Waiver Wire Work - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Waiver Wire Work

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Waiver Wire Work

Postby mannin52 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:30 pm

This has been bugging me all year.

Remember those those guys that you had on your draft sheet, but when the last couple of picks come and go and you didn'tr draft them. Well now they are tearing it up (ervin santana, kubel, e. jackson, wolf, etc.) What do you do? Do you cut bait on some slumpers you did draft with those last couple picks and pick up the other guys? Or do you wait it out and risk getting ticked off when other managers pick 'em up?
mannin52
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Waiver Wire Work

Postby jimmyfunk » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:49 pm

You really need to be more specific about your question.... i.e. who are we talking about cutting bait with and for whom... roster always helps.
jimmyfunk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Captain Furtah » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:44 pm

I say do it

usually how people perform early on is an indicator for the rest of the season. like they say in any situation, you never get a second chance at a first impresion. so i don't care who it is, if they are struggling, you have to dump them for a hot bat on the wire...
Bleachergm.blogspot.com
Captain Furtah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:03 pm

Depends on the players, April is a throwaway month, for every hot guy who goes on to have a good year there is one who goes on to be crappy. If you were high on them going into the season and they are off to a good start I'd go after them if you can. If they are just some scrub you feel came out of nowhere I'd avoid picking them up to replace your slumpers.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby markj11 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:05 pm

mannin52 wrote:This has been bugging me all year.

Remember those those guys that you had on your draft sheet, but when the last couple of picks come and go and you didn'tr draft them. Well now they are tearing it up (ervin santana, kubel, e. jackson, wolf, etc.) What do you do? Do you cut bait on some slumpers you did draft with those last couple picks and pick up the other guys? Or do you wait it out and risk getting ticked off when other managers pick 'em up?

I would do it if you are talking about dropping your late round sleepers that aren't panning out.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bluejkrew » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:08 pm

Usually if a player you drafted w/ one of your last picks is off to a bad start, there's minimal risk in dropping him since he's more than likely to clear waivers (i.e. Khalil Greene).

However, like the guy said above, be more specific about players just in case (and post it in the DTK & W forum).
bluejkrew
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby mannin52 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:02 pm

i wasn't trying to be specific, i wanted to make a generalization about those late round flyers you had high hopes for. but i do like what the one guys said. i didn't invest a lot into them, so whats the big deal about cutting bait.
mannin52
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby woodson_28 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:00 pm

I agree that it's best to cut bait and pick up the players that are performing. The last 5 picks I had in a draft were, Dye, Thome, Delgado, Betancourt (RP) and Pena (RP). I held onto them for a about 4 weeks into the season before I made any moves, which I now regret. Here are a few guys that were picked up in FA while I held onto Delgado, Dye, etc...

McLouth, Ibañez, J. Upton, Fukudome and Bourne

*EDIT: Also, I ended up cutting all those players anyway.

I cut Dye for Ellsbury
Thome for C. Granderson (owner cut him)
Delgado for J. Ceuto
Betancourt for E. Volquez
Pena for Sherrill
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby yourgodsdice » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:15 pm

The smallest league I am in is 12 teams. I have four 20 teamers. I am winning 4/7 of my leagues. I have yet to make a trade in any of my leagues. I've just been working the waiver wire like mad and making sure I have good lineups going each day. Maybe I'm just being lucky, but I truly believe that you can't get too attached to the player and focus on what players you can work with can give you an edge or at least a chance each day.
yourgodsdice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 18)

Return to Baseball Leftovers