Is it highly unlikely that Carpenter will be effective when - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Is it highly unlikely that Carpenter will be effective when

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is it highly unlikely that Carpenter will be effective when

Postby Nomarrrrrrrrrr » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:20 am

he comes back? Is it unrealistic to expect him to pitch the 2nd half and get 8-9 wins with 80k and a 3.50 ERA in 90 IP or so?
Nomarrrrrrrrrr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is it highly unlikely that Carpenter will be effective when

Postby Oatsdad » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:43 am

I think it's unlikely that he'll be great - or even really good - right out of the box. If the guy comes back in July, he won't have pitched, really, in almost TWO YEARS! He's worth a DL spot for the time being, but he's iffy when he returns...
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hoya1982 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:56 am

Yeah, look at Liriano. If Carperenter comes back late July at the earliest and then it takes him a month to start being effective again there is not too much time to impact your team IMO.
hoya1982
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby anti elian » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:09 am

Yes, history predicts he'll have a lot of trouble regaining his pre-injury control. He'll probably be similar to a youngster in that he'll have outings where he'll dominate and others where he can't find the plate and it'll be nearly impossible to predict which one is coming on a given night.
anti elian
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Nomarrrrrrrrrr » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:21 am

anti elian wrote:Yes, history predicts he'll have a lot of trouble regaining his pre-injury control. He'll probably be similar to a youngster in that he'll have outings where he'll dominate and others where he can't find the plate and it'll be nearly impossible to predict which one is coming on a given night.

OK then I am definitely not picking him up until atleast a few months from now and probably someone else will grab him first. I have Pedro and Borowski on the DL already.
Nomarrrrrrrrrr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Noggy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:34 pm

I've heard a lot of pitchers say that they don't feel 100% until 18 months after they had Tommy John surgery. He went under the knife on July 19th, so him even being back this July is pushing it. And once he is back, I'm not so interesed in 1-2 inconsistent months. I think the 2009 draft is when he'll be a good sleeper pick and that's when I plan on targeting him. Somebody else in my league can have fun with him this year.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby anti elian » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:42 pm

Noggy wrote:I've heard a lot of pitchers say that they don't feel 100% until 18 months after they had Tommy John surgery. He went under the knife on July 19th, so him even being back this July is pushing it. And once he is back, I'm not so interesed in 1-2 inconsistent months. I think the 2009 draft is when he'll be a good sleeper pick and that's when I plan on targeting him. Somebody else in my league can have fun with him this year.

Yeah, I have him in a keeper league so I'm either trying to sell high after his first good start or I'm sitting on him until 2009.
anti elian
College Coach
College Coach

Postby absolut typical » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:34 pm

i have two dl spots in my league. I am stashing him away to use in the playoffs.

Championship!
absolut typical
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby hoya1982 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:59 pm

Nomarrrrrrrrrr wrote:
anti elian wrote:Yes, history predicts he'll have a lot of trouble regaining his pre-injury control. He'll probably be similar to a youngster in that he'll have outings where he'll dominate and others where he can't find the plate and it'll be nearly impossible to predict which one is coming on a given night.

OK then I am definitely not picking him up until atleast a few months from now and probably someone else will grab him first. I have Pedro and Borowski on the DL already.

LOL, I don't think Carpenter will do much, but I like his chances better than Borowski.
hoya1982
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates