Saltalamacchia - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Saltalamacchia

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Saltalamacchia

Postby ThatDude » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:40 am

Is he going to be called up anytime soon? He's not exactly having problems in the minors, Laird is hardly raking, and the team certainly isn't going anywhere this year.

I'd like to activate Gallardo from the DL, but there's nobody I feel comfortable cutting to do it. Salty the the easiest option simply because he's in the minors, but this is a fairly deep keeper league (10 keepers), and I really think other teams would snatch him up and stash on their bench, much like I'm doing now.
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Saltalamacchia

Postby mbuser » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:41 pm

i dont think it'd be wise to cut him in a 10-player keeper league. perhaps a ranger fan can comment, but the team isn't heavily invested in ben broussard and if he doesnt pick it up, perhaps salty coudl get the call to play 1B?
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby rentz » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:25 pm

mbuser wrote:i dont think it'd be wise to cut him in a 10-player keeper league. perhaps a ranger fan can comment, but the team isn't heavily invested in ben broussard and if he doesnt pick it up, perhaps salty coudl get the call to play 1B?

the team has said salty is a catcher, and he was sent to aaa to catch daily and work on defense. the future 1b of the rangers is chris davis who is in aa right now and likely will be given a shot at 1b next spring.

i dont see salty catching in the bigs until laird is traded or salty gets traded.... then again it's the rangers so who knows what they might actually do
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dragoon » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:24 pm

Why would they trade him? They traded Tex for him last year so he could be their future star.
dragoon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rentz » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:28 pm

dragoon wrote:Why would they trade him? They traded Tex for him last year so he could be their future star.

not saying they will, but just because a team gets a prospect in a trade doesnt mean they keep him. rumors floated that other teams were willing to trade pitching for him.

my guess is laird gets traded by the all star break and salty is called up.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Doc19 » Tue May 13, 2008 1:55 pm

Am I way to impatient to be concerned that Salty has started hitting yet? The other day he had 5 stolen bases against him by the speed demon Oakland Athletics, which makes me wonder if maybe they will be less likely to give him additional starts behind the plate over Laird. I can take a 50-50 split if he will be productive, but when there are guys like Navarro on the WW it gets tough to ride out the slow start. Anyone else concerned?
Doc19
College Coach
College Coach

Postby soccerballer002 » Tue May 13, 2008 2:07 pm

All I know is Salty has been sitting comfortably in my leagues FA pool since he got demoted...
soccerballer002
College Coach
College Coach

Postby WyldStallyn » Tue May 13, 2008 2:11 pm

i dropped him for iannetta last week. looks like i made a good move, at least for now
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby DSheppard » Tue May 13, 2008 3:05 pm

Noone should have him right now in a vanilla league, he hasnt shown enough yet to take a roster spot while struggling and getting 50% or less playing time.

in a keeper league... theres no way laird is there last year and hes definitely got the potential that people were hoping for as a starter this year.. i wouldnt drop him in a keeper.

aside from the 2 for 10 caught stealing, he has looked pretty good behind the plate as far as calling games and receiving pitches and such, I dont think a bad 30 at bats is going to get him sent down again its just not going to in him the job in the immediate future. probably have to wait until someone finally trades for laird.

and yeah i know this is an old topic, heh.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers