Thoughts on Dice-K... walks a big problem? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Dice-K... walks a big problem?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Thoughts on Dice-K... walks a big problem?

Postby Matthias » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:47 pm

Field wrote:Isn't this exactly what Billingsley did yesterday? I haven't seen any noticeable difference in Dice-K's approach so far this year. On the surface his results are better, but that's largely due to sample size. Matsuzaka still nibbles far too much and doesn't pitch to contact. I never insinuated that Bills or Cain would outproduce Dice-K this year, I just said that they were in a similarly frustrating stage of development. Even so, Cain and Billingsley posted better fantasy numbers LAST season (according to Yahoo ranks) than Dice-K so to say that you expect Dice-K to be a top 10 SP and that there's no way the other two could doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I think you are looking far too closely at the YTD figures after only a handful of starts.

There was a lot of pressure and focus on Matsuzaka last season. I believe a year of adjustment will allow him to have a better season this year than Cain or Billingsley, that's all. And I'm not so concerned about his walk rate as long as his WHIP rate stays low enough.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Spartans Rule » Mon May 05, 2008 11:09 pm

1K, 8 BB in five innings tonight. Somehow gets out of it with only 2 hits and 1 earned run, and goes to 5-0 on the season.

To me, Dice-K is screaming sell high right now, especially if the guys in your league aren't real big on sabermetrics. He's 5-0 with a 2.43 ERA and has big name recognition value. To the untrained eye, it looks like his breakout year. But 27 BB in 40.2 IP means trouble ahead. It has to, right?
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue May 06, 2008 1:35 am

Spartans Rule wrote:1K, 8 BB in five innings tonight. Somehow gets out of it with only 2 hits and 1 earned run, and goes to 5-0 on the season.

To me, Dice-K is screaming sell high right now, especially if the guys in your league aren't real big on sabermetrics. He's 5-0 with a 2.43 ERA and has big name recognition value. To the untrained eye, it looks like his breakout year. But 27 BB in 40.2 IP means trouble ahead. It has to, right?

I might try to sell him high, but my league counts K/BB, so it won't be easy. On my staff I have Daisuke, Billingsley, and Hill, all of which have murdered my K/BB thus far although all of them had respectable numbers in that category last year.

If Daisuke can start to perform at about his last year average of 2.5 K/BB, he should keep his other peripherals looking good. Today was probably a low point for his value in competitive leagues. Most owners know that 8 BBs to 1 K is a red flag.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby Kingctb27 » Tue May 06, 2008 3:13 am

yes, if it keeps up this will be a huge problem. Interesting enough, Dice K's walks were not near this bad last year. It looked like he was trying to pitch for the Strike out tonight and the Mo-town hitters where not going for anything. Have him in my big money auction league, and I am tempted to trade him for someone like Cano right now.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby nsulham » Tue May 06, 2008 4:38 am

FWIW, Daisuke was pretty under the weather all day so that might have had a little something to do with the unusual amount of walks. That's not letting him off the hook for other performances though, just that I doubt we'll see another eight-walk game.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Tue May 06, 2008 8:50 am

nsulham wrote: I doubt we'll see another eight-walk game.

I sure hope you're right....
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue May 06, 2008 9:05 am

i think Daisuke is Japanese for "walk"
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Relentless » Tue May 06, 2008 12:14 pm

To me seriously, it looks like he is scared to throw strikes in the middle of the plate. He always try to paint the corners. I've noticed this since watching him pitch from last year. I wonder if he was also like this in Japan.
Relentless
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JoshExley » Tue May 06, 2008 12:36 pm

Relentless wrote:To me seriously, it looks like he is scared to throw strikes in the middle of the plate. He always try to paint the corners. I've noticed this since watching him pitch from last year. I wonder if he was also like this in Japan.

He is so frustrating to watch as a fan. Throws so many pitches and you want to yell at him to just throw a strike!
I had to turn the game off last night. Between him and Bonderman I wanted to jump out a window.
JoshExley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Tue May 06, 2008 12:37 pm

He doesn't really give up hits, but the walks are huge problem in that he is having to leave game early. Dice-K is turning into a modern day Nolan Ryan, and that is not a compliment.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers