Outfield not agreeing with Braun - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Outfield not agreeing with Braun

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Outfield not agreeing with Braun

Postby chipper » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:09 pm

I know I said this before and got ripped for it, but I still don't think I would have messed with Braun and put him into the outfield. He is struggling big time right now, and who knows if it's due to not playing the same position he's been at his whole life.

Just don't think I would have messed with a good thing is all. :-o
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Outfield not agreeing with Braun

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:18 pm

Well, where would you have played? His defensive play at 3B last year ate away 20-30% of his offensive value. You can't move him to first. There's no DH.

I think it's way too early to conclude that his offense is suffering from the position switch.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby RAmst23 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:23 pm

Yes, I know this was discussed before Chipper, it's just the problem is I don't think the Brewers had a choice. Braun wasn't just bad at 3B, he was historically bad. He had a .895 Fielding % and 26 Errors (!) in 112 games. The Brewers infield defense is bad now, but with Braun they destroyed their chances of competing in that division.

Even assuming that the switch to the OF hurts Braun's offense (A statement I don't agree with it), the switch HAS to be made.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby chipper » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:26 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:I think it's way too early to conclude that his offense is suffering from the position switch.

Well I didn't say I concluded that it was because of the position switch.
I said....
chipper wrote:Just don't think I would have messed with a good thing is all. :-o

Who knows, maybe he bounces back just fine, but it's something to keep an eye on at least.
Also, a guy can improve in the field. It was his first season in the bigs. Bill Hall was thought to be a bit of a defensive liability his first couple season's too. Just sayin.

I understand that it’s optimal to have him out there, that said, if he struggles the entire first half or something, I bet they make a move and check it out.
You know baseball players, sometimes the littlest things can mess with their heads. Moving positions is a major thing. I’m sure he can handle it, but as I’ve said, if he goes through a prolonged period of struggling, I bet they explore some options....
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Third Day » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:53 pm

chipper wrote:I know I said this before and got ripped for it, but I still don't think I would have messed with Braun and put him into the outfield. He is struggling big time right now, and who knows if it's due to not playing the same position he's been at his whole life.

Just don't think I would have messed with a good thing is all. :-o

He was a SS at Miami and only played 3B for 2 years. He has told Milwaukee reporters that he didn't really care for 3B but could have been a good one if given time.
He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 276)

Postby J35J » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:11 pm

Part of it too is people thought he would continue on and just fall in line with Pujols......that just wasn't going to happen,IMHO, so everyones expectations were too high to start with.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby brock middlebrook » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:30 pm

You'll all be gald to know that with the Yankees day off tomorrow, I am benching ARod and playing Braun at 3B for the first time all year.

This may be the elixir that breaks the slump.
brock middlebrook
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DaShiz23 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:41 pm

J35J wrote:Part of it too is people thought he would continue on and just fall in line with Pujols......that just wasn't going to happen,IMHO, so everyones expectations were too high to start with.

;-D ;-D ;-D As I stated before, and got lambasted for saying.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby hwiggen » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:12 pm

It's fair to say that no glove agrees with Braun, unless it's a batting glove. The guy is a born DH. That's what the Brewers get for changing leagues just so they can get the extra attendence when the Cubs are in Milwaulkee.
hwiggen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:08 pm

J35J wrote:Part of it too is people thought he would continue on and just fall in line with Pujols......that just wasn't going to happen,IMHO, so everyones expectations were too high to start with.

coming from a guy who projected a line of

0.292 32 110 102 15

i dont think you thought toooo lowly of him :-D

i still think he'll come around and be just fine. maybe not .330 and 45 hr like some expected but like j had, .290-.295 with 30 hr should be easily in reach still...its still early.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers