Marty Brennaman Rips Cubs Fans to Pieces - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Marty Brennaman Rips Cubs Fans to Pieces

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Marty Brennaman Rips Cubs Fans to Pieces

Postby jswede » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:55 am

"rips Cubs fans to pieces"...?!?

umm, how so? That sounded like one man's jealous rant. A rant pent up over 30+yrs of going to Wrigley to see a sold out stadium having always a great time, and wondering why it can't be like that in Cincy, finally rationalizing by saying "we don't want it like this anyway".

The dead give-away is "typical Cubs fans" - like he's seen this happen many times before... lol.

I would hope he finds it "hard to root for the Cubs" - his employer is in the same division.

(disclaimer: live in Chicago, not a Cubs fan)
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:15 am

haha... awesome little rant there.

I have to agree that I find their fans to be obnoxious at games. I'm not a fan of sitting in the bleachers during Cards/Cubs games. They are loud, belligerent, and rude. Of course, I think that polarity is what drives the rivalry, so maybe I shouldn't complain.

!+)
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Old_Style » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:22 am

The two games I've attended at Wrigley, in the bleachers, were probably the two worst experiences I've had at a ballgame. I've been to five other ball parks and have never seen so much drinking and obnoxious behavior. I'm not giving Cubs fans a bad rap, because I don't consider most of the people in the bleachers, baseball fans. It seems like it's just one big party to them.
Those are the people I figured Brennaman was talking about when I first heard his comments.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mrkrab2003 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:31 am

Old_Style wrote:The two games I've attended at Wrigley, in the bleachers, were probably the two worst experiences I've had at a ballgame. I've been to five other ball parks and have never seen so much drinking and obnoxious behavior. I'm not giving Cubs fans a bad rap, because I don't consider most of the people in the bleachers, baseball fans. It seems like it's just one big party to them.
Those are the people I figured Brennaman was talking about when I first heard his comments.

the treatment of fukudome by some cub fans has been disappointing too.

the bleachers do need to be cleaned up asap. You are going to get that type of fan behavior when you sit a bunch of drunk 20-30 yrs olds in one section.
mrkrab2003
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RugbyD » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:05 pm

At the end of the day i think it just comes down to enforcement. Its tough for the crowd to regulate their own in many instances. As mentioned in a previous post, there can be a tense unease in the crowd surrounding a few miscreants. Sometimes someone can step up and tell people to stfu, but at the same time you don't always know what reaction you might get that could turn the situation worse and make it not worthwhile to have said anything in the first place.

The usher staff needs to be upgraded from the geriatric seating nazis to people more suited for crowd control. With a regularly packed house nobody is going to get away with sitting in seats they don't belong in.

Regarding the bleachers, the simple solution is cameras. It can't be hard to employ 5 people - 2 behind the screens and 3 crowd people - to identify people throwing something on the field and kick them out. Sure you can't catch everybody, but that's not the point. Show that you mean business and everyone else will fall in line. It's also easy to make an exception for the opponents' HR balls since that's a relatively harmless tradition.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby sportsaddict » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:29 pm

Sounds like only the Cubs fans are defending their fan base in this thread.

I've never been to a game at Wrigley, but I've been to Cards/Cubs games in St. Louis and it's usually pretty rowdy. I don't think anything of that though, because it's a rivalry and I'm all for the rowdiness between rival fans. I do know, though, that it was ridiculous for fans to pelt Bartman with objects and boo the crap out of him when he did something any other person in the world would do. And I know there's nothing I hate more than Carlos Zambrano, the angry and obnoxious fat boy that spit on Jim Edmonds a couple of years ago and goes insane every time he gets a strike out. Zambrano doesn't represent the fans but he does represent what sucks about the Cubs in general. :-D
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Whisp » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:00 pm

i hate jim edmonds. good for big z!
C-MMontero/Iannetta 1B-Hosmer 2B-Kendrick 3B-MiCabrera/Rolen SS-Rollins
CI-IDavis MI-RRoberts OF-Bruce/Crisp/Hunter/Cain/Rios
SP-Sabathia/ClLee/Wainwright/Pineda/Hellickson/JSantana
RP-Putz/Santiago/Rodney/Lidge/Clippard
Whisp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ThatDude » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:07 pm

sportsaddict wrote:Sounds like only the Cubs fans are defending their fan base in this thread.

I wasn't defending Cubs fans. I was pointing out the levels of hypocrisy and unprofessionalism of Brennaman.

He criticizes Cubs fans for throwing baseballs onto a baseball field after a home run, yet cheers when Reds fans threw golf balls and marbles on the field.

Seems like little more to me than a sad man trying to get a now-sad franchise into the national spotlight again. To borrow a phrase from Marty himself, "it's the kind of thing that makes you root against them".
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby still-hate-francisco-cabrera » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:13 pm

Whisp wrote:
i love cubs fans. they have a passion matched only by boston and yankees fans.

We must know different Cubs fans.
still-hate-francisco-cabrera
College Coach
College Coach

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:16 pm

I saw a Cubs/ Reds game a couple of years ago where a ball rolled out to the ivy and some moron dumped a beer on Junior when he went back to get it. That sort of thing is really idiotic and I was embarrassed to be a Cubs fan at that point. A fan would not do that but a drunken idiot would. I will pound some brewskis at a game too but I am sure as hell not going to be tossing them onto the field at $8 a pop...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers