Yahoo Points league-Saves vs. wins? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo Points league-Saves vs. wins?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo Points league-Saves vs. wins?

Postby Dice » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:00 pm

I'm in a Yahoo Points league where they're making a save equal value to a win (5 pts each). This seems very excessive to me. How are other points leagues valued? I'd like to compare.

Back when were were in Sandbox this wasn't an issue because you got 140 bullpen appearances. In Yahoo the limit is innings pitched, which changes everything. When you analyze statistics based on a points per inning basis, a top closer will earn about twice as many points per inning as a top starter. I'm pretty sure that a Gagne-Dotel-Foulke bullpen with 5 fourth and fifth starters will outpoint a rotation of all top 30 starters with no closers.

At least that's what I'm hoping. I've set my autodraft so that I expect three top closers in the first five rounds. And are there any closers with starter eligibility? That would be gravy.
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby reelbiggecko » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:04 pm

Closers with starter eligibility: Chacon and Graves.
reelbiggecko
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dice » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:40 pm

Thanks for the info.

On the down side, I went to up Chacon a bit in my rankings, the Yahoo ate my pre-rankings list. I HATE YAHOO! :-[
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Jackie Treehorn » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:04 pm

our league values them equally as well, but we're looking into lowering the value of saves a bit for next year. I've found if you score it this way, it helps to have a higher IP limit, then you have to have solid pitching to go along with closers, otherwise you can't reach the limit. It also helps if it is a deeper league, then the disparity between starters is more pronounced as teams have to utilize lesser pitchers to get to that maximum innings total.
"How's the smut business, Jackie?"
Jackie Treehorn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Geaux » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:20 pm

We use 50 for wins, -25 for losses, 40 for saves and -10 for save opps. We've adapted our scoring system of old smallworld point systems, with our own changes along the way to even out all tiers of hitters, starters and closers.

We used to value wins and saves the same, but closers were the best players in baseball, and like kickers in football, we refused to believe they were worth that distinction.
Geaux

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Return to Baseball Leftovers