that he scores runs, walks and steals - and has 3 homers, but Yost has Kendall batting 9th just so the top of the lineup can get some RBI's and Weeks has 4! He is possibly the worst batter with men on base that I've seen in recent history - seriously, and I don't think I'm overstating that. He puts way too much pressure on himself and either K's or pop outs. He's hitting .188 and getting worse & he's hitting .133 with runners in scoring positions - also, with men on and 2 out he's batting .071. Clutch? Me thinks not.

I understand that in college he was a great hitter, but this is the pro's, they've got change ups and sliders and curveballs.... Most of my leagues count all or some combination of K's, Hits, Singles, 2B's, Average, TB's, OBP & SLG... and he's murderous. Heck, he's being out slugged by Carlos Gomez! I'd rather pick up Aybar or Matsui and at least not get killed in certain categories... Hell, I'd rather leave the 2B position empty at this point.

Plus the Brewers have already called up Hernan Iribarren and if memory serves me correct they have another young 2nd baseman in the minors that they really like. I think it's time to cut bait and run.

I'm sure others think he'll turn it around because of his late surge last year - but is it worth sitting him on your bench until August? I think I can do better. I'd love to hear what you think - I'm just begging for someone to talk me out of dropping him.

Thanks, as always,
Snacks
Snacks
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The New & Improved Richie Weeks Watch

Postby dragoon » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:27 pm

I definitely wouldn't drop him. But if you really don't want him, I'm sure someone will take him off of your hands. He is batting under the mendoza line but he is a good source of speed and power and somebody will still think highly of him.
dragoon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rcarena » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:32 pm

I have him in a daily points league, and I just sub him in when the Brewers face lefties...

I think they're scheduled to face 4 this week, and they crush them, so the whole team may get a nice bump...
Points, 14 player keeper
C - Navarro/Flores 1B - Helton/Butler 2B Roberts/Ramirez/Weeks 3B Encarnacion/Gordon SS Tulowitski/Jeter OF Ellsbury/Guerrero/McLouth Damon/CB Young SP Lincecum/Lackey/Shields/Sheets/Danks/R. Johnson Parra/Gallardo RP Nathan/Saito
rcarena
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Snacks » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:47 pm

rcarena wrote:I have him in a daily points league, and I just sub him in when the Brewers face lefties...

I think they're scheduled to face 4 this week, and they crush them, so the whole team may get a nice bump...

Good Call. He's actually hitting .294 versus lefties, I don't know how I missed that. Granted he's only got 17 AB's vs Lefties as Opposed to 47 vs Righties so I've just got to see if I can afford the bench slot. I've got him in... gulp - 3 out of my 4 leagues. In at least one I've definitely got room.

As for trading him, I'll try, but I've just got the sneaking feeling that no one's gonna want him - but you're right, it's always worth the effort.

Thanks.
Snacks
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Carey Saders » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:57 pm

He just might get sent to minors. He looks lost at the plate right now. I thought for sure with his wrist healed, his contact rate would improve. He had a few major opportunities today and looked like he wanted to walk rather than be forced to swing. Just looks scared to me.
Thanks to Super Manny for the sig!
Carey Saders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Field » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:27 pm

Carey Saders wrote:He just might get sent to minors.

Is this just speculation or has their been rumblings from the organization that he might be sent down? It doesn't seem like they have any better options...

Weeks is a rather crucial player in on my my main leagues. Even if he doesn't hit for a decent average he still fills up the stat sheet in other areas.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby rookies and cream » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:07 pm

I have not seen many of Weeks' AB's this year. He actually looked pretty decent against the Mets.

I think it's important to mention the following (small sample size alert!):

BABIP = .191 (over .100 points below career average)
K% = 22% (bad but still below career average)
LD% = 8% (career about 19%)

Bottom line = Weeks is slumping right now and appears to be getting a bit unlucky. He'll be fine. I still expect 20 HR's and 30 SB's from him. In fact, up until yesterday, he was on pace for 30/30.

My projection:

.250 AVG, .365 OBP, 24 HR's, 115 Runs, 55 RBI's, 32 SB's
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby Ender » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:44 pm

I'd hold off until after this homestand. The brewers have played most of their games on the road against mostly right handed pitchers, most games have been in bad weather and a large percentage have been against the top 10 most friendly strike zone umpires in the game according to the hardballtimes. There is a reason that the entire offense has struggled.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby MEK4178 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:17 am

someone just dropped him in my league....wonder if he's an upgrade over uggla...
MEK4178
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Carey Saders » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:57 am

Field wrote:
Carey Saders wrote:He just might get sent to minors.

Is this just speculation or has their been rumblings from the organization that he might be sent down? It doesn't seem like they have any better options...

Weeks is a rather crucial player in on my my main leagues. Even if he doesn't hit for a decent average he still fills up the stat sheet in other areas.

Just speculation. Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks to Super Manny for the sig!
Carey Saders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers