Marty Brennaman Rips Cubs Fans to Pieces - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Marty Brennaman Rips Cubs Fans to Pieces

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Marty Brennaman Rips Cubs Fans to Pieces

Postby sportsaddict » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:37 am

"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Marty Brennaman Rips Cubs Fans to Pieces

Postby Whisp » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:30 am

what a whiner. at least cubs are good. they're poised to win a lot this year. the only contenders in the central are cubs and brewers. the rest of the teams suck. a nod to the pirates who are at least improving.

i love cubs fans. they have a passion matched only by boston and yankees fans.
C-MMontero/Iannetta 1B-Hosmer 2B-Kendrick 3B-MiCabrera/Rolen SS-Rollins
CI-IDavis MI-RRoberts OF-Bruce/Crisp/Hunter/Cain/Rios
SP-Sabathia/ClLee/Wainwright/Pineda/Hellickson/JSantana
RP-Putz/Santiago/Rodney/Lidge/Clippard
Whisp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby smoovethug » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:39 am

Nice tirade. :-D Being the Reds broadcaster though, I hope he does have some hatred for a division rival.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby hwiggen » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:53 am

Good for Marty Brennamen. In an age where broadcasters have become cheerleaders or so politically correct that they can't criticize anything it's refreshing to hear a hall of fame calliber guy tell it like it is.
Yes, I know there are some knowledgable Cubs fans out there but he's absolutely right about the majority of the people in the stands at Wrigley. It's a party, an event, a place to be seen more than a ball game and that is why you see fans acting like every game is game seven of the World Series; of course, if the Cubs lose, it's no sweat off their backs--the Cubs are the loveable losers-- they're supposed to lose.
hwiggen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ThatDude » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:27 am

Yeah, this is the same Marty Brennaman that said the Reds fans were justified in throwing golf balls, lighters, marbles, and all other kinds of crap on the field back in '88 when his beloved Pete Rose got into it with an umpire and was ejected.

Guess his opinion of right and wrong all depends on what color jersey the fans are wearing.
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:56 am

lol, freakin hilarious. Oh, and I agree. ;-D ;-D
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby 4Pack » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:04 am

hwiggen wrote:Good for Marty Brennamen. In an age where broadcasters have become cheerleaders or so politically correct that they can't criticize anything it's refreshing to hear a hall of fame calliber guy tell it like it is.
Yes, I know there are some knowledgable Cubs fans out there but he's absolutely right about the majority of the people in the stands at Wrigley. It's a party, an event, a place to be seen more than a ball game and that is why you see fans acting like every game is game seven of the World Series; of course, if the Cubs lose, it's no sweat off their backs--the Cubs are the loveable losers-- they're supposed to lose.

I have alway pretty much agreed with that sentiment. When the day comes that the Wrigley Field is no longer the home of the Cubs (and I hope that is a long time from now since I love the old stadiums)...I think you will see a major difference in the Cub fandom. How many thousands of people (from all parts of the country) a season make the trek to 1060 West Addison in Chicago just to see Wrigley field?

A big part of the Cub mystique is tied directly to Wrigley Field IMO. You could almost say the same thing about the Packers and Lambeau Field. I am a diehard Packer fan (since the early 70's)....but must admit that Lambeau Field and the Packers go hand in hand and one without the other would just not be the same. I mean...to this day..I still get goose bumps walking into Lambeau. I will always love the Packers...but part of the excitement of going to a game is the chance to once again sit in Lambeau Field.
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ryno23 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:12 am

If he wants to say that Cubs fans throwing 18 balls on to the field at one time is "typical" (really, how many times has that happened in the past at Wrigley), then I'll say, with good authority, that his holier-than-thou attitude on display during that clip is typical of University of North Carolina graduates. He sounds like a baseball version of Woody Durham.

And how about that stunning insight when discussing predictions that the Cubs will not win the division: "at the end of the day, they'll lose because they're the Chicago Cubs". Wonderful logic there, Marty.
Ryno23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ukjohn » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:11 am

hysterical ;-D

and he is just saying what most other people are thinking...you want to see them lose. they are just so annoying
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mrkrab2003 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:13 am

Lots of jealously in that clip. The only thing embarrassing is the competition the cubs have in the central this yr. :-)
Last edited by mrkrab2003 on Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrkrab2003
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers