What's wrong with Gorzelanny? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's wrong with Gorzelanny?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's wrong with Gorzelanny?

Postby Amazing Oopah » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:52 pm

does anybody have any insight into Gorzelanny's struggles this season so far? I took him in a few leagues hoping he could turn into a late round gem but he has underperformed expectations, to put it charitably and I'm really pondering whether to cut him loose.

He has two horrible outings against the Cubs so maybe he just sucks against them, but the K/BB ratio in all his games is worrisome and appears to be regressing from last season. is it an injury, mechanics, psychological, or something else?

would appreciate any input on this issue.
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What's wrong with Gorzelanny?

Postby kab21 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:06 pm

At least he is the only pitcher that is killing me in my roto league. But I don't know what to make of it other than hoping that it is still early season small sample size. Any insight would be appreciated.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 168)

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:47 pm

i've cut him already. over his last 18 starts going back to last year, his ERA is close to 6.00 with 1.70 WHIP. thats a pretty big sample size. there might be something physically wrong but regardless he has very little upside
FantasyFreak
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby still-hate-francisco-cabrera » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:00 pm

Being a pirate fan, I read a good deal of bucco's coverage, and nobody has said anything that I know of regarding an injury. He just isn't pitching well right now.

If I remember, he tended to have streaks where he pitched really well last year, and then he would cool off. There are probably more reliable pitchers to have on your roster right now. Maybe keep an eye on him and pick him back up if he starts to get hot, but he's doesn't need to have a permanent spot on your roster.
still-hate-francisco-cabrera
College Coach
College Coach

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby kab21 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:04 pm

still-hate-francisco-cabrera wrote:Being a pirate fan, I read a good deal of bucco's coverage, and nobody has said anything that I know of regarding an injury. He just isn't pitching well right now.

If I remember, he tended to have streaks where he pitched really well last year, and then he would cool off. There are probably more reliable pitchers to have on your roster right now. Maybe keep an eye on him and pick him back up if he starts to get hot, but he's doesn't need to have a permanent spot on your roster.

I would assume that you're talking about 12 team leagues instead of 20 team or NL only leagues. The bottom portion of my pitching staff (20 team league) is Germano, Gorzellany, Blackburn and Niemann. Almost every SP is taken and most of the top prospects.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 168)

Postby still-hate-francisco-cabrera » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:12 pm

kab21 wrote:I would assume that you're talking about 12 team leagues instead of 20 team or NL only leagues. The bottom portion of my pitching staff (20 team league) is Germano, Gorzellany, Blackburn and Niemann. Almost every SP is taken and most of the top prospects.

Correct, in your normal sized leagues (10-12 teams) with full MLB rosters, you should be able to find someone better.
still-hate-francisco-cabrera
College Coach
College Coach

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Half Massed » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:38 pm

I've been hearing a lot of pitcher abuse talk from sites like BP. According to them, Gorzelanny was abused pretty much every outing towards the end of last year in search of getting that 15th win, and it possibly had permanent negative effects on his arm.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby neoforce » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:06 pm

I wonder if the after effects of throwing too many innings the year before? Check out Tom Verducci's collumn from early february at
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/w ... YAE/1.html

The unofficial industry standard is that no young pitcher should throw more than 30 more innings than he did the previous season. It's a general rule of thumb, and one I've been tracking for about a decade. When teams violate the incremental safeguard, it's amazing how often they pay for it.

He has Ian Kennedy there as #1, but later edited his inning totals because he had missed innings Kennedy pitched outside of the minor leagues. But there at # 4:

Tom Gorzelanny, Pirates, 25 (+40 1/3)

I cringe when I see pitchers with non-contenders show up on this list. The Royals were guilty for years of pushing young pitchers without the excuse of a pennant race (Chris George, Jose Rosado, Runelvys Hernandez, etc.). Gorzelanny was 1-3 with a 5.77 ERA in September while throwing 639 pitches, his second-highest monthly total (by only five pitches) of the season. While Gorzelanny was passing his career high in innings, the Pirates let him throw 105, 118, 107, 107 and 117 pitches in meaningless consecutive September starts. Why?

No clue if this is the real "reason" for Gorz's struggles, but it might be a factor.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby J35J » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:54 pm

Well, he doesn't exactly have that good of stuff....league is probably just catching up to him.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 393)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:05 pm

J35J wrote:Well, he doesn't exactly have that good of stuff....league is probably just catching up to him.

yeah, i dont think you realistically could have expected much from him.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers