Thoughts on Dice-K... walks a big problem? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Dice-K... walks a big problem?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Thoughts on Dice-K... walks a big problem?

Postby MTUCache » Tue May 06, 2008 12:46 pm

JoshExley wrote:
Relentless wrote:To me seriously, it looks like he is scared to throw strikes in the middle of the plate. He always try to paint the corners. I've noticed this since watching him pitch from last year. I wonder if he was also like this in Japan.

He is so frustrating to watch as a fan. Throws so many pitches and you want to yell at him to just throw a strike!
I had to turn the game off last night. Between him and Bonderman I wanted to jump out a window.

Yeah, it did get pretty ridiculous last night... two and half hours into the game and it was still the top half of the sixth inning. Both pitchers were taking forever and throwing so many pitches.

The most frustrating thing (as a DiceK owner) was that on those few occasions when he did throw it, his fastball was actually working. How many first-pitch breaking balls are you going to throw six inches off the plate when you know nobody is first-pitch swinging? Get ahead of somebody already!!!!

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any selling high on this guy right now... not that he couldn't be a little over-valued, but most of the guys who were ranked ahead of him that you would want to trade up for are literally light-years ahead of him right now (Peavy, Webb, Zambrano), and the rest are struggling mightily (Smoltz, Oswalt, Lackey, Sabathia, Verlander). The best you could hope for selling DiceK "high" right now would be a lateral move to a Harang or Halladay...

I figure I'm going to hang onto him for the time being and keep starting him. I'm still #1 in WHIP, but losing my lead with every start. Eventually I'll be forced to make some kind of decision on him, but I don't see any benefit to making it right now... another couple of starts from now (MIN/MIL?/KC) I don't see his value changing any.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thoughts on Dice-K... walks a big problem?

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Tue May 06, 2008 1:55 pm

thedude wrote:He doesn't really give up hits, but the walks are huge problem in that he is having to leave game early. Dice-K is turning into a modern day Nolan Ryan, and that is not a compliment.

Yeah, his pitch counts have been ridiculous. He was at 88 in the 4th inning last night....he's killing the bullpen, who haven't been all that strong to begin with, and this propensity to dance around the plate all night does not bode well as the weather gets warmer and the season wears on. As a fan, I'm really hoping Farrell can help him get it together and start throwing more strikes.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers