Marty Brennaman Rips Cubs Fans to Pieces - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Marty Brennaman Rips Cubs Fans to Pieces

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Marty Brennaman Rips Cubs Fans to Pieces

Postby DaShiz23 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:05 pm

daveblotto wrote:I am 39 years old and a 3rd Generation Die Hard Cub Fan. I grew up going to games with my father in the bleachers. Back when, you could only buy the tickets that day and you waited in line to do so. Yes, even then the bleacher bums were rowdy and brutal ( it was the first place I remember smelling someone smoking a joint), however, it has now reached way beyond the point of obnoxious. First of all, The Cubs having Night games is a big part of the problem. I understand that they are neccesarry and part of baseball for years, but , having those fans drink hours before hand , during the game, and then after is a recipe for disaster. Keep in mind that in the bleachers it's general admission still. you have to get there early to reserve your seat. Typically you need to be there 1 1/2 to 2 hours prior to the game to get a good spot , especially a night game. That being said, people are already Ripped before the 1st pitch is even thrown. The Part I take acception to is that this is "TYPICAL" Cubs fans. Many of my good friends and I care very much about the outcome, the players, etc. Yes, Wrigley is a good time and is for sure the worlds largest outdoor beer garden. If you were to move the Cubs to a different park, you probably would weed out some of that element. I am just tired of being lumped in with the stupid, drunken, curved hat wearing Frat boys who think it's funny to throw garbage, baseballs or anything on to the field. I am embarrased when I'm at a game and I see it or if I see that on TV. That being said, I would say that's maybe 5-10% of the knuckle heads that show up there to drink and be seen. The rest of us live and Die with this team. I think Marty Is a GREAT Broadcaster. Love listening to him when I pick up WLW at night here. Thom also did a GREAT job here, and now back with the Reds. They're as good as it gets. I have no problem with Marty saying what he felt about that particular act, but for him to go on saying that at the end of the day they'll find a way to screw it up because they're the Cubs, was uncalled for. END RANT! thanks

Great Post!
As a Notre Dame Fan as well, I am used to this sort of talk.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ukjohn » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:23 pm

Saying they will screw it up is uncalled for? please
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby hwiggen » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:29 pm

Just want to add that there are many instances of obnoxious behavior by Cubs fans besides what happened this weekend. The Bartman incident is one and there are at least a couple of times that a fan ran onto the field to attack a HOME team pitcher.
The Cubs have plenty of great fans but due to the combination of WGN, Harry Carey and Wrigley Field, they probably have the most casual fans in baseball and that's where the problems start.

One word for the Cardinal fan who hates Zambrano and all he represents: look, man, I hate the Cubs as much as anyone but unless you think Joaquin Andujar was a classless jerk you have no room to criticize Zambrano. I'd love it if sports returned to the times when players didn't show each other up but that's not going to happen. Zammy is the one guy on the Cubs that I like--he wants to win. He's a competitor much like Andujar. I didn't like it when Andujar used to 'shoot' at batters he just struck out but I liked his passion for the game, just like Zambrano's.
hwiggen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ActionHero » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:37 am

ESPN Radio mentioned that Brenneman might have ulterior motives in his attack on the Cubs: he feels that his son got screwed over by Cubs management regarding the WGN play-by-play gig. When Harry Caray stopped doing road games, Brennemen took his place. He was supposed to take over full-time when Harry finally retired, but when Chip (Harry's grandson) became available, Harry badgered the Cubs into hiring him, and shoved Thom out of the way.

Brenneman's an idiot anyway. Who the hell blames a goat? Does he really believe that Cubs fans think a goat is the reason they haven't won since 1908?
ActionHero
College Coach
College Coach

Postby daveblotto » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:21 am

ActionHero wrote:ESPN Radio mentioned that Brenneman might have ulterior motives in his attack on the Cubs: he feels that his son got screwed over by Cubs management regarding the WGN play-by-play gig. When Harry Caray stopped doing road games, Brennemen took his place. He was supposed to take over full-time when Harry finally retired, but when Chip (Harry's grandson) became available, Harry badgered the Cubs into hiring him, and shoved Thom out of the way.

Brenneman's an idiot anyway. Who the hell blames a goat? Does he really believe that Cubs fans think a goat is the reason they haven't won since 1908?

Your information about THOM is a bit incorrect. Thom did take over and the problem surfaced when He wanted to be able to do National games for FOX and the Cubs said that he couldn't do that. Then, when Chip got hired, they let him do the exact thing that they said Thom couldn't do. Also, on the whole Goat thing, no REAL fan believes in any stupid curse of any kind.
daveblotto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby TBallgame » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:03 am

Good week for him first he shoots down half the city of chicago, then he goes after his color man. But in reality, the bleachers do suck if you are going there to actually watch the game. The real Cub fans are not in the bleachers.

But, you can see the bitterness of Marty when he turns his anger for Cub fans to the anger for the Cubs organization saying the Cubs will not win the NL Central because they are the Cubs. Um, Marty the Cubs have won 2 of the last 5 NL Central crowns while the Reds haven't won the Central since what 1991.

Stay Classy Marty
"I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated." Al McGuire
TBallgame
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ryno23 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:30 am

AcidRock23 wrote:I saw a Cubs/ Reds game a couple of years ago where a ball rolled out to the ivy and some moron dumped a beer on Junior when he went back to get it. That sort of thing is really idiotic and I was embarrassed to be a Cubs fan at that point.

Some moron tried to dump one on McLouth Friday, but missed him.
Ryno23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby knapplc » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:24 pm

I’m gonna do my best to cry myself to sleep tonight knowing that Marty Brennaman thinks less of me because I’m a Cubs fan. ;-7
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby hwiggen » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:36 pm

What happened with Marty and his color man, and who is the color man?
hwiggen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers