Marty Brennaman Rips Cubs Fans to Pieces - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Marty Brennaman Rips Cubs Fans to Pieces

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Marty Brennaman Rips Cubs Fans to Pieces

Postby BuckeyeSal » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:18 pm

ThatDude wrote:
sportsaddict wrote:Sounds like only the Cubs fans are defending their fan base in this thread.

I wasn't defending Cubs fans. I was pointing out the levels of hypocrisy and unprofessionalism of Brennaman.

He criticizes Cubs fans for throwing baseballs onto a baseball field after a home run, yet cheers when Reds fans threw golf balls and marbles on the field.

Seems like little more to me than a sad man trying to get a now-sad franchise into the national spotlight again. To borrow a phrase from Marty himself, "it's the kind of thing that makes you root against them".

That sad man is in the baseball hall of fame and he's seen his team win multiple championships. From that clip, he pretty much hit the nail on the head.
BuckeyeSal
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ThatDude » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:22 pm

BuckeyeSal wrote:
ThatDude wrote:
sportsaddict wrote:Sounds like only the Cubs fans are defending their fan base in this thread.

I wasn't defending Cubs fans. I was pointing out the levels of hypocrisy and unprofessionalism of Brennaman.

He criticizes Cubs fans for throwing baseballs onto a baseball field after a home run, yet cheers when Reds fans threw golf balls and marbles on the field.

Seems like little more to me than a sad man trying to get a now-sad franchise into the national spotlight again. To borrow a phrase from Marty himself, "it's the kind of thing that makes you root against them".

That sad man is in the baseball hall of fame and he's seen his team win multiple championships. From that clip, he pretty much hit the nail on the head.

So his hypocrisy gets a pass because he's in the HOF?

Interesting logic.
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BuckeyeSal » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:09 pm

Seems like little more to me than a sad man trying to get a now-sad franchise into the national spotlight again. To borrow a phrase from Marty himself, "it's the kind of thing that makes you root against them".[/quote]

That sad man is in the baseball hall of fame and he's seen his team win multiple championships. From that clip, he pretty much hit the nail on the head.[/quote]

So his hypocrisy gets a pass because he's in the HOF?

Interesting logic.[/quote]

Where is the clip with his hypocrisy? I just haven't heard what you are refering to except for what one person on this thread said. Also, Marty has been going to every NL park for 31 years. If he says the Cub fans are the worst in the NL, I don't think that makes him a hypocrite. Ithink it makes him an expert. I'm a diamondbacks fan and live in Scottsdale, I will say that Cubs fans are the worst Cactus league fans from my own "expert" opinion.
BuckeyeSal
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Eagle Baseball » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:34 pm

Where is the clip with his hypocrisy?

there likely is not a clip as it happened in the 80's.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mrkrab2003 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:05 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:I saw a Cubs/ Reds game a couple of years ago where a ball rolled out to the ivy and some moron dumped a beer on Junior when he went back to get it. That sort of thing is really idiotic and I was embarrassed to be a Cubs fan at that point. A fan would not do that but a drunken idiot would. I will pound some brewskis at a game too but I am sure as hell not going to be tossing them onto the field at $8 a pop...

its really sad Junior is wasting what is rest of his career in cincy.
mrkrab2003
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Whisp » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:29 pm

worst fans in baseball:
#1. cardinals "fans"
#2. mets "fans"
C-MMontero/Iannetta 1B-Hosmer 2B-Kendrick 3B-MiCabrera/Rolen SS-Rollins
CI-IDavis MI-RRoberts OF-Bruce/Crisp/Hunter/Cain/Rios
SP-Sabathia/ClLee/Wainwright/Pineda/Hellickson/JSantana
RP-Putz/Santiago/Rodney/Lidge/Clippard
Whisp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby daveblotto » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:43 pm

I am 39 years old and a 3rd Generation Die Hard Cub Fan. I grew up going to games with my father in the bleachers. Back when, you could only buy the tickets that day and you waited in line to do so. Yes, even then the bleacher bums were rowdy and brutal ( it was the first place I remember smelling someone smoking a joint), however, it has now reached way beyond the point of obnoxious. First of all, The Cubs having Night games is a big part of the problem. I understand that they are neccesarry and part of baseball for years, but , having those fans drink hours before hand , during the game, and then after is a recipe for disaster. Keep in mind that in the bleachers it's general admission still. you have to get there early to reserve your seat. Typically you need to be there 1 1/2 to 2 hours prior to the game to get a good spot , especially a night game. That being said, people are already Ripped before the 1st pitch is even thrown. The Part I take acception to is that this is "TYPICAL" Cubs fans. Many of my good friends and I care very much about the outcome, the players, etc. Yes, Wrigley is a good time and is for sure the worlds largest outdoor beer garden. If you were to move the Cubs to a different park, you probably would weed out some of that element. I am just tired of being lumped in with the stupid, drunken, curved hat wearing Frat boys who think it's funny to throw garbage, baseballs or anything on to the field. I am embarrased when I'm at a game and I see it or if I see that on TV. That being said, I would say that's maybe 5-10% of the knuckle heads that show up there to drink and be seen. The rest of us live and Die with this team. I think Marty Is a GREAT Broadcaster. Love listening to him when I pick up WLW at night here. Thom also did a GREAT job here, and now back with the Reds. They're as good as it gets. I have no problem with Marty saying what he felt about that particular act, but for him to go on saying that at the end of the day they'll find a way to screw it up because they're the Cubs, was uncalled for. END RANT! thanks
daveblotto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:44 pm

Whisp wrote:worst fans in baseball:
#1. cardinals "fans"
#2. mets "fans"

Oooh, please do elaborate.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 817)

Postby Old_Style » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:46 pm

daveblotto wrote:I am 39 years old and a 3rd Generation Die Hard Cub Fan. I grew up going to games with my father in the bleachers. Back when, you could only buy the tickets that day and you waited in line to do so. Yes, even then the bleacher bums were rowdy and brutal ( it was the first place I remember smelling someone smoking a joint), however, it has now reached way beyond the point of obnoxious. First of all, The Cubs having Night games is a big part of the problem. I understand that they are neccesarry and part of baseball for years, but , having those fans drink hours before hand , during the game, and then after is a recipe for disaster. Keep in mind that in the bleachers it's general admission still. you have to get there early to reserve your seat. Typically you need to be there 1 1/2 to 2 hours prior to the game to get a good spot , especially a night game. That being said, people are already Ripped before the 1st pitch is even thrown. The Part I take acception to is that this is "TYPICAL" Cubs fans. Many of my good friends and I care very much about the outcome, the players, etc. Yes, Wrigley is a good time and is for sure the worlds largest outdoor beer garden. If you were to move the Cubs to a different park, you probably would weed out some of that element. I am just tired of being lumped in with the stupid, drunken, curved hat wearing Frat boys who think it's funny to throw garbage, baseballs or anything on to the field. I am embarrased when I'm at a game and I see it or if I see that on TV. That being said, I would say that's maybe 5-10% of the knuckle heads that show up there to drink and be seen. The rest of us live and Die with this team. I think Marty Is a GREAT Broadcaster. Love listening to him when I pick up WLW at night here. Thom also did a GREAT job here, and now back with the Reds. They're as good as it gets. I have no problem with Marty saying what he felt about that particular act, but for him to go on saying that at the end of the day they'll find a way to screw it up because they're the Cubs, was uncalled for. END RANT! thanks

Beautiful.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nolanwood » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:54 pm

daveblotto wrote:I am 39 years old and a 3rd Generation Die Hard Cub Fan. I grew up going to games with my father in the bleachers. Back when, you could only buy the tickets that day and you waited in line to do so. Yes, even then the bleacher bums were rowdy and brutal ( it was the first place I remember smelling someone smoking a joint), however, it has now reached way beyond the point of obnoxious. First of all, The Cubs having Night games is a big part of the problem. I understand that they are neccesarry and part of baseball for years, but , having those fans drink hours before hand , during the game, and then after is a recipe for disaster. Keep in mind that in the bleachers it's general admission still. you have to get there early to reserve your seat. Typically you need to be there 1 1/2 to 2 hours prior to the game to get a good spot , especially a night game. That being said, people are already Ripped before the 1st pitch is even thrown. The Part I take acception to is that this is "TYPICAL" Cubs fans. Many of my good friends and I care very much about the outcome, the players, etc. Yes, Wrigley is a good time and is for sure the worlds largest outdoor beer garden. If you were to move the Cubs to a different park, you probably would weed out some of that element. I am just tired of being lumped in with the stupid, drunken, curved hat wearing Frat boys who think it's funny to throw garbage, baseballs or anything on to the field. I am embarrased when I'm at a game and I see it or if I see that on TV. That being said, I would say that's maybe 5-10% of the knuckle heads that show up there to drink and be seen. The rest of us live and Die with this team. I think Marty Is a GREAT Broadcaster. Love listening to him when I pick up WLW at night here. Thom also did a GREAT job here, and now back with the Reds. They're as good as it gets. I have no problem with Marty saying what he felt about that particular act, but for him to go on saying that at the end of the day they'll find a way to screw it up because they're the Cubs, was uncalled for. END RANT! thanks

Well said!! Marty CAN be an ass, as was displayed in the pathetic confrontation with his color guy the other day - for those that missed it, I encourage you to attempt to track it down.
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers