gagne replacement? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

gagne replacement?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: gagne replacement?

Postby miller24x » Mon May 05, 2008 6:22 pm

I dropped him last night. Good riddance!
miller24x
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dssguy99 » Mon May 05, 2008 6:36 pm

ha_jai wrote:Perhaps I am a half glass full kind of guy, but I don't think Gagne is as bad as everyone is making him out to be. Prior to last night blowup, he went a short stretch where he didn't give up any runs (5 appearances). Of his 16 appearances, he gave up more than 2 runs in 3 of them and only 1 run in 2 of those 5 games. Unfortunately, when he does blow up, he does it spectacularly. I think he has good value this year as I am sure most of us who did draft him got him pretty low. Besides, a lot of closers are struggling out of the gate this year. I can't remember a time when so many closers has such high ERA. My advice to the Gagne owners? Stash him on the bench if you can, but I am sticking by him and starting him every week.

Dude...where were you last year? This is nothing new!
dssguy99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ha_jai » Mon May 05, 2008 7:03 pm

I am just saying that of the 16 appearances, only 5 of them in which he gave up runs. Yesterday was one of those games. Last year was different, as some other poster in this thread mentioned, he was a decent option while he was a closer in Texas, then only blew up when he became the setup guy in Boston. Regardless, I still don't think anyone should drop him as he still has some value, besides I highly doubt you can find ANY closers on waivers unless you are in a shallow league. !+)
ha_jai
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Mon May 05, 2008 8:13 pm

ha_jai wrote: Stash him on the bench if you can, but I am sticking by him and starting him every week.

You're either very brave or very stupid my friend....I hope its the former and not the latter. Good luck....
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby hwiggen » Mon May 05, 2008 10:14 pm

I wanted nothing to do with the guy this year but if you're in a deep league, a save is a save.
ESPN is reporting that the Brewer's manager was quoted today as saying Gagne will remain his closer; and he's stupid enough to mean it.
hwiggen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PavanoAllstars » Tue May 06, 2008 1:18 am

same situation with the Indians... some of these managers have a blind faith it seems with this crap closers, and i'd say gagne's much better than Borowski... yet wedge insists Borowski's going to come straight back into the role!!!!!!!!!

And the Brewers also have 10 million reasons not to move Gagne out... He'll have to be injured to get demoted
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby siQ_innovation » Tue May 06, 2008 2:11 am

PavanoAllstars wrote:same situation with the Indians... some of these managers have a blind faith it seems with this crap closers, and i'd say gagne's much better than Borowski... yet wedge insists Borowski's going to come straight back into the role!!!!!!!!!

And the Brewers also have 10 million reasons not to move Gagne out... He'll have to be injured to get demoted

Well then, I hope he gets injured. B-)

Props to RyanK for the Sig.
siQ_innovation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Tue May 06, 2008 9:04 am

hwiggen wrote:I wanted nothing to do with the guy this year but if you're in a deep league, a save is a save.

A save is a save, sure, but when it comes down to destroying your ERA and WHIP, I'll look elsewhere...
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby ha_jai » Tue May 06, 2008 7:07 pm

Even if Gagne ends up with a 5.00 ERA and a high WHIP, those stats wouldn't impact a roto league too much when you consider how many innings will be thrown by your other pitchers. H2H is a different story however ...
ha_jai
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Spectrum » Sat May 10, 2008 6:59 pm

just thought i'd get this thread primed for the night... 3 Hits, a walk, 2 earned, no K's...
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates